Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

On 12/06/2024 at 23:15, Comrade 86 said:

The Phantom of the Open: Mark Rylance as watchable as ever playing Maurice Flitcroft, the guerrilla golfing legend.

A touching, gentle and endearing outing and well worth a watch.

Marco / 10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12572040/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00205fz/the-phantom-of-the-open

Literally just logged on to post this movie, I should've known a member of good taste had already been there. 

'Marvellous' for Golf, heart warming simple stuff.

The Phantom of the Open: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00205fz via @bbciplayer

30 minutes ago, Rev said:

Literally just logged on to post this movie, I should've known a member of good taste had already been there. 

'Marvellous' for Golf, heart warming simple stuff.

The Phantom of the Open: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00205fz via @bbciplayer

I've a penchant for quintessentially British cinema and this just nailed it for me. I do think Rylance remains something of a hidden gem too, despite picking up roles in blockbusters like Dunkirk and Bridge of Spies.

Check him out in The Outfit if you get a chance. Slow burn, US made gangster flick, with Rylance once again the star turn.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14114802/

16 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Check him out in The Outfit if you get a chance. Slow burn, US made gangster flick, with Rylance once again the star turn.

Cracking movie, Scene all set in a tailors shop, Rylance is one of those English actors who got better with age 😊

He played Thomas Cromwell in Wolf Hall a 6 part historical series...excellent 👍

On 28/06/2024 at 22:29, Comrade 86 said:

I've a penchant for quintessentially British cinema and this just nailed it for me. I do think Rylance remains something of a hidden gem too, despite picking up roles in blockbusters like Dunkirk and Bridge of Spies.

Saw The Outfit a couple of months ago - liked it allot.

8 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

Cracking movie, Scene all set in a tailors shop, Rylance is one of those English actors who got better with age 😊

Final series of the latter due on BBC soon I think.

19 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

I don't get it with Mark Rylance. All I see is an actor giving slight variations of the same performance - all just kind of slow and dim.

5 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I don't get it with Mark Rylance. All I see is an actor giving slight variations of the same performance - all just kind of slow and dim.

You could be right Andy...akin to some football pundits...so I've heard 😁

On 29/06/2024 at 15:40, Tamworthram said:

Watched Hit Man on Netflix last night.

A light hearted crime caper loosely based on a true story.

An easy watch and I thoroughly enjoyed it 7/10.

I enjoyed it until the end, which I felt was very rushed (no spoilers). Seeing as that was the bit that was made up, I just felt they could have made a more interesting conclusion.

On 01/07/2024 at 16:43, Wolfie said:

I enjoyed it until the end, which I felt was very rushed (no spoilers). Seeing as that was the bit that was made up, I just felt they could have made a more interesting conclusion.

Agree with this totally.

Decent comedies are in short supply these days. Glen Powell put in a star turn and I think a 7/10 rating is more than fair. 

But the ending did seem to just come out of nowhere, plus whilst the main 'bad guy' was a nuisance to the protagonist he didn't stir up enough trouble in my eyes to warrant how it ended.

Saw The Bikeriders at the cinema last night.

Good cast, stylistically looks great, characters predictably cool as f***, but the overall plot is quite dry. Very little happens and it's still somehow 2+ hours long.

5/10.

• 2 weeks later...

Road House (2024)

The original was panned but became much loved due to its toe-curling dialogue, naff story and decent fight scenes. Possibly the best bad film ever.

This reboot deliberately leans into the cheese and has lots of little nods to the original. Similar story, but very different setting.

I thought it was a great watch really. Good action, (with a bit of dodgy cgi), Gyllenhall is decent as ever (and ripped to high heaven), lots of intentionally funny bits and plenty of enjoyable really violent scenes and daft characters. 

PS Connor McGregor kinda is great fun.. but also spoils it he's so ott and wtf is his accent!

8/10

Edited by Chester40

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga - Decent addition to the Mad Max series. This is actually a prequal to Mad Max Fury Road but would have been better if it had actually come before that film. Fury Road is superior. 7/10.

Voyage...on YouTube with Gillian Anderson, A UFO that was seen over a Cincinnati airport, There's a cover up by the FBI, A mathematics student gets involved to find the truth...maybe one for @Carl Sagan if he's not seen this

I love stuff like this as I don't think we're the only planet with intelligent life out there.

8-10 enjoyed it 👍