Summer 2020 Transfer Suggestion Thread

oomarkwright

On 19/02/2020 at 08:20, David said:

Yes. But is that down to poor recruitment or poor management in big games? 

I didn’t become a football fan to look at the profit and losses on a player, I was and still am entertained by the game itself not balance sheets.

You can argue the money could have been spend better, which it probably could have, but we have enjoyed 5 years of being in the mix at the top end of the table. 

Personally I have enjoyed it, this period is only second to Jim Smiths time at the club in my lifetime yet we have fans banging on like we’ve been suffering.

We’ve come close to going up, agonisingly close, more so than the highly praised Brentford. 

I would love to hear other examples of excellent recruitment teams other than Brentford. 22 other clubs in this league, can’t be that hard to make others that have not wasted money, made a profit and consistently challenged at the top end of the table?

will just have to agree to disagree mate

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, europia said:

It's not about living in the past. We really should be doing better. 

Based on what? 13/14 was the season we became promotion candidates. Since then, our finishing position has been higher than our 'budget' would suggest, every single season. If final positions matched the budget, we wouldn't have had a single playoff campaign.

13/14 - position 3rd, 12th highest budget
14/15 - position 8th, 9th highest budget
15/16 - position 5th, 11th highest budget
16/17 - position 9th, 10th highest budget
17/18 - position 6th, 9th highest budget
18/19 - accounts not released

Total 'budget' since the start of 2013/14 puts us 5th behind, Fulham, QPR, Reading and Leeds, with little separating us and the next 6 highest Championship spenders (Norwich, Forest, Villa, Sheff Weds, Cardiff, Boro)

Something else I noticed...

Only 6 teams have participated in every Championship season since the start of 13/14 - Reading, Leeds, Derby, Forest, Sheff Weds and Birmingham.

Reading, Leeds, Forest and Birmingham have all been penalised under FFP/P&S, with Derby and Sheff Weds being charged for failing P&S.
Reading, Derby, Sheff Weds, and Birmingham have all sold their stadiums, with the sales for all except Birmingham being investigated.

34 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Based on what? 13/14 was the season we became promotion candidates. Since then, our finishing position has been higher than our 'budget' would suggest, every single season. If final positions matched the budget, we wouldn't have had a single playoff campaign.

13/14 - position 3rd, 12th highest budget
14/15 - position 8th, 9th highest budget
15/16 - position 5th, 11th highest budget
16/17 - position 9th, 10th highest budget
17/18 - position 6th, 9th highest budget
18/19 - accounts not released

Total 'budget' since the start of 2013/14 puts us 5th behind, Fulham, QPR, Reading and Leeds, with little separating us and the next 6 highest Championship spenders (Norwich, Forest, Villa, Sheff Weds, Cardiff, Boro)

Something else I noticed...

Only 6 teams have participated in every Championship season since the start of 13/14 - Reading, Leeds, Derby, Forest, Sheff Weds and Birmingham.

Reading, Leeds, Forest and Birmingham have all been penalised under FFP/P&S, with Derby and Sheff Weds being charged for failing P&S.
Reading, Derby, Sheff Weds, and Birmingham have all sold their stadiums, with the sales for all except Birmingham being investigated.

This all helps to demonstrate how tough it is to get out of the Championship in an upwards direction unless you spend big and gamble on success. 

If you spend big and get promoted, great; if you don't you're buggered. 

Maybe we should have spent a bit more? ?

Quite a few posts recently have been using the recent positive results to say that the squad only needs a GK, CB and RW.

However, I think tonight's game, the loss at QPR, shows we're lacking quality in a lot of places in the team, most obviously central defence and converting chances.

The performance at QPR wasn't particularly bad but we're just lacking quality.

Just now, IslandExile said:

Quite a few posts recently have been using the recent positive results to say that the squad only needs a GK, CB and RW.

However, I think tonight's game, the loss at QPR, shows we're lacking quality in a lot of places in the team, most obviously central defence and converting chances.

