Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Watch it in a dark room with good quality speakers for the best experience. And maybe a funny cigarette, but you didn't hear that from me.

Which is perhaps how I came to love The Man with Two Brains and LA Story quite so much. Though you didn't hear that from me.

Guy Ritchie's The Covenant - routine Afghanistan war flick. Interesting in that it's a true story, but rather muted performances from Gyllenhaal and Salim render the project standard fare. 

I've a lot of time for Ritchie, though since Lock, Stock and Snatch, I do think his work has become increasingly patchy. Sadly, this is another movie that won't live long in the memory.

6/10

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*** (Netflix)

Basically, the key points of Manson's book, condensed into an hour and a half.

Brugse Zot Blond/10

(Ratings are now based upon beer)

Would that be more than a Castlemaine XXXX, but less than a Marston's Pedigree?

I've avoided "The Cloverfield Paradox" on Netflix for ages because I knew it wasn't well liked. I was on my own last night, though, and decided to see if it was as crap as a lot were saying.

I realise I went into it with very low expectations but it was a not bad 6/10 for me.

Echoes of Event Horizon and Sunshine - though nowhere near as good as either of those. Interesting how it was trying to tie up with the other 2 Cloverfield films and some good visual effects for what is a low budget sci fi film but Chris O'Dowd's sprinkling of comic lines just seemed out of place and distracting, though. A strange casting choice.

Sisu -https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14846026/

Nazi soldiers in Finland steal a gold haul from a lone miner, who himself has a dark past, leaving him for dead in the process. The ex-soldier attempts to exact his revenge and retrieve his gold.

A complete oddity of a film, shot with nods to current filmmakers and the Spaghetti westerns of the 70s. It's firmly tongue in cheek, with more holes than a shopping basket and some hilariously over the top depictions of violence.

Utterly predictable, gloriously anarchic nonsense.

7/10

The Mother on Netflix - utter horse droppings…crap story, so many plot holes, unbelievable characters, weirdly paced and different parts seem to have been directed by different people…..

Mikel Beck - or in Eddie’s new scoring system, a can of cheap supermarket lager that’s been open for several weeks and someone has put out their cigarettes in it….

Edited by Gaspode

Just watched “Lamborghini. The man behind the legend”.

Very disappointing and not really much of a story. 3/10.

Also watched “Finding Steve McQueen” last week. Much better based (loosely no doubt) on the true story of one of the biggest attempted thefts in US history. 7/10.

Edited by Tamworthram

Roma on Netflix.  Just finished it and glad that it's over and yet would not have wanted to miss it.  The story of Cleo, a domestic worker for an upper middle class family in Mexico.  Yalitza Aparicio as Cleo gives a superb performance, the direction and cinematography top notch, shot in black and white. 

If you're a fellow with some machismo issues, it's likely best you watch it alone, but do view it.

10/10  Outstanding realism in a film.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3

Dragged along on Sunday by a friend who desperately wanted to see this. I haven't seen a Marvel film since Avengers Endgame and this just underlined for me how bored I am with it all.

All the backstory about how Rocket came to be was quite dark & poignant (a good thing) but I thought the story was quite weak and, like most Marvel films, it's a good 20-30 mins too long.

Film: 5/10

Venue: 10/10. We went to The Kinema in the Woods, while camping at Woodhall Spa for the weekend. Lovely historic cinema tucked away in the trees. Proper intermission and everything.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Based on the brief story description (a mother trying to get the local police force to put more effort into finding the man that raped and murdered her daughter), I really didn't think this would be my sort of film. I suspected it would be far too bleak and depressing - but I couldn't have been more wrong...Be warned there's plenty of adult content including very strong language, some racist language, and a few violent scenes, but it's also full of black humour (with some real laugh out loud moments) and some terrific acting.

A solid 8/10 - veering towards a 9/10 - well worth a couple of hours of your time....

10 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Based on the brief story description (a mother trying to get the local police force to put more effort into finding the man that raped and murdered her daughter), I really didn't think this would be my sort of film. I suspected it would be far too bleak and depressing - but I couldn't have been more wrong...Be warned there's plenty of adult content including very strong language, some racist language, and a few violent scenes, but it's also full of black humour (with some real laugh out loud moments) and some terrific acting.

A solid 8/10 - veering towards a 9/10 - well worth a couple of hours of your time....

Been a few years since I saw this, but remember really liking it but felt it lacked a proper ending.