Summer 2020 Transfer Suggestion Thread

oomarkwright

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The dilemma for club going forward is going to be :-

1. Do we cash in now because we need the money/or do we believe what the buying club is offering meets what we think their 'maximum potential' worth is.

Or 

2. Do we hang on to them hoping they may develop further, increase their 'value' and maybe, even leading us to success (promotion).  

A tricky little 'problem' for Mess'rs Morris and Cocu to ponder.

"Bread and Water now with the hope of Jam tomorrow"

I think we will be lucky to just have a football club when this is all over, I dont mean we are in a position where we could lose it, I actually mean we are fortunate that with Mel, we will still have a club to support, whatever that may look like.

I would hate to lose Sibley, Bogle, Bird, Lowe and Knight, but I can see that lot attracting at least 20 million plus add ons which could help for a few years to come.

I have forever bleeted on about following Brentford and how they scout players and deal in the transfer market, but, they have no academy and all of a sudden I realise following the Brentford model wouldnt be so great right now.

It's time for our academy to literally save our club and keep it going!

26 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

1. Do we cash in now because we need the money/or do we believe what the buying club is offering meets what we think their 'maximum potential' worth is.

Or 

2. Do we hang on to them hoping they may develop further, increase their 'value' and maybe, even leading us to success (promotion).  

Assuming we get some decent offers of course, my guess it will be a mixture. Some may well be sold and some retained. I can’t see it being that they’ll all either be sold or all retained.

51 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Or 

No we hang to them they are the future and hopeful big investers coming it we wont need to sell them.

4 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Holding on to our Youngsters is going to be the biggest problem I fear - real money talks 

That’s the problem, premier league clubs can come picking of lower league clubs knowing they will be desperate for money 

10 hours ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Or 

We do need to hold on to the best of our youngsters for as long as possible. In reality though, it's more about keeping afloat and secure in the championship, than any dreams of promotion. That's no longer on the horizon unfortunately. 

On 26/05/2020 at 10:09, Sparkle said:

He can’t get a game at Bournemouth but he has had plenty of problems down there - I don’t think we will be able to afford ex premiership players anymore  

On 26/05/2020 at 18:25, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Any (former) big name signing needs to be on a risk vs reward basis in that they buy into us being a team capable of pushing for auto’s and want to be a part but will only be on little weekly wedge with big bonus if we go up.

The way I see it is that due to Covid-19, not out of contract player will be able to demand big wages. Especially not one who has struggled for the past few months. Therefore, with some good negotiation skills he could be an affordable championship player. If he really wants to be a successful player, he Will take the opportunity to play football in a young, progressive team over another payday. If he is in it for the money, then don’t bother, we’ve had enough of this over the past few years.

13 hours ago, europia said:

We do need to hold on to the best of our youngsters for as long as possible. In reality though, it's more about keeping afloat and secure in the championship, than any dreams of promotion. That's no longer on the horizon unfortunately. 

Why? 3 teams still go up this season, and every season going forward. Every team in the league will be struggling financially as a result of Covid. We have an owner who is limited in the amount of money he can put in, but does have a lot of money and seems willing to keep the club afloat and alive.

Our team has as good a chance as over half the league of making progress and challenging for top 6 next season. I don’t expect big signings or big wages next season, and we may see a couple move away, but the main part of the team is experienced players towards end of career and young academy prospects. It’s not all doom and gloom

6 hours ago, r4derby said:

Why? 3 teams still go up this season, and every season going forward. Every team in the league will be struggling financially as a result of Covid. We have an owner who is limited in the amount of money he can put in, but does have a lot of money and seems willing to keep the club afloat and alive.

Our team has as good a chance as over half the league of making progress and challenging for top 6 next season. I don’t expect big signings or big wages next season, and we may see a couple move away, but the main part of the team is experienced players towards end of career and young academy prospects. It’s not all doom and gloom

Those arguments have been made for for quite some time now, but we've been stuck in this division over a decade, for the simple reason that we haven't been good enough to get promoted.

Not doom and gloom, just realism. 

I think your being nagtive I think we can still gain promation we have excellent youth setup and been proved our youth players can hold there own against best in european youth level. And thats only a good thing.

30 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I think your being nagtive I think we can still gain promation we have excellent youth setup and been proved our youth players can hold there own against best in european youth level. And thats only a good thing.

Agree with this. As money is going to tight next season for nearly all non prem teams. They will be looking in house at u23s and u18s. 

Our youth set up is already producing 1st teamers.

Just read DET Trailist now training with 1st team

Three priorities

keeper

centre forward

no11 wide left midfield

then......make a decision on max lowe

The way I see it is this.

Yes money will be tight at this level, so something will have to give.

I don't really understand getting rid of the youngsters though, most have only just broken through into the first team. Granted they are showing promise, but any team coming in will look and realise we need money, also play the 'he is not proven yet' card and if we think we are going to get silly money for them is deluded.

Get rid of all the high earners would also generate money, maybe enough to keep our heads above the water, this would also mean the wage bill massively reduces for the next few years while following the guidelines of bringing through the youth.

There will be a big balancing act in doing a bit of both of the above as obviously you don't want to lose all of the experience.

So unless one or two high earners are willing to realise they are probably at their last club and take a pay cut then I see no other way of keeping them.

It will be tough for the likes of Chris Martin etc to expect a lucrative deal from another club, especially in these tough times.

We will see, In Cocu/Mel I trust.

10 hours ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

Agree with this. As money is going to tight next season for nearly all non prem teams. They will be looking in house at u23s and u18s. 

Our youth set up is already producing 1st teamers.

Just read DET Trailist now training with 1st team

I am sure we will but there will also be a lot of decent youngsters released from other clubs 

The main priorities should definitely be keeping hold of key youngsters. Knight, Sibley, Bogle, Bird and Max Lowe just too name a few. Also, keeping hold of Chris Martin is quite important as well, considering he has been on top form this season.

I think a good option to bring back could be Jordan Ibe because his contract is running out at Bournemouth, as long as his wage demands are not too high.

So with there not being too much to talk about right now in terms of legitimate transfer news/links, why not start up another transfer suggestion thread (If allowed). We know big money transfers are highly unlikely due to FFP, so realistically, small fee/free's/loans are the likely options. 

Where do we need to strengthen and who do you suggest we go for ?

My ideal pick would be Jordan Ibe, however im sure his wages will be out of our league now. but who knows

Everyone keeps going on about Ibe,

Is it because he would on a free, or he once had a good 'part season' with us or that we think he better than what we have 'potentially' got already ?

Even if did decide to come, he'd want good wages and a reasonably long contract, which would be expensive.

Is would definitely impact of how many and the quality of any other signings, we could then afford with our 'remaining' transfer pot.

I personally think the jury is still out on Mr Ibe,, skill wise there's no problem but application and consistency over a period of time we have yet to see. 

For these reasons in my humble opinion, its a no 

Archived