Do we have a problem with discipline?

Ellafella

28 minutes ago, ossieram said:

The ref was very inconsistant last night and let them get away with niggly stuff all night whilst clamping down on our players.

Grosicki should have been was the first to see yellow when he couldn't catch Bogle and took him out from behind but the ref didn't even speak to him.

Sibley was clearly manhandled from behind on the edge of the box in the 1st half and was given nothing.

Evans took a kick to the nads and got nowt.

Bird took a whack to the face, nothing.

Martin clearly pulled down, nothing.

Whittacker small nudge in the back and goes over, gets booked. Yet the same 2 players are involved again early in the 2nd half and Whittacker puts his hand on the their player and he goes over, ref gives them a freekick.

Sibley goes for a ball in their box and they get a freekick for a high boot, 2 of their players go for high balls in the Derby box and the ref plays on.

The red card for Sibley really topped off a bad performance for the ref and if Bamford got a ban for cheating last season, their player has to be looking at something similar if they seriously want to stop the cheats.

The wife and dog were really happy when the final whistle went last night and I went off to work because I can't remember a time where I have been sat watching a match on the telly and ranted so much about a ref.

She was very happy by the time I arrived @ossieram ?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

A lot of rose tinted West Brom fans seem to think he was having a go for his knackers. If that's the case he's in the wrong business . As Sibleys foot was just above his knees he must have a 2 foot schlong and could make a fortune elsewhere. 

You couldn't be more wrong!  

...We don't earn anywhere near as much in this business, as these bloody footballers do!

There is a real discrepancy between the amount of cards we've got and our overall discipline as a side.
Looking at it in terms of raw figures, we top the table for cards received, but are only the 13th most "dirty" team in terms of how many fouls we've made over the season. Applying the 1 point for yellow, 5 points for red system that Transfermarkt uses, but substituting in accurate numbers, the number of fouls each team committed per disciplinary point is as follows:
image.png.e13e00d53ec16be4bbde81cfacd908b0.png

The higher the number of FpP, the more fouls a team have been allowed to make before they get booked. We have, by some way, the lowest number of fouls allowed per booking in the league.

13 minutes ago, JfR said:

There is a real discrepancy between the amount of cards we've got and our overall discipline as a side.
Looking at it in terms of raw figures, we top the table for cards received, but are only the 13th most "dirty" team in terms of how many fouls we've made over the season. Applying the 1 point for yellow, 5 points for red system that Transfermarkt uses, but substituting in accurate numbers, the number of fouls each team committed per disciplinary point is as follows:

The higher the number of FpP, the more fouls a team have been allowed to make before they get booked. We have, by some way, the lowest number of fouls allowed per booking in the league.

Brilliant piece of analysis @JfR and suggests something worthy of deeper investigation. I suspect that would be a statistically significant result suggesting something “real” underpins it. 

41 minutes ago, JfR said:

That helps my paranoia no end !

38 minutes ago, JfR said:

Have our points tally been inflated by latest three sending offs adding an extra 15 points this would have put us very close to Fulham.

46 minutes ago, JfR said:

Does that then suggest we pick up a lot of bookings through recovery tackles? Like Shinnie’s last night as a means of covering Forsyth being out of position?

We have to remember that we get the same refs as every other team in the league. 

We have too many players who seem to pick-up a booking at least every time they walk onto the pitch.  Lawrence, Sibley, Holmes, Bogle and Shinnie particularly.  We have other players who never seem to get booked even though tackling is a big part of their role e.g. Clarke and Bird who both have only one booking all season.  We need the former group to not put themselves in the situation that gives the referee a decision to make.  Even the 'red' last night could have been better managed if Sibley had not tried to fight his foot free or indeed gone down himself.  

It is very easy to say the refs are biased, I believe the reality is we have certain players who need to become more game savy and learn not to put themselves in the situation where the ref has the option to book them.  For example, I can't really see any issue with any of Lawrence's 12 (yes twelve) yellow cards this season. 

7 hours ago, 1of4 said:

In the game last night against WBA, the stats said we committed 14 fouls while they committed 11, just 3 less than us

Yet we got 4 yellow and 1 red while they got none.

Yeh I've found this odd all season

I don't think we're a particularly nasty side but we keep getting more yellows than other teams - And more free kicks given against us

Not sure why it is

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Yeh I've found this odd all season

I don't think we're a particularly nasty side but we keep getting more yellows than other teams - And more free kicks given against us

Not sure why it is

An argument you can potentially make is that given how we play it's not uncommon to have counter attacks against us after we've potentially lost the ball with a bunch of players forward. In that situation players are more likely to make desperate tackles and frequently referees are going to book players because it looks cynical. 

Add to that we've had a couple of the stranger red cards in Sibleys and Lawrences (not arguing right or wrong just saying the situation is unusual).

11 hours ago, jimbobram said:

without counting yesterdays red card it would suggest a problem. It's more surprising than anything as we are a team who like to keep the ball. Surely a team who is chasing the ball would be getting more cards. 

That's a fair point. The Lawrence and Waghorn red cards were acts of irresponsible stupidity, rather than a reflection of a (on field) club discipline problem. 

14 hours ago, brady1993 said:

An argument you can potentially make is that given how we play it's not uncommon to have counter attacks against us after we've potentially lost the ball with a bunch of players forward. In that situation players are more likely to make desperate tackles and frequently referees are going to book players because it looks cynical

Haha that's a good point - And I'd argue that most of the time the fouls ARE cynical! 

7 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Haha that's a good point - And I'd argue that most of the time the fouls ARE cynical! 

Oh generally it is or at least they are committed to stopping the play regardless of winning the ball. And to be honest it's generally the correct thing to do but it's almost always a yellow.

20 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Brilliant piece of analysis @JfR and suggests something worthy of deeper investigation. I suspect that would be a statistically significant result suggesting something “real” underpins it. 

I've long had a feeling that our white shirt sleeves and socks make it easer for refs to pick up on misdemeanours. 

For a while on televised games I started to see if there was any correlation  with strips and fouls given , and there did seem to be some, but maybe I was looking for it.

It is noticeable these days that away teams often wear very drab almost camouflaged colours. Possibly they have made the link.?

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

Yes we do have a problem.

Not so sure we do,Take the Waghorn and Lawrence ones out as they were always going to be Red all the others are so marginal other referees may of just seen them as Yellow

Archived