Do we have a problem with discipline?

Ellafella

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of those reds will be chalked off, well it should be. Not a chance Sibley should have walked last night.

I would prefer to question the standard of refereeing which has been atrocious recently.

19 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Table seems to suggest we do. Do we? What needs to happen to improve this?

Thoughts?

discipline.JPG

Sibley should never have been sent off and hopefully it will be rescinded. Waggy's was a rash/clumsy challenge rather than poor discipline. 

I can't remember the others apart from Lawrence which was poor personal discipline.

3 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

In the game last night against WBA, the stats said we committed 14 fouls while they committed 11, just 3 less than us

Yet we got 4 yellow and 1 red while they got none.

There were some stark examples of abject inconsistency by the ref last night. If you analyse the pattern it has the hallmark of the ref being biased against Derby, though I don’t think it was a conspiracy just incompetence. If you listen to PC’s post match Rooney was apoplectic with the 4th official when he left the pitch. 

Where have all the good refs gone? 

25 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Always think that reds are often a silly one off. Our other stats don't look that bad.

Can anyone list the 7 reds?

1. Sibley

2. Waghorn

3. Lawrence

4. Malone

5. Bielik

6. Lowe??

7. Boggle??

Are #6 and #7 right?? 

3 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

without counting yesterdays red card it would suggest a problem. It's more surprising than anything as we are a team who like to keep the ball. Surely a team who is chasing the ball would be getting more cards. 

Yesterday's wasn't an example of poor discipline. It was poor refereeing. 

I doubt there are many players in the league that wouldn't have struggled to free their trapped foot in the same way. 

I think a few of the reds we've seen this season have been debatable - though that table lists 7, can only think of 6?

Malone vs. Reading - I was surprised this was a red - for it to have been a red AND a penalty would mean there was no intent to play the ball. Not what I thought at the time, thought it was soft at best.

Bielik vs. Charlton - Thought this one was correct. Late.

Lowe vs. Luton - Laid a hand on the ref, after a backpass incident if memory serves? Think that was harsh. A ref looking to set an example?

Lawrence vs. Reading - Correct, but I do feel for Lawrence with that one. Miazga got off lightly with just the 3 games imo.

Waghorn vs. Forest - Correct, but it was clumsy rather than intentional. 

Sibley vs. WBA - No idea what the ref thought. O'Shea's reaction wasn't helpful, to put it lightly.

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

Yesterday's wasn't an example of poor discipline. It was poor refereeing. 

I doubt there are many players in the league that wouldn't have struggled to free their trapped foot in the same way. 

True. However, if you look at the video there is a suggestion of a forward movement by Sibley’s foot and then a backwards motion so officials will say it was a disguised kick by Sibley which was interpreted as serious foul play. Remarkable that the WBA player was the aggressor by clamping Sibley’s foot between his legs preventing Sibley from untangling. Should have been at least a yellow for the WBA player . . . But not even a telling off. 

I’ve said all along although yesterday was harsh. .

Sibley has to control the amount of bookings he gets.  

He has to learn but you we  don’t want to take away his competitiveness.

The Red won’t be rescinded has he did have a slight kick but it was harsh 

5 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

You've got to say yes, we do.

We don't get yellows and eventually reds  through being tough and committed - we get so many silly bookings, avoidable bookings and ridiculous sending off (looking at you Lawrence).

It's certainly something to be worked on.

Exactly. Spot on. We need to be much smarter and more mature. Look where Dirty Leeds are in the discipline table. There is always a strong negative correlation between League position and discipline and Cloughie Snr knew that. 

I don’t think you can draw any conclusions from such a tiny sample size 

It was only a couple of years ago I think we had only 1 red so this is probably just chance evening things up 

On paper we do but I just haven’t seen it - I do believe the referees have been extremely harsh on Derby this season both with yellow cards red cards and penalties given against us, those paranoid would say it’s a conspiracy - which it might be !

Archived