Summer 2020 Transfer Suggestion Thread

oomarkwright

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

Falls down to what you define as doing very well. Preston haven't made the Championship Playoffs since 2009. Many clubs on just as small budgets have achieved this, if not more.

They spent 4 seasons in L1 before earning promotion in 14/15. They narrowly missed out on top 6 in 17/18, mixed with 2 top half finishes, and a very good chance of top 6 this season.

To put their achievements in to perspective, Burton's revenue was £1m higher than Preston's in 17/18!

2 hours ago, Nick_Ram said:

Falls down to what you define as doing very well. Preston haven't made the Championship Playoffs since 2009. Many clubs on just as small budgets have achieved this, if not more.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

They spent 4 seasons in L1 before earning promotion in 14/15. They narrowly missed out on top 6 in 17/18, mixed with 2 top half finishes, and a very good chance of top 6 this season.

To put their achievements in to perspective, Burton's revenue was £1m higher than Preston's in 17/18!

Since Preston last finished in the playoffs the following sides have been promoted: Newcastle, West Brom, Blackpool, QPR, Norwich, Swansea, Reading, Southampton, West Ham, Cardiff, Hull, Palace, Leicester, Burnley, Bournemouth, Watford, Norwich, Boro, Brighton, Huddersfield, Wolves, Fulham, Sheff Utd, Villa

Preston's revenue is only £11.9m, and typically have a budget of +/- £2m from that figure (£10-14m).
Palace got promoted on the smallest budget of £10.9m (revenue of £14.5m but only spent £10.9m). The next closest was Blackpool with a budget of £16.1m (revenue of £9.4m, but spent £16.1m), which is more than Preston's budget. The third lowest budget was Swansea with £20m. So in 10 years, only 1 team has achieved more than Preston on a similar budget.

Only 3 teams have been promoted with similar revenue to Preston, but all spent significantly more. The four teams being Blackpool (£16.1m), Swansea (£20m), Hull (£36.7m), and Bournemouth (£51.2m)

11 hours ago, David said:

Yes. But is that down to poor recruitment or poor management in big games? 

I didn’t become a football fan to look at the profit and losses on a player, I was and still am entertained by the game itself not balance sheets.

You can argue the money could have been spend better, which it probably could have, but we have enjoyed 5 years of being in the mix at the top end of the table. 

Personally I have enjoyed it, this period is only second to Jim Smiths time at the club in my lifetime yet we have fans banging on like we’ve been suffering.

We’ve come close to going up, agonisingly close, more so than the highly praised Brentford. 

I would love to hear other examples of excellent recruitment teams other than Brentford. 22 other clubs in this league, can’t be that hard to make others that have not wasted money, made a profit and consistently challenged at the top end of the table?

Fair points, however the irony is that we now compare ourselves to Brentford. Not really setting the bar very high .....

2 minutes ago, europia said:

Fair points, however the irony is that we now compare ourselves to Brentford. Not really setting the bar very high .....

We’ve been in the championship 11 years this year. Living in the past is forest’s shtick. 

It's occurred to me that not only has the impending threat of a points deduction completely undermined our last window but it may hinder the summer one too. I really feel for Cocu as whatever he manages to achieve it seems there's always someone or something there to pull the rug from under his feet. I grow increasingly resentful towards Gibson and the EFL by the day ?

Archived