v Forest (H) - Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

I didn’t celebrate the equaliser like I should have, stuff elsewhere etc etc Just relief! But the more I look back now, even with Cardiff doing the business, The more I think hey it’s still game on, plenty of time for very strange twists and turns. Remember at Leeds Lampard was forced to make changes, well that’s what we’ll have to do now, let the youngsters shine!! 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

But why would they be pissed off?

They are above us in the league. We haven’t beaten them or outplayed them in almost three years. We have scored just once against them in that time. They have a far better chance of getting promoted. They would have settled for a point at the start of play so a draw is still a good result for them.

I love gloating. But it helps if there is something to gloat about...

Anybody would think you've never experienced the pain and disappointment of conceding a last minute equaliser regardless of how your team played, previous results or league positions.

We didn't play well, we didn't deserve a point and they are rightly above us in the league. They'll soon get over it (it's not a result that's going to make any difference to their league position) but I'm sure it hurt them at the time so, let's celebrate that as I'm sure they would if the roles were reversed. 

Let's get some context still.  Yeah we played poorly.  Too slow. Too much sideways with little movement forward. But don't forget we now have a core of inexperienced players straight out of the academy.  Bird, Whittaker, Knight and Bogle are 19, Sibley 18, Lowe 22.  What Cocu has done this season with all the crap we've had is amazing.  We played cr4p but still got a point.  Forest (dare I say, sadly, a better team than us at present) intentionally played anti-football.  A plan that worked, aided by us.  I think all Derby fans would be happy just to finish this season strongly, make the play-offs even but, for me, I expect next season to be the one. I really do. 

OK, time for some Call of Duty. Laters. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

SO true. And obviously for some that it was scored by the Wardrobe, who'd been desperate for a Derby goal, made it ALL the sweeter.  ??

I’m really pleased for you @RoyMac5it must feel like all your Christmas’s have come at once. Enjoy the moment mate ?

One last thing, altough we weren’t great, for many years we’ve not broken down teams that play like that, they until that stupid free kick we’re better strong but we found a way so fair play. 

also Zoon did ok when he came on tbf also showed plenty of passion at the end when we scored fair play to a guy that’s been left out most of the season he showed he cared 

32 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Let's get some context still.  Yeah we played poorly.  Too slow. Too much sideways with little movement forward. But don't forget we now have a core of inexperienced players straight out of the academy.  Bird, Whittaker, Knight and Bogle are 19, Sibley 18, Lowe 22.  What Cocu has done this season with all the crap we've had is amazing.  We played cr4p but still got a point.  Forest (dare I say, sadly, a better team than us at present) intentionally played anti-football.  A plan that worked, aided by us.  I think all Derby fans would be happy just to finish this season strongly, make the play-offs even but, for me, I expect next season to be the one. I really do. 

OK, time for some Call of Duty. Laters. 

Yeah, what this chap said ?

OK, first thing first...cracking ending & hilarious to see the treetards chuck it away at the end.

It did mask what was a very ordinary performance from us though. Forest were excellent throughout & should have finished us off on the counter. I did think even before the equaliser that it was a very vaulable lesson for our young team...future opponents know we like to play & will seek to crowd us out. This will be the making of Bird, Sibley & the other young lads. How do you beat a team set up like that? (Pass & move quicker and get CBs to drive into midfield)

Ratings;

Hamer 5.5 - competent at this level but not good enough for a promotion team. Shouldnt have been beaten by Lolley's goal

Bogle 6 - OK but not very incisive going forward. Couple of frustrating passes centrally when out wide & in a good position to cross

Forsyth 6.5 - sound defensively but struggled to make an impact going forward

Evans 7 - decent at the back, some decent passes into front men

Clarke 7.5 MOM - again, dominant in the air and classy as always playing from the back

Bird 7 - tough day for Max. Always available for a pass & tracking runners but a new challenge trying to get through 3 aggressive centre midfielders 

Rooney 6 - tried hard but his delivery wasnt great today. Lots of floated balls out wide when sharp incisive passing was needed. Lost possession a few times

Knight 6 - worked hard but struggled to make an impact 

Holmes 6 - few surging runs & lots of effort...some terrible delivery from wide

Martin 7 - led the line well considering the lack of service. Couple of nice layoffs & scored

Subs;

Waggy 6 - lot of impetus, 0.5 mark deduction for red card (although clogger Yates milked it for all it was worth)

Jozefzoon 6 - OK, gave some threat down the left difficult to make an impact against massed defence

Shinnie 6.5 - assist I think for the goal & looked lively

Whittaker 6 - late cameo 

Lowe 6 - bit of pace to replace Forsyth

3 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

OK, first thing first...cracking ending & hilarious to see the treetards chuck it away at the end.

