Do we have a problem with discipline?

Ellafella

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a few players in our ranks who appear to be unable to control their petulant outbursts and regularly over react to the opposition wind up merchants. We all know who they are/he is!?! 

But the biggest issue we have is.... several of the referees in this division appear to have bigger egos than the players, for example Darren England and Jeremy Simpson are names that come to mind immediately!

It’s like a role reversal to the Premier League. 

The stats certainly suggest something is amiss. But that’s three reds in four games, all after 90 minutes are on the clock. Lawrence’s was silly, I think the other two were more over eagerness to get things going than any ill discipline.

What we can say though, is that it’s costing us. Missing Lawrence and Waghorn is huge. Bielik probably doesn’t wind up with his injury if he doesn’t get sent off. We probably win at Reading with 11 men.

9 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

True. However, if you look at the video there is a suggestion of a forward movement by Sibley’s foot and then a backwards motion so officials will say it was a disguised kick by Sibley which was interpreted as serious foul play. Remarkable that the WBA player was the aggressor by clamping Sibley’s foot between his legs preventing Sibley from untangling. Should have been at least a yellow for the WBA player . . . But not even a telling off. 

But that's down to the referees interpretation rather than poor discipline. I've not watched it again since last night but I seem to recall the movement was minimal and consistent with trying to free his foot rather than kicking the player. I'll watch it again later in the cool light of day and may have a different opinion. 

7 straight reds is an absolutely obscene number. You can try and blame it on poor referees (of which there are many at this level) but when you’ve got stats like that across a season, you’re deluding yourself if you think we haven’t got a discipline problem. It definitely exists in our squad, and it’s really hurting our chances at the moment. We need to sort it out going into next season.

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

But that's down to the referees interpretation rather than poor discipline. I've not watched it again since last night but I seem to recall the movement was minimal and consistent with trying to free his foot rather than kicking the player. I'll watch it again later in the cool light of day and may have a different opinion. 

I watched it again.  Sibley was initially trying to get his foot out which was trapped but then he had a little kick / dig .

Its clear as day but very harsh. 

It’s all about interpretation 

I think we need to split the reds into two categories one for late tackles like Malone v Reading and Beilek, Waghorn and the other that are more avoidable like Lawrence, Lowe and maybe Sibleys. 
I don’t think a late tackle can be classed too much as poor discipline more clumsiness or too slow or not good enough. The head butts pushing refs and loose kicks can be avoided and is poor discipline.

2 minutes ago, sage said:

Even the Red Dogs on their cave drawing forum think it was a ridiculous sending off and will be rescinded. 

I agree first look it seems he did nothing.  I suggest you look again 

PS It’s harsh but I doubt it will be overturned but I hope it is. 

8 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I agree first look it seems he did nothing.  I suggest you look again 

PS It’s harsh but I doubt it will be overturned but I hope it is. 

He was petulant in the way he got his foot out and i said yesterday that he needs to learn as he is being targeted. 

But...it wasn't a red. I would have given both a yellow. 

42 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

True. However, if you look at the video there is a suggestion of a forward movement by Sibley’s foot and then a backwards motion so officials will say it was a disguised kick by Sibley which was interpreted as serious foul play. 

Ridiculous interpretation, he'd tried to get free by pulling and the player wasn't letting go, why should he wait when we're trying to get back in the game? That slight forward motion being interpreted as a kick out is utterly ridiculous. 

No. Sibley and Lawrence didn’t deserve their red cards.

i noticed though that Shinnie has 8 yellow cards now, he needs to cut that out especially in his position. With the amount of minutes that he’s played 8 is far too many.

We were too nice under Frank especially away from home. 

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Ridiculous interpretation, he'd tried to get free by pulling and the player wasn't letting go, why should he wait when we're trying to get back in the game? That slight forward motion being interpreted as a kick out is utterly ridiculous. 

I agree. The only forward motion is because his foot is trapped by his shins thus moving his foot up towards his knees he can get out. 

Just now, ThePrisoner said:

I agree. The only forward motion is because his foot is trapped by his shins thus moving his foot up towards his knees he can get out. 

The ref allowed them lots and allowed us less than nothing!

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He wasn't petulant, else he'd have connected properly, he was trying to get free to get the game going!

Yes I agree he wasn’t petulant. He was very restrained. However, we collectively need to get smarter with referees and not give them a way in to make their dim-witted decisions. I remember a documentary from 1976 about Jack Taylor and the feature was him refereeing the FA Cup semi between Derby and Man Ure - seem to recall Roy Mac speaking constantly to Jack throughout the game and being respectful but firm about disagreements. Roy “managed” the ref. Maybe we don’t do that? 

Anyway, I don’t think we are a rough/dirty team but we do have a disciplinary problem which we need to sort for next season. Clearly it has cost us a lot this year. We can learn a lot from Rugby. 

I think that the ref nailed his colours too the mast when booking Whittaker for diving at the end of the first half. 

There was clearly a hand in his back and look at the location of the incident anyway, was it in the penalty area or on the edge of the penalty area, no, it was right out by the touch line. He was hardly trying to gain a significant advantage. 

Archived