Live football thread.

Rev

37 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Atlético vs Man City. You will not find a dirtier game this season.

Man City got battered, physically, then. Liverpool will be big favorites for the FA Cup semi final at the weekend.

I loved it. 

I'd have paid an extra £10 PPV to see the tunnel and dressing rooms after the game!

It could only have been bettered had Scott Carson removed his gloves, and windmilled into the Athletico players at the end.

Edited by Rev
Added violence.

4 hours ago, sage said:

Simeone and his bunch of thugs need banning from European Competition for a year. 

Complete anti-football 

They don’t play like that at all in La Liga. They often have 60+% possession when playing league games.

But when it comes to Europe they are a different animal. I guess they feel that is their best chance of trophies and considering they have reached two finals, and knocked out the likes of Liverpool and Barca in recent years, it’s hard to argue against it.

I read they have a similar budget, wages wise, to West Ham and 12 teams have spent more than them over the past decade (six are from England).

But enough praising them. They’re awful to watch, thuggish and deserved to fall short. Wretched side.

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

They don’t play like that at all in La Liga. They often have 60+% possession when playing league games.

But when it comes to Europe they are a different animal. I guess they feel that is their best chance of trophies and considering they have reached two finals, and knocked out the likes of Liverpool and Barca in recent years, it’s hard to argue against it.

I read they have a similar budget, wages wise, to West Ham and 12 teams have spent more than them over the past decade (six are from England).

But enough praising them. They’re awful to watch, thuggish and deserved to fall short. Wretched side.

I didn't suggest they should be banned from La Liga. 

Ive no problem with the pressing amd intensity but they are persistently guilty of 4 things that all teams do to some extent, but they do all 4 as soon as they are up against a better team. 

Awful snidy fouls. 

Diving/overreaction. 

Haranguing the ref. 

Goading opponents. 

36 minutes ago, sage said:

Ive no problem with the pressing amd intensity but they are persistently guilty of 4 things that all teams do to some extent, but they do all 4 as soon as they are up against a better team. 

Awful snidy fouls. 

Diving/overreaction. 

Haranguing the ref. 

Goading opponents. 

Does simeone take those tactics to a more extreme level when he's playing "English" teams. 

Think I read somewhere he particularly dislikes the English as his brother was killed in the Falklands conflict. 

59 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Does simeone take those tactics to a more extreme level when he's playing "English" teams. 

Think I read somewhere he particularly dislikes the English as his brother was killed in the Falklands conflict. 

Nah I think he's just a cockwash

11 hours ago, Rev said:

I loved it. 

I'd have paid an extra £10 PPV to see the tunnel and dressing rooms after the game!

It could only have been bettered had Scott Carson removed his gloves, and windmilled into the Athletico players at the end.

Did you see this? The old classic, "See you outside pal."

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

12 hours ago, Rev said:

I loved it. 

Maybe you would have got your wish if he hadn't been held back ?

6 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

40 years ago this month (I know cos I was born on the day it started). 

I always find an Atletico meltdown amusing really.  The team is an embodiment of their manager, full of passion, endeavor and fight but not exactly sporting or good to watch. 

As a club they deserve huge credit for breaking the stranglehold of Barca and Real Madrid a couple of times in recent seasons.  No small achievement. 

Last night, on the pitch at least (I have no idea what went on in the tunnel) I thought they weren't especially thuggish, apart from Felipe jumping into the back of Foden early on, which could have been a straight red.  In the end they were beaten at their own game  really. An 'injured' Foden deliberately rolling 2 metres back onto the pitch just to waste time would have infuriated many an opposition player.  It's exactly what the Atletico players would have done in the same situation and it worked beautifully for City....who were, up until that point, in serious danger of conceding a late equalizer. 

7 hours ago, sage said:

Awful snidy fouls. 

Diving/overreaction. 

Haranguing the ref. 

Goading opponents. 

I wasn’t suggesting you did say they should be banned from La Liga. I was just highlighting that quite ironically and perhaps to some who are unaware that they play completely differently most of the time in domestic games.

It’s just when they play in Europe they adopt a completely different attitude. 

19 hours ago, JfR said:

Scunthorpe's 3-0 loss to Leyton Orient means they drop into non-league for the first time in 72 years
Was only 4 years ago they were in the League One playoffs

The pyramid is completely unstable outside of the epl. 

A decent team gets put together over a few seasons can be shredded of its best players in a flash for buttons and washers. 

Madness. 

20 hours ago, JfR said:

Scunthorpe's 3-0 loss to Leyton Orient means they drop into non-league for the first time in 72 years
Was only 4 years ago they were in the League One playoffs

At least we don’t have to worry about Scunthorpe mucking up the new swear filter. 

I remember watching Martin Keown play football so I’m struggling to understand why he doesn’t have a clue what the difference is between a player being fouled and a player throwing themselves to the ground trying to win a free kick…..the amount of blatant cheating on show is embarrassing….

I was amazed to see Liverpool start the game as underdogs. The betting companies dropped a ball there. Liverpool came in with a huge advantage of not having to travel from midweek while having a far easier game and resting their key players.

City on the other hand had a bruising game in Madrid and were always likely to make big changes.

When you take out the likes of Dias, Laporte, Ederson, Rodri and KDB you are taking out the most important part of the team which is the spine. The wide players can’t get involved. 

That said, City will probably look at this as the least important of the three trophies left and they probably feel it’s in their best interest to save the big guns for upcoming PL games and Real Madrid.

Liverpool on the other hand look so strong. They might not win the PL but they are favorites in all the cups and I include the CL in that.