Summer 2020 Transfer Suggestion Thread

oomarkwright

4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Brentfords recruitment strategy has to be admired 

Now who is being selective?

1 team out of 92?

And how many times have they finished above us in recent seasons?

I'd suggest their recruitment team has had a pretty different remit to ours over the past few years.

I doubt ours were asked to find young players on the cheap that could be sold on at a profit.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

1 team out of 92?

I'd suggest their recruitment team has had a pretty different remit to ours over the past few years.

I doubt ours were asked to find young players on the cheap that could be sold on at a profit.

Do you disagree then with my post regards Brentford?

Like I said before open this debate upto the forum and let's see what the consensus is.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

1 team out of 92?

I doubt ours were asked to find young players on the cheap that could be sold on at a 

Imagine if they were tasked with that, Mel probably wouldn't have needed to sell the stadium to himself.

Brentford really are the exception though, they are ran fantastically, as I've mentioned before, they have a policy of not loaning players in as they see it as a waste of resource with no sell on at the end, how amazing is that? The money we have spent loaning Ibe, Mascarell, King, Leon Best, Lingard, Wilson (both), Tomori and Mount we probably could have afforded to buy Mbappe when Tom Inces mother very kindly alerted the football world of his presence.

Brentford have zero debt, a squad full of players that prem teams want to sign, are fighting for promotion, all while building a brand new stadium. Mel wants to recruit Bielsas spy and send him down to Brentford.

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

Do you disagree then with my post regards Brentford?

Like I said before open this debate upto the forum and let's see what the consensus is.

Their recruitment has been good.

They have sold players on for profits and that has enabled them to develop as a club.

We were not really at the stage where we needed to do that, the recruitment team were probably tasked with getting players that would get us straight out of the division.

Ultimately they failed but play offs 4 out of 5 seasons is not exactly a massive failure.

Anyone else is free to join in the debate but maybe first you can give them more examples of good recruitment teams so they know who they are comparing us to?

My view is that we need to see how the summer goes. This is a huge transfer window for us in that it’s either a huge clear out or player’s record-signing on smaller contracts. I think I’d keep Martin for the right money but other than that, I think we need an influx of hungry, hard working players - more Shinnies and Holmes’, fewer Dowell’s and Anya’s please. 

38 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

They have sold players on for profits and that has enabled them to develop as a club.

We were not really at the stage where we needed to do that, the recruitment team were probably tasked with getting players that would get us straight out of the division.

Ultimately they failed but play offs 4 out of 5 seasons is not exactly a massive failure.

Anyone else is free to join in the debate but maybe first you can give them more examples of good recruitment teams so they know who they are comparing us to?

Somewhere along the line recruitment has (on the whole) failed during Mel's time at the club. That could be the scout identifying players, it could be the manager not choosing the best player available off that list, Mel's instructions, or anything in between.

Players bought and sold since May 2014
Vydra - Bought for £8.5m, sold for £11m
Johnson - Bought for £7m, sold for £0
Ince - Bought for £6m, sold for £8m
Butterfield - Bought for £5m, sold for £0
Anya - Bought for £4m, sold for £0
Shackell - Bought for £4m, sold for £0
Weimann - Bought for £3.5m, sold for £2m
Blackman - Bought for £3m, sold for £0
Thorne - Bought for £3m, sold for £0
Nugent - Bought for £2.5m, sold for £0
Camara - Bought for £1.5m, sold for £0
Jerome - Bought for £1.5m, sold for £1m
Shotton - Bought for £1m, sold for £300k
Olsson - Bought for £600k, sold for £0
Albentosa - Bought for £500k, sold for £700k
McAllister - Bought for £250k, sold for £0
Christie - Bought for £100k, sold for £2.5m
Warnock - Bought for nominal fee, sold for £0
Bent, Baird, Pearce, Ledley, Cole, Calero, Santos, McDonald, Whitbread - Bought for £0, sold for £0

That's a lot of players leaving on frees (after paying £30m+ to sign them), with only Vydra, Ince, Albentosa, and Christie being sold on at a profit of £7.6m.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Somewhere along the line recruitment has (on the whole) failed during Mel's time at the club. That could be the scout identifying players, it could be the manager not choosing the best player available off that list, Mel's instructions, or anything in between.

Bent, Baird, Pearce, Ledley, Cole, Calero, Santos, McDonald, Whitbread - Bought for £0, sold for £0

That's a lot of players leaving on frees (after paying £30m+ to sign them), with only Vydra, Ince, Albentosa, and Christie being sold on at a profit of £7.6m.

Not sure all of the figures look correct but think your point is valid.

So, do people want our recruitment judged on performances and league position or money spent/made on signings?

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not sure all of the figures look correct but think your point is valid.

So, do people want our recruitment judged on performances and league position or money spent/made on signings?

Surely you'd expect to recruit players who will improve performances on the pitch, and the values of players to increase.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Surely you'd expect to recruit players who will improve performances on the pitch, and the values of players to increase.

Well if you're buying players in their prime, no, I would only expect values to go down.

Players such as Huddlestone and Davies being prime examples.

Both players that at the time brought Premier League experience and were perfect for Rowettball but would not expect money back on either.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

There's no doubting the success of Brentfords' recruitment strategy but it shouldn't automatically be assumed that it's 'little old Brentford'  and if they can do it why can't we - their owner has ploughed nearly £100m into the club since he took over so they're definitely not the Burton Albion of the Championship.

3 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

There's no doubting the success of Brentfords' recruitment strategy but it shouldn't automatically be assumed that it's 'little old Brentford'  and if they can do it why can't we - their owner has ploughed nearly £100m into the club since he took over so they're definitely not the Burton Albion of the Championship.

Yes I thought they had a rich owner.

But to be fair to them I think that money has been used to develop the training ground and basically subsidise their low crowds.

Certainly dont think much of it has been used on transfer fees and wages.

54 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

When did we sell Anya?

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Sheffield Uniteds recruitment has been pretty spot on , picking up freebies and young lads looking for a break to launch a career , polishing them up and look where its got them

Re Brentford: we will never have a Brentford style recruitment with the amount of money Mel has pumped into the academy. Brentford don't have an academy anymore, their B team plays friendlies against other youth teams. Brentford buy all of their players to sell for a profit. This might work in the championship but I don't think it will work in the premier league. They would be the only prem team without an academy, getting the quality of player they would need without any youth structure would be very difficult. They would never be able to produce a world class player as they are always spotted at a very young age.

Mel's idea of sustainable is to develop our own youth players, supported by purchases to fill in the gaps. This has so much more scope than the Brentford system, we're just starting to see the first signs of the investment on the academy coming into the first team 

54 minutes ago, David said:

The highly praised Brentford recruitment team have also failed then.

Depends what you call success?

For a team that were league 2, probably on the verge of collapse to become an established Championship side, with zero debt, building a brand new stadium and having probably half of their starting 11 eyed up by premiership clubs each season, I'd probably mark that as a success.

Although the point made about their lack of academy is a good point well made.

Archived