Forwards

Dinnitdough

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, irobinson said:

I can see Lawrence being dropped after Sat - and playing Waggy on the wing and Martin down the middle

then goals galore!!

Lawrence had a tidy game and will continue to start almost every game when fit. The question is who plays on the right - Holmes, Knight or Waghorn seem the most likely, but we could see Jozefzoon get a go.

I suspect Waghorn was preferred to Martin because of his defensve work. 

I was watching him and throughout the match he was barking orders at Sibley and telling him where to go and who to watch when out of possession. 

Martin has plenty of talents, but he does have a habit of moaning at people when they don't do what they should, while Waghorn is more of a 'unlucky, do better next time' kind of motivator.

Think thay played a bigger part in Cocu's thinking than people might realise. 

1 hour ago, irobinson said:

I can see Lawrence being dropped after Sat - and playing Waggy on the wing and Martin down the middle

then goals galore!!

I dont think he will be dropped. I saw a stat that he made more tackles than any other player on the field on saturday. He didnt stand out going forward but he put a shift in. 

As a club we have a good choice between Waghorn and Martin up top. 

Martin is good for when teams sit deep with two banks of 4 and allow no spaces in between as he thrives in these situations. 

Wahgorn is a good striker for when we need to press from the front, counter and there is more space to play into. 

Both produce a decent goal return for this level and scoring from strikers hasn’t been the problem this season. The issue has been a lack of goals from midfield which Lawerence before the break and Sibley after it are helping to solve. 

There is horses for courses and Cocu uses both of our options well. 

What about we agree we have two rather ducking solid options up top rather than argue who'd be better at it? Think most of us are not far off agreeing here that Martin and Waggy can both contribute accordingly - Think Waggy is better off the ball and positioning, whilst Martin is better when he flicks on or bring others players into the game

16 hours ago, jimbobram said:

I dont think he will be dropped. I saw a stat that he made more tackles than any other player on the field on saturday. He didnt stand out going forward but he put a shift in. 

Correct. 5 tackles completed. Three Millwall players made 4 tackles, and another three made 3. The 2nd best from Derby was Bogle with 3.

14 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

What about we agree we have two rather ducking solid options up top rather than argue who'd be better at it? Think most of us are not far off agreeing here that Martin and Waggy can both contribute accordingly - Think Waggy is better off the ball and positioning, whilst Martin is better when he flicks on or bring others players into the game

You’re right for once. I really don’t understand the mass hysteria when Martin isn’t picked. 

Martin, Waghorn and Marriott are all very different types of forwards, when I see people comparing the basic of stats in goals and assists I have to shake my head a little. 

Football is a team game, you want/need players that bring something different to the table and the ability to adapt to the players on the pitch.

We have seen before what happens with  rigid system and no like for like clone when a player goes down.

Saturday 12pm you would have thought Cocu wrote the game off by playing Waghorn over Martin, after the game he explained his decision and you know what, we won. 

So even though his decision was justified, I know we will have to go through the same posts on Saturday if fans favourite player isn’t picked. 

It’s ok to prefer Martin over Waghorn, but let’s not sit here and make out that Waghorn is some kind of useless donkey that leaves us playing with 10 men.

He’s far from being a donkey and I’m completely baffled why he has been singled out for this kind of topic following a win which he put a real team performance in.

14 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

This post is excellent, and dare I say, rare, for these pages.  Well written.  Factual... Yes... Factual!  Full of common sense, accuracy, and fairness.

I like it... despite it looking out of place on here!  ?

51 minutes ago, David said:

You’re right for once. I really don’t understand the mass hysteria when Martin isn’t picked. 

Martin, Waghorn and Marriott are all very different types of forwards, when I see people comparing the basic of stats in goals and assists I have to shake my head a little. 

Football is a team game, you want/need players that bring something different to the table and the ability to adapt to the players on the pitch.

We have seen before what happens with  rigid system and no like for like clone when a player goes down.

Saturday 12pm you would have thought Cocu wrote the game off by playing Waghorn over Martin, after the game he explained his decision and you know what, we won. 

So even though his decision was justified, I know we will have to go through the same posts on Saturday if fans favourite player isn’t picked. 

It’s ok to prefer Martin over Waghorn, but let’s not sit here and make out that Waghorn is some kind of useless donkey that leaves us playing with 10 men.

He’s far from being a donkey and I’m completely baffled why he has been singled out for this kind of topic following a win which he put a real team performance in.

@Mafiabob reading this comment

surprise wtf GIF

I think we'll cash in on Marriott with a potential swap deal and have to splurge an additional £2m. Hopefully a small lump from Man City for Carson will cover that. Whilst retaining Waghorn and Martin.

Unless Whiticker and Ingram can offer more sooner rather than later. They've got the opportunity right now with Marriott out and 5 subs in a game. 

23 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

I suspect Waghorn was preferred to Martin because of his defensve work. 

I was watching him and throughout the match he was barking orders at Sibley and telling him where to go and who to watch when out of possession. 

Martin has plenty of talents, but he does have a habit of moaning at people when they don't do what they should, while Waghorn is more of a 'unlucky, do better next time' kind of motivator.

Think thay played a bigger part in Cocu's thinking than people might realise. 

Possibly the other thought I had was Waghorn is more likely to make runs in behind to potentially open up that gap of space just in front of the centre backs that Sibley likes to drop in to.

5 hours ago, David said:

You’re right yet again. I really don’t understand the mass hysteria when Martin isn’t picked. 

FIFY

4 hours ago, rynny said:

@Mafiabob reading this comment

surprise wtf GIF

It's all this public speaking and writing I do - I'm a changed man. I talk and the people will nod and listen.

What type of striker do we think Cocu would ideally want? 

Obviously a complete striker is unobtainable at this level, and if we are looking at this position we’ll be budget limited. Would he want to go with more of an off the shoulder runner or a hold-up man?

Do we reckon It’ll be an established champ striker, a league one youngster or a prem reserve?

46 minutes ago, Taribo said:

What type of striker do we think Cocu would ideally want? 

Obviously a complete striker is unobtainable at this level, and if we are looking at this position we’ll be budget limited. Would he want to go with more of an off the shoulder runner or a hold-up man?

Do we reckon It’ll be an established champ striker, a league one youngster or a prem reserve?

His main centre-forward in his last season with PSV was Luuk de Jong (6'2", strong, good in the air but not much pace). So someone similar to that's my guess in an ideal world.

Could we get anyone like that with potential? Not many players realistically spring to mind on a permanent. James Collins from Luton? Lukas Jutkiewicz from Brum? Take a chance on someone like Christian Gytkjaer from Lech Poznan as he's been banging them in in Poland (out of contract at the end of the season too!)? None of those are young anymore though. I think someone younger on loan, such as Sam Lammers from PSV or Dominic Solanke from Bournemouth, would be more realistic and fit more into what we're trying to build.

Archived