Summer 2020 Transfer Suggestion Thread

oomarkwright

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Well shinnie could be gone to Rangers in the summer if this happens we need opaptions.

We don't need to be getting rid of players like Shinnie, he's a decent performer who shows commitment and effort. 

9 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

If Martin is going (please no), I'd go all out and get Daniel Sturridge and Jordan Ibe.

Not a chance this would happen, but IF and it's a big IF we could get a season with both players fit in the same team as Wayne Rooney, it would be 1 hell of a season

To replace Anya and Thorne then 

Not sure where the suggestions about signing Daniel Sturridge come from? Let's hope it goes no further than the rumour mill. His fitness record is appalling. We certainly don't need another overpaid crock on the books. 

9 hours ago, LeedsRam1999 said:

Jordan Ibe for me. Free transfer, been here before and needs to prove himself again. Why not come back to make a name for himself again. 

we need a tricky pacy winger and he is a level above the champ on his day.

He can’t get a game at Bournemouth but he has had plenty of problems down there - I don’t think we will be able to afford ex premiership players anymore  

12 hours ago, europia said:

Not sure where the suggestions about signing Daniel Sturridge come from? Let's hope it goes no further than the rumour mill. His fitness record is appalling. We certainly don't need another overpaid crock on the books. 

journeyman now...and got offloaded by 3 top 4 clubs...has an attitude and life problem I think....no way

We should not be taking any gambles at this juncture

11 minutes ago, irobinson said:

journeyman now...and got offloaded by 3 top 4 clubs...has an attitude and life problem I think....no way

We should not be taking any gambles at this juncture

I agree. 

Sturridge was mentioned only because he is 

a) Class 

b) Available 

I don't think his signing would make much sense given our approach of having Rooney helping young stars to mould the team of the future. 

I'd rather we went for a younger striker with a bit of pace. 

However I think the priority is staying in business at all, so talk of transfers, whilst diverting, may be a tad optimistic. 

17 hours ago, LeedsRam1999 said:

Jordan Ibe for me. Free transfer, been here before and needs to prove himself again. Why not come back to make a name for himself again. 

we need a tricky pacy winger and he is a level above the champ on his day.

Any (former) big name signing needs to be on a risk vs reward basis in that they buy into us being a team capable of pushing for auto’s and want to be a part but will only be on little weekly wedge with big bonus if we go up.

2 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Any (former) big name signing needs to be on a risk vs reward basis in that they buy into us being a team capable of pushing for auto’s and want to be a part but will only be on little weekly wedge with big bonus if we go up.

Without going into specific players and possible wages, etc. I agree with the idea of risk vs reward. I've said for a while, we should be looking at players who are a low point in their career, whether it be confidence, failed at bigger club, struggling for game time, etc. If the deal is right for the club, and the player has ability and fits our team ethos that Cocu is trying to instill, then it could be a good piece of business. Still a few boxes to tick there, but too often people want to buy the in-form player.

Ibe is a good example of someone who had a couple of good loan spells, played well in a decent (not great) Liverpool team, then got a big move and has essentially flopped. We know he has talent, and is well thought of here. Wages will be the issue, but I would say definitely to this move if it works for our club.

Who knows what financial position any club is going to be in come the next transfer window.

11 hours ago, Sparkle said:

He can’t get a game at Bournemouth but he has had plenty of problems down there - I don’t think we will be able to afford ex premiership players anymore  

Exactly. It's a different picture now financially, any club outside the Premier League has to make savage cuts to move forward.  

Archived