The performance at QPR wasn't particularly bad but we're just lacking quality.

I think that the priority areas should be exactly as described. Think it's totally unrealistic to also bring in a better striker as well or any other positions on top of that.

Agree that we’re a way off having the quality to get promoted. Trouble is, I fear we’re so far off that there’s just no chance we’ll have the funds to improve the squad enough to compete at the top end. The financial situation we’re currently in - with FFP issues and no funds from investment - is sadly very restricting. It leaves us really struggling for ambition at the moment unfortunately. Think we have to focus on improving the squad to be at least top half level next season by focusing on our worst weaknesses in the summer, and then hope the investment goes through and we can target higher in the future if we can achieve that next season. The most important positions to target at the minute, for me, are ST and GK. We’re not clinical enough, and our goalkeepers are simply crap - both on and off the ball. 

I think we need a whole new back 4 plus goalkeeper and a centre forward whose going to play all season in that position and a good wide player .                                                          There will be a call to clear the decks /deadwood out etc. But it never really happens as you can only sell if there's a buyer.                   At best I can only see 3 or 4 players coming in , for me that would be a goalkeeper 2 more defenders and a centre forward  . If you wanted 8 players in but knew it was only going to be 4 which positions would you target in the transfer window? 

Well daniel johnson been release current club but been ban from playing for 4 months maybe we can offer let him train but sticky probleam would be his wages but he is lot of debt but maybe little wiggle room in negations in wages.

On 26/02/2020 at 19:14, Hector 10 said:

I think we need a whole new back 4 plus goalkeeper and a centre forward whose going to play all season in that position and a good wide player .                                                          There will be a call to clear the decks /deadwood out etc. But it never really happens as you can only sell if there's a buyer.                   At best I can only see 3 or 4 players coming in , for me that would be a goalkeeper 2 more defenders and a centre forward  . If you wanted 8 players in but knew it was only going to be 4 which positions would you target in the transfer window? 

We are ok for full backs surely?

On 26/02/2020 at 00:07, Millenniumram said:

Agree that we’re a way off having the quality to get promoted. 

Disagree. The last few games have shown we aren't that far away at all. We need another centre half and a good keeper plus a winger or two and we'll be flying (provided we give Chrissy a new deal!)... #COYR

51 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Well daniel johnson been release current club but been ban from playing for 4 months maybe we can offer let him train but sticky probleam would be his wages but he is lot of debt but maybe little wiggle room in negations in wages.

You mean daniel Johnson of preston? I cant find anything saying he's been released?

On 26/02/2020 at 19:14, Hector 10 said:

I think we need a whole new back 4 plus goalkeeper

So we have Jayden and Andre covering RB and Max and Fozzy covering LB and add to that, Mike te Wierk already signed at CB.

How do you then figure we need an entire new back 4? ?‍♀️

59 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Daniel Sturridge?

Scores goals for fun but I cannot see him dropping into the championship.

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

Daniel Sturridge?

Scores goals for fun but I cannot see him dropping into the championship.

Well been said he could come to a champership club why not get in there first offer some were to train have a look at him. If something Cocu is looking for offer him a contract.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Disagree. The last few games have shown we aren't that far away at all. We need another centre half and a good keeper plus a winger or two and we'll be flying (provided we give Chrissy a new deal!)... #COYR

I get what you’re saying, but that’s still over 1/3 of a new side to find, as well as the already agreed addition of Te Wierik. For me, that’s quite a way off - there’s still a fair amount to change in the side there. That’s not to say that it’s not doable of course, just it is a fair amount of work that may imo take more than one season. We will see though, some investment into the club would likely make a big difference to how quickly we can progress things, if it grants us a bigger budget. 

Agree with your post in principle mainly though, our recent form has given much more reason for optimism than before Christmas. And I’d probably have a similar list in terms of what needs doing to make us into a promotion winning side from a mid table one too - though I’d probably make one of the winger signings into a centre mid, and I’d add a right back to the list too. And probably a contract extension to Forsyth as well as Martin.

Archived