Forwards

Dinnitdough

Bit different words but the same issue I mentioned yesterday.

Eventhough I think Martin is better player than Waggy upfront, I'd play Waghorn every time if Sibley plays,.

Martin and Sibley loves to play in the same pockets and putting them up together would hardly be effective tactic. It's all about the team and the roles in it, not always which player is the best ability wise.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Waggy’s such a solid option, you can’t fault him and he definitely is good enough. OP is way too harsh.

Would also argue that Martin’s better, much better at times. But leaving Waghorn out is so difficult, he’s one of our most consistent players and easily in the best 11 players at the club. I would rather see Martin starting when he can but I’ll never complain at Waghorn starting, it’s not that much of a drop in quality.

I think with the fixture congestion you’ll see them share the striker role between them.

7 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Bit different words but the same issue I mentioned yesterday.

Eventhough I think Martin is better player than Waggy upfront, I'd play Waghorn every time if Sibley plays,.

Martin and Sibley loves to play in the same pockets and putting them up together would hardly be effective tactic. It's all about the team and the roles in it, not always which player is the best ability wise.

Martin and Sibley partnership seemed effective against Blackburn. 

12 hours ago, rynny said:

Martin and Sibley partnership seemed effective against Blackburn. 

True, but then wingers couldn't then be Holmes and Lawrence. Other plays like playmaker and other likes to with the ball run towards the defender. If I remember right, Knight and Waghorn played against B'burn? Waggy offers diagonal runs and Knight surges behind the defenders so the most important runs are there from the wide. Again, the roles and small differences makes the whole tactic work or not.

Blackburn is perfect example for comparison example as we played most of the game against ten.

I like Waghorn in general but don’t really like him as a lone striker and it’s a running joke that he needs 10 chances per goal. He gets into the game a lot more out wide. Just suffers from a bit of a position identity crisis given his stature but inability to convert chances or play with his back to goal. Works hard though. Think he will be replaced by Cocu at some point. 

43 minutes ago, Srg said:

I like Waghorn in general but don’t really like him as a lone striker and it’s a running joke that he needs 10 chances per goal. He gets into the game a lot more out wide. Just suffers from a bit of a position identity crisis given his stature but inability to convert chances or play with his back to goal. Works hard though. Think he will be replaced by Cocu at some point. 

Brave move, coming out of retirement at 49 and playing in a position you've never even played before!

23 hours ago, Andicis said:

You just gonna ignore Waggy's amazing assist for Sibley today or what? 

Didn't he clip the cross bar with the keeper well beat with one of his 'crap' freekicks too? He'll probably end up with around 15 goals this season anyway so I guess some folk are just impossible to please ?

23 hours ago, Dinnitdough said:

When are we gonna realize that Waghorn isn’t good enough? I like Waggie as a person, but considering the fact that he takes freekicks and penalties and was our only forward for a while, he just isn’t producing enough. We need someone, besides the youngsters, who can produce something up top.

You might start the next game Crissy.

20 hours ago, rynny said:

Their player was sent off in the last minute? 

I stand corrected. My memory is getting bad....

Anyway, the first and way more important point, that Cocu's style needs runners up front stands firm. 2 out of the 4 four attacking players has to run behind the line so they come from the trio of Marriott, Waghorn and Knight. If Martin and Sibley plays together, we out all the running pressure to the wings and depending of opposition, it might not be optimal. As ain't players looking for same pockets in the middle. Puzzle with fine details!

Waghorn might not have Martin's touch and vision and he is far from clinical poacher, but from the managerial point of view he is reliable option wherever he plays. He offers a LOT of running without the ball. So much that it hinders his ability to be sharpest when he gets a chance.

Also, games comes thick and fast so we most likely will see the Sibley-Martin combo again before latter runs out of contract.

Don't worry, he's going to be replaced by Steven Fletcher in the summer so you all have something to really moan about ?

For what its worth, I think he's done largely well this season. Saturday, he really played for the team and was significant in our win without putting the ball in the goal himself. 

On 20/06/2020 at 15:21, Dinnitdough said:

When are we gonna realize that Waghorn isn’t good enough? I like Waggie as a person, but considering the fact that he takes freekicks and penalties and was our only forward for a while, he just isn’t producing enough. We need someone, besides the youngsters, who can produce something up top.

Reasonable question to ask.

Waggy has grown on me a lot due to his ethic and work rate.

I’m not sure any of Waggy,Martin or Marriott are Cocu’s ideal striker and it will be interesting to see who he went for if he had more than £2.50 to spend.

Personally I would be happy going into next season with Waggy,Martin a fully fit JM and trialist.

We’d need to bring in somone like Tammy Abraham to really improve the strike force and that isn’t happening I suspect.

Archived