Do we have a problem with discipline?

Ellafella

47 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I watched it again.  Sibley was initially trying to get his foot out which was trapped but then he had a little kick / dig .

Its clear as day but very harsh. 

It’s all about interpretation 

As you say, all down to interpretation. However, I have watched it again now several times and don’t believe there was any forward motion with an intent to kick the player - just natural movement when trying to free his foot.

I suppose, in defence of the referee, he didn’t have the benefit of VAR, which I hope would have overruled the decision, and the way the West Brom player reacted conned the ref into thinking he had been kicked.

I seriously hope the club do indeed challenge the decision.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Roy “managed” the ref. Maybe we don’t do that? 

I think Wayne does, but he was up against a real 'big boys homer' of an incompetent ref last night, no wonder he was fuming. 

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think Wayne does, but he was up against a real 'big boys homer' of an incompetent ref last night, no wonder he was fuming. 

Yes. You’re right he does. I wonder if Wayne may have inadvertently made things worse? 

The number of times this season our players have been booked for a first offence, and often a soft one,  despite persistent fouling by an opposition player going unpunished is quite frankly ridiculous.

do genuinely think some refs are put-out by Rooney talking to them, because let's be honest, he probably holds more authority and respect than many of them.

22 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

As you say, all down to interpretation. However, I have watched it again now several times and don’t believe there was any forward motion with an intent to kick the player - just natural movement when trying to free his foot.

I suppose, in defence of the referee, he didn’t have the benefit of VAR, which I hope would have overruled the decision, and the way the West Brom player reacted conned the ref into thinking he had been kicked.

I seriously hope the club do indeed challenge the decision.

I would hope the West Brom player gets a ban for conning the ref (was contact even made with his knee?) It obviously won't happen though.

The ref yesterday was very strange. Take Austin’s challenge on Evans for instance, it was clearly not malicious in the slightest, but he has caught him in the unmentionables - how can that not be high and dangerous? He obviously didn’t mean to hurt him but it was a dangerous tackle without even a talking to. A foul doesn’t have to be malicious to be a yellow card or worse in today’s game, e.g. Waghorn the other day or Nketiah for Arsenal v Leicester.

You then had Whittaker booked for being pushed. Not saying it was a foul but not much different to Pereira falling in the box after a push from Clarke - surely those two instances have to be dealt with exactly the same? 

Then Sibley’s red which was potentially the most ridiculous red card decision I have ever seen. 

He was just highly incompetent, one of the worst I think I’ve seen. Must be very difficult to keep composure as a player when you have a referee like that. Trouble is, an incompetent manager or player will be sacked or dropped. An incompetent referee seems to roll up at a new ground next week to piss off a new set of fans.

The Pereira one was the last straw for me. If you book Whittaker for something very similar, where's the consistency? If the ref doesn't think it's a penalty - which, I have to be honest, I was waiting for - then surely its simulation. It can't be neither.

Yes there's going to be decisions that are borderline, I accept that. But deal with them in the same way. If one incident is a foul, and a yellow, then both are. Same goes for the old cliche 'anywhere else on the pitch it's a booking', or even worse when a challenge isn't worthy of a card in the first 5 minutes, why is the same challenge on the 55th minute a yellow?

10 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Just seen it again. Sibley did look like he kicked him before lifting his foot out. Watch it from the side angle 

Moving his foot slightly forward hardly constitutes a kick.

I have a horrible feeling that the oh so totally impartial review panel will use it to justify upholding the decision though.

8 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

The Pereira one was the last straw for me. If you book Whittaker for something very similar, where's the consistency? If the ref doesn't think it's a penalty - which, I have to be honest, I was waiting for - then surely its simulation. It can't be neither.

Yes there's going to be decisions that are borderline, I accept that. But deal with them in the same way. If one incident is a foul, and a yellow, then both are. Same goes for the old cliche 'anywhere else on the pitch it's a booking', or even worse when a challenge isn't worthy of a card in the first 5 minutes, why is the same challenge on the 55th minute a yellow?

Never mind the quick free kick he allowed them to take 2nd half, about 10 yards away from the actual foul by Sibley (which is where the ref actually stood!) that then led to us short on numbers, a dangerous shot at goal & a corner!

I do think the red card will be rescinded just because the clip has now gone viral and the decision has been met with derision from pretty much all quarters. EFL will be laughed out of the room if it isn’t revoked in my opinion.

Without the clip going viral I believe they’d have protected their own.

15 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Just seen it again. Sibley did look like he kicked him before lifting his foot out. Watch it from the side angle 

From this angle it looks more like the 'kick' was to move one leg to the side so he was able to lift it out.

The West Brom player rolled around holding his right knee. If it was a kick he'd be holding his left leg/knee or his privates.

1 hour ago, Seth's left foot said:

No. Sibley and Lawrence didn’t deserve their red cards.

i noticed though that Shinnie has 8 yellow cards now, he needs to cut that out especially in his position. With the amount of minutes that he’s played 8 is far too many.

We were too nice under Frank especially away from home. 

The interesting thing about Shinnie's disciplinary record is that although he picks up a lot of yellow cards (15 in one season at Aberdeen) I don't think he has ever been sent off (at least not in the last 5 seasons). Happy to be corrected on this if I've got my stats wrong.

Suggests that though he does get a lot of yellows he is sensible about when he can and can't be at his most aggressive.

The ref was very inconsistant last night and let them get away with niggly stuff all night whilst clamping down on our players.

Grosicki should have been was the first to see yellow when he couldn't catch Bogle and took him out from behind but the ref didn't even speak to him.

Sibley was clearly manhandled from behind on the edge of the box in the 1st half and was given nothing.

Evans took a kick to the nads and got nowt.

Bird took a whack to the face, nothing.

Martin clearly pulled down, nothing.

Whittacker small nudge in the back and goes over, gets booked. Yet the same 2 players are involved again early in the 2nd half and Whittacker puts his hand on the their player and he goes over, ref gives them a freekick.

Sibley goes for a ball in their box and they get a freekick for a high boot, 2 of their players go for high balls in the Derby box and the ref plays on.

The red card for Sibley really topped off a bad performance for the ref and if Bamford got a ban for cheating last season, their player has to be looking at something similar if they seriously want to stop the cheats.

The wife and dog were really happy when the final whistle went last night and I went off to work because I can't remember a time where I have been sat watching a match on the telly and ranted so much about a ref.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I would hope the West Brom player gets a ban for conning the ref (was contact even made with his knee?) It obviously won't happen though.

saw this on twitter- from a Leeds fan as well- a valid point.

'I think there should be harsher penalties for cheating... but does this West Brom player not realise Derby have got brentford next? What a whopper'

57 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Yes, but the ref wasn't looking at it from the side.  He was looking straight on and Sibley's boot was hidden from the ref by Shea's legs.  You could equally argue that by gripping Sibley's leg so tightly Sibley had to move his foot to retain his balance and avoid falling on Shea so that it wasn't a kick at all.

If the ref claims he saw the foot movement and interpreted it as a kick then he is justifying his decision retrospectively.  Or lying, in other words.

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

saw this on twitter- from a Leeds fan as well- a valid point.

'I think there should be harsher penalties for cheating... but does this West Brom player not realise Derby have got brentford next? What a whopper'

That was one of the first things to cross my mind. Brentford and Leeds in the next three and he's cheating to make us weaker against their promotion rivals ?‍♂️

Archived