Live football thread.

Rev

It’s not often you see a 3-0 score-line and the losing side have actually dominated the game.

United have been poor. A one in a 100 wonder goal, a penalty and a goal on the counter. That’s pretty much all they’ve had.

United have a brilliant record against bottom sides and a dog awful record against the better sides. Flat track bullies.

16 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

It’s not often you see a 3-0 score-line and the losing side have actually dominated the game.

United have been poor. A one in a 100 wonder goal, a penalty and a goal on the counter. That’s pretty much all they’ve had.

United have a brilliant record against bottom sides and a dog awful record against the better sides. Flat track bullies.

They’ve had some poor results this season, and the big talking point is how poor they’ve been generally, but on top of that, the wins they’ve had have generally been poor performances or by the skin of their teeth too. Starting with Wolves in the first game, which they should’ve lost, but some how won. Beating Copenhagen at home, they should’ve lost that one, but for a penalty save. Loads of games where they should’ve been out of sight but winning with a last minute goal. They’ve scraped together a reasonable amount of points, but they’ve been awful. I don’t think they’ve had one good performance all season. 

7 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

They’ve had some poor results this season, and the big talking point is how poor they’ve been generally, but on top of that, the wins they’ve had have generally been poor performances or by the skin of their teeth too. Starting with Wolves in the first game, which they should’ve lost, but some how won. Beating Copenhagen at home, they should’ve lost that one, but for a penalty save. Loads of games where they should’ve been out of sight but winning with a last minute goal. They’ve scraped together a reasonable amount of points, but they’ve been awful. I don’t think they’ve had one good performance all season. 

In the games I've seen them play, I don't understand what they are trying to do. It's like they haven't been coached at all, which is surprising given McClaren is there. They don't dominate the ball, and they don't counter press. They almost are content to play a counterattacking game, but what big team these days plays like that? They just get picked off by anyone with any quality.

Interesting also that they have played nine bottom half sides and only four in the top half so far. They lost all four of those with an aggregate score of 11-2. Throw in the 3-0 defeat to Newcastle in the cup too. 

Five of their next six games are against top half sides - Chelsea, West Ham, Newcastle, Liverpool and Villa. They might get 4 points from the first two but they will lose to the others.

On 26/11/2023 at 16:52, Gaspode said:

Man Ure take the lead against Everton via a better than Rooney-esque overhead from Garnacho - astonishing….

Came off his shin, could have gone anywhere tbh. Rooneys came off his instep so i'd say his was slightly better.

Not a bad goal though. 

I reckon Collo has one of those in him to clinch promotion.

Overhead kicks and long-range goals are spectacular to watch. But they are largely flukes. Concentrate on getting good connection on the ball and hit it towards goal with power. Garnacho’s flew in the opposite top corner but you can’t say he was actually aiming there. It just happened to end up there.

Saying it’s one of the best PL goals is a complete injustice to brilliant team moves and players who dribble past 6 defenders to score.

Derby’s goals against Yeovil and Hull for instance were better than Garnacho’s goal.

36 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Seeing as it's peed off the self appointed greatest and most deserving fans in the world-  16'000 when I went there when they were struggling in the early 90's and less the following week without a big away following- I'll give VAR a pass.

47 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Seeing as it's peed off the self appointed greatest and most deserving fans in the world-  16'000 when I went there when they were struggling in the early 90's and less the following week without a big away following- I'll give VAR a pass.

I have to admit SCREAMER the Bar Codes and VAR have things in common, They think without them football will be worse off, I'll be a happy camper if both get binned👍

7 hours ago, The Last Post said:

Why is it his fault though. The ref on the pitch has the final say. He could’ve over ruled the VAR. he didn’t, so he should be canned. 

19 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Why is it his fault though. The ref on the pitch has the final say. He could’ve over ruled the VAR. he didn’t, so he should be canned. 

The problem with the system is that once VAR has referred the ref to the monitor, they are saying, in effect, 'we think you have made a mistake - you should reassess it.' So the onfield ref feels under pressure to change the decision. There are several (I don't know the exact number) of people looking at the incident in the little booth - against 1 ref on the pitch. It's the tyranny of the majority.

59 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Maybe they should release the recorded talks between them.

Football is probably the most subjective sport, The VAR operative has been removed for tonight's game as it looks like UEFA agree with most of the pundits, Players, Journalists and commentators.

Last season Michael Oliver went against protocol/VAR and stuck with his initial decision when he was invited to look on the screen...this is a rarity, The VAR operative last night saw a hand ball...and acted upon it, The pressure for the ref must have been huge, PSG at home, A baying crowd, 10s of millions of €s at stake, Blame the sh!tty system, UEFA have their scapegoat. 

You and I could eat the same soup from the same bowl and come to a different conclusion about the taste and quality, Football is the same, Referees/VAR assistants are becoming technocrats and are scared sh!tless to make a game changing call...football has got itself into such a mess that there is no escape.

3 hours ago, TimRam said:

Brighton and Villa games were decent last night. Nice to see different teams in Europe now rather than just the usual.

Villa should win the uefa conference league easily. They have such a big advantage over the rest in terms of resources.

Most in that competition are Championship and League One standard.

The only real competition comes from the 7th or 8th best teams in France (Lille), Germany (Frankfurt), Spain and Italy (Fiorentina). And then England’s 7th best team blows them out of the water in terms of financial resources.

I just realized Spain don’t even have a team in it. Osasuna got knocked out in the playoff rounds.

England should have a winner in this competition every year. At this rate somebody like Chelsea or Newcastle will be in it next season.

Hilarious own goal in Bundesliga 2 between the top 2 teams. Hamburg keeper plays one of those short goalkicks to a defender just outside the 6 yard box, said defender gets closed down so plays it back to the keeper. The goalie takes a huge swing in an attempt to clear it but sadly for him, just as he's about to make contact with the ball it hits a divot, bobbles and he hammers it into the roof of the net. 

Just as an aside, Jackson Irvine (ex Burton etc) plays for the leaders St.Pauli and scored the opening goal.