Summer 2020 Transfer Suggestion Thread

oomarkwright

2 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Sheffield Uniteds recruitment has been pretty spot on , picking up freebies and young lads looking for a break to launch a career , polishing them up and look where its got them

Agreed but I put there success down to the manager rather than great recruitment.

They've got some bang average players that the manager has got playing together as a unit.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Agreed but I put there success down to the manager rather than great recruitment.

They've got some bang average players that the manager has got playing together as a unit.

Yes he mr wilder absolutely demands100% effort every game from every player and woe betide them if their standards drop.do we get that ?

7 hours ago, Dethorn said:

Look at what he was quoting maybe??

I did.

2 teams, Derby and Brentford, 1 has spent millions trying to get to the prem and have so far failed (Derby), the other set out to simply make profit on their players and if they ever did make the Prem, bonus (Brentford).

So far our recruitment has failed, their recruitment continues to succeed on its desired goal year on year.

11 hours ago, Seaside Sam said:

still same division though eh?

Yes. But is that down to poor recruitment or poor management in big games? 

I didn’t become a football fan to look at the profit and losses on a player, I was and still am entertained by the game itself not balance sheets.

You can argue the money could have been spend better, which it probably could have, but we have enjoyed 5 years of being in the mix at the top end of the table. 

Personally I have enjoyed it, this period is only second to Jim Smiths time at the club in my lifetime yet we have fans banging on like we’ve been suffering.

We’ve come close to going up, agonisingly close, more so than the highly praised Brentford. 

I would love to hear other examples of excellent recruitment teams other than Brentford. 22 other clubs in this league, can’t be that hard to make others that have not wasted money, made a profit and consistently challenged at the top end of the table?

21 minutes ago, David said:

I would love to hear other examples of excellent recruitment teams other than Brentford. 22 other clubs in this league, can’t be that hard to make others that have not wasted money, made a profit and consistently challenged at the top end of the table?

Already asked the question yesterday.

Have no problem with people saying our recruitment team is poor but it would nice to know exactly what insight they have into how our recruitment team works, and who exactly they are being compared to when called poor.

Brentford and Sheffield United are the only 2 answers so far.

1 hour ago, David said:

Yes. But is that down to poor recruitment or poor management in big games? 

I didn’t become a football fan to look at the profit and losses on a player, I was and still am entertained by the game itself not balance sheets.

You can argue the money could have been spend better, which it probably could have, but we have enjoyed 5 years of being in the mix at the top end of the table. 

Personally I have enjoyed it, this period is only second to Jim Smiths time at the club in my lifetime yet we have fans banging on like we’ve been suffering.

We’ve come close to going up, agonisingly close, more so than the highly praised Brentford. 

Only a small number of clubs make a profit in this league, with only Hull and QPR doing so more than once since the 14/15 season. Derby are the only club to have finished in the top 6 whilst posting a profit for that season.

Of the 13 occasions a club has reported profits:
   - 7 have been to clubs receiving parachute payments
   - 1 club was promoted from L1 the season before (Barnsley)
   - 2 sold their stadium (Derby, Sheff Weds), and another 2 have sold theirs since posting a profit (Reading, Birmingham)

2014/15
Reading - £2.6m (19th), parachute payments
Cardiff - £3.8m (11th), parachute payments
Birmingham - £1.3m (10th)

2015/16
QPR - £0.1m (12th), parachute payments

2016/17
Barnsley - £12.8m (14th), promoted from L1
Wigan - £4.3m (23rd), parachute payments
Leeds - £1m (7th)
QPR - £0.02m (18th), parachute payments

2017/18
Hull - £23.7m (18th), parachute payments
Derby - £14.6m (6th)
Preston - £2.3m (7th)
Sheff Weds - £2.6m (15th)

2018/19 (confirmed)
Hull - £2.5m (13th), parachute payments

2018/19 (estimated)
Middlesbrough - £15.7m (7th), parachute payments
Wigan - £5.2m (18th), promoted from L1
Preston - £5.4m (14th)
Brentford - £25.3m (11th)
Bristol - £12.7m (8th)

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Already asked the question yesterday.

Have no problem with people saying our recruitment team is poor but it would nice to know exactly what insight they have into how our recruitment team works, and who exactly they are being compared to when called poor.

Brentford and Sheffield United are the only 2 answers so far.

Preston do very well, Bristol in recent seasons have done well.

Archived