It did mask what was a very ordinary performance from us though. Forest were excellent throughout & should have finished us off on the counter. I did think even before the equaliser that it was a very vaulable lesson for our young team...future opponents know we like to play & will seek to crowd us out. This will be the making of Bird, Sibley & the other young lads. How do you beat a team set up like that? (Pass & move quicker and get CBs to drive into midfield)

Ratings;

Hamer 5.5 - competent at this level but not good enough for a promotion team. Shouldnt have been beaten by Lolley's goal

Bogle 6 - OK but not very incisive going forward. Couple of frustrating passes centrally when out wide & in a good position to cross

Clarke 7.5 MOM - again, dominant in the air and classy as always playing from the back

Bird 7 - tough day for Max. Always available for a pass & tracking runners but a new challenge trying to get through 3 aggressive centre midfielders 

Rooney 6 - tried hard but his delivery wasnt great today. Lots of floated balls out wide when sharp incisive passing was needed. Lost possession a few times

Martin 7 - led the line well considering the lack of service. Couple of nice layoffs & scored

Subs;

Waggy 6 - lot of impetus, 0.5 mark deduction for red card (although clogger Yates milked it for all it was worth)

Jozefzoon 6 - OK, gave some threat down the left difficult to make an impact against massed defence

Whittaker 6 - late cameo 

You saying Sibbo was totally invisible then? ?

I actually thought he had a slow start but grew into the game well. But we need him to find where he put his scoring boots.

4 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Ratings;

Subs;

Whittaker 6 - late cameo 

Good calls. Agree Clarke MOM for me too. Rooney definitely not been same since restart, noticed surprising number of passes going astray. He hasn’t the pace to play up top for any length of time these days but his influence off the ball is immense so he’ll always be forgiven I’m sure. WBA well I’m not ruling this out for a dynamic display so let’s enjoy an end of season where we still have an interest. 

Couple words about the tactics.

Lamouchi makes mockery of one of my favorite one: 4-5-1 when defending which becomes 4-3-3 when attacking. He also uses one player support from the midfield in the attack as well. So far so good.

When you have strict lined 4-5-1, which plays narrowly and marks zonally, we would've needed proper winger to run 1 vs 1 on the wing. Problem is, FloJo is the only one who could counted as such and he doesn't seem to be the answer. Someone said we missed Lawrence. Yes, he runs with the ball and challenges his defender. Problem is, he would push the game even more towards the middle as a inside forward. And you cannot push the fullbacks very high when the other team counters mostly from the wings. Therefore, Lawrence would've been only frustrated in this game. If you think Lawrence would've made room for a surging fullback, that wouldn't been the answer either as it would've been way too risky. I think Cocu had that one spot on, fullback support wasn't as high on the pitch as usually. Our game looked bit better when we had mobility upfront, Waggy managed to brake the solid defensive shape at least a little bit. Cocu's plan to play Martin was justifiable but he should've reacted straight away after they scored. Different gameplan was needed much earlier as it was obvious the chosen wasn't working and wouldn't work after they scored.

So what's the mockery about? It's the very defensive mindset and strictness, I think Da Costa epitomised it perfectly. Guy is a striker but most of the game he was defending his heart out. Hats off to him, played well and for a team. Good way to put this tactic is to compare it another team using it. Finland's national team used to play with 451/433 about 10-15 years ago, banging goals for fun. 5 past Greece, 4 past Portugal and Belgium. And this is ducking Finland we are talking about, not Brazil. (But closer to Brazil than this Forest defesive unit.)

Whilst the performance was poor yesterday and surprisingly timid, with only Sibley taking the responsibility of running at Forest, we should remember that we are now playing top six clubs.

You can bamboozle the likes of Blackburn and Reading with patient football but the better teams will soak it up and wait for the mistake. TBF, Forest should have won by about three goals.

I was disappointed at how often we fell for a dummy or a cut inside. We seemed a bit dopey. Probably the number of games catching up but possible also fear of losing. An extra session in training on crossing a ball might be useful but that session should also include taking up good positions in the box rather than ambling in next to a defender.

I hope that whatever happens on Wednesday, we get the snap back into our passing and the bravery to spin into areas and demand the ball. We are still very much in development and Cocu will have learned a lot from yesterday.

4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

You saying Sibbo was totally invisible then? ?

I actually thought he had a slow start but grew into the game well. But we need him to find where he put his scoring boots.

Ratings part 2 ? (post alcohol blur)

Sibley 6.5 - yeah agree. He found it very difficult to establish space early on. Was ultimate test of technique receiving the ball with that midfield snapping around him. Second half he was better with the ball & looked more of a threat. 

Sith Happens
11 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Why not - I absolutely went nuts when that equaliser went in, I couldn’t give two fooks what preceded it at that very moment. If you’re questioning “gloating” and a joke over a rival then I fear we can’t enjoy or do anything anymore..... lighten up a little, sometimes being less serious can be FUN

Genuine question for you, as you are in the know on these things.  Do you know the reason Forest were given possession when we were in possession and attacking and the game was stopped because Yates was down injured ?

it wasn't a foul, just didn't make sense.  Surely we should have been given possession,  or at least a drop ball and Forest giving us the ball back.

6 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Genuine question for you, as you are in the know on these things.  Do you know the reason Forest were given possession when we were in possession and attacking and the game was stopped because Yates was down injured ?

it wasn't a foul, just didn't make sense.  Surely we should have been given possession,  or at least a drop ball and Forest giving us the ball back.

With the new drop ball rule that came at the start of this season (wow that seems a long time ago), if the game is stopped and the ball is in the penalty area it is always given to the keeper, whichever team had possession. 

Archived