Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

On 02/07/2023 at 19:31, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Watched it last night. Was absolutely blown away.

Can't believe that this and the bloody Puss In Boots movie are two of my favourite films of all time.

Kids loved it.

I was blown away by the special effects and how clever /unique it all was.

But it did leave me a little cold in some ways. Just too much happening at once, just such a constant assault on the senses that I found it hard to concentrate for that long.

21 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

That the one where the Queen gets on the last plane to safety with millions dying and she get's to bring on the Corgis.  

Probably. I've got to the bit where they out-ran a pyroclastic flow in a camper, flew a plane between two collapsing buildings and a scientist suggested that the Earth's entire crust had moved in a south-easterly direction (without realising that in the other hemisphere, the crust would be moving north-westerly - or perhaps north-westerly- sorry, my brain melted).

Edited by Eddie

Watched The Bromley Boys yesterday afternoon on Now TV. I think it’s described as a coming of age comedy. Whilst some of the characters are real I don’t think the story line is based on much truth.

a little bit silly and corny but a fun, light hearted Sunday afternoon viewing. 7/10.

Mission Impossible- Dead Reckoning part 1

Everything you want and expect. Personally it doesn't quite hit the heights of Fallout which I absolutely love, but the set pieces are amazing and all the usual boxes are ticked.

The franchise is streets ahead of Bond, Bourne, Fast n Furious for me. 8.5/10

17 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Mission Impossible- Dead Reckoning part 1

Everything you want and expect. Personally it doesn't quite hit the heights of Fallout which I absolutely love, but the set pieces are amazing and all the usual boxes are ticked.

I'm so far behind, as usual. I watched the first one last night from 1996. Had thought of seeing the latest one, but having no idea what the films are actually about, I decided probably not a good idea to start at number 7. 

Didn't really enjoy it. A lot of people say don't bother with the second one. So, I either jump to 3. Or, jump to 5 and 6. Or just give up.

I think the Bourne films raised the bar for this sort of stuff, and the first MI looked very dated. 

Most notable thing was how young TC looks, and then realising this was 10 years after Top Gun. 🤔

52 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

I'm so far behind, as usual. I watched the first one last night from 1996. Had thought of seeing the latest one, but having no idea what the films are actually about, I decided probably not a good idea to start at number 7. 

Didn't really enjoy it. A lot of people say don't bother with the second one. So, I either jump to 3. Or, jump to 5 and 6. Or just give up.

I think the Bourne films raised the bar for this sort of stuff, and the first MI looked very dated. 

Most notable thing was how young TC looks, and then realising this was 10 years after Top Gun. 🤔

I always thought M-111 was the worst. But those first 3 are of a really different era.

I definitely just watch the last 3 - Ghost Protocol, Rogue Nation and Fallout which all get better as they go along.

Malignant (Prime)

“Madison is paralyzed by shocking visions of grisly murders, and her torment worsens as she discovers that these waking dreams are in fact terrifying realities”

The first half is standard horror film tropes but with some lovely direction from James Wan. The second half it just decides to go off the rails into crazy bonkers gory madness. All in a good way. 

Enjoyed it a lot. 7.5/10

18 hours ago, ketteringram said:

17 hours ago, Chester40 said:

I always thought M-111 was the worst. But those first 3 are of a really different era.

I definitely just watch the last 3 - Ghost Protocol, Rogue Nation and Fallout which all get better as they go along.

The films go through a mixture of styles until they find their niche around 4. While MI2 is very much ‘of its time’ it’s not rubbish. I’m slightly fond of it as 1 of my first VHS that I owned myself.

Id argue MI3 is good purely for Phillip Seymour Hoffmans villain. He’s very good.

They then hit 4 and find their rhythm. Each one builds on the next and they just seem to get better. I def would watch them all if you can, but at least 3 onwards (for the characters that appear in that one are important)

18 hours ago, Chester40 said:

maybe the latter, but for style, realism and sophistication, it's nowhere near (Daniel Craig's) Bond, or Bourne IMO.

I actually watched all 6 older ones in the last 2 weeks in build up to watching the new one on Saturday night. Whilst I enjoy the mindlessness of it, it isn't very clever or sophisticated.

Avoiding spoilers, there's a scene were 2 blokes hold Ethan Hunt back... yeah right!

On 02/07/2023 at 20:13, AndyinLiverpool said:

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Some will not see the sense of making another Indiana Jones film but I loved it.

A macguffin, lots of action and an over the top ending. Standard Indiana Jones fare but really enjoyable.

I thought of it as the end of the trilogy of the best Indy films.

Raiders, Last Crusade and this one.

Indy v Nazis for artefacts that would make bad people invincible. What's not to like.

12 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Can't wait for Oppenheimer. I'm lucky I'm within 30 mins of one of only 30 cinemas across the world showing it in IMAX 70mm.

Damn, I'm jealous, Where is this? I've booked iSense at Odeon, not quite 70mm but it's something at least.

There were a surprising number of adults queued to watch the Barbie movie as we went into Oppenheimer last night, not my cuppa tea but I guess if you grew up with a Barbie it will appeal.

Meanwhile, Oppenheimer was fantastic - you should know the story but the acting, visuals, suspense, drama, horror etc were all top drawer.  Not sure my eyes and ears will ever recover but I might go and watch it again next week with my lad, its definitely one to see on a big screen. 

I'm not usually a fan of real life stuff, I prefer to switch off and be entertained but this is up there with some of my all time favourites.

9 minutes ago, maxjam said:

There were a surprising number of adults queued to watch the Barbie movie as we went into Oppenheimer last night, not my cuppa tea but I guess if you grew up with a Barbie it will appeal.

Meanwhile, Oppenheimer was fantastic - you should know the story but the acting, visuals, suspense, drama, horror etc were all top drawer.  Not sure my eyes and ears will ever recover but I might go and watch it again next week with my lad, its definitely one to see on a big screen. 

I'm not usually a fan of real life stuff, I prefer to switch off and be entertained but this is up there with some of my all time favourites.

I can assure you that I didn’t ‘grow up with Barbie’.

It’s great escapist entertainment and probably not for under 12s.

Glad you enjoyed Oppenheimer. Next on my list!

Went to watch Oppenheimer last night, and echo what @maxjam said. 

if Cillian Murphy and Robert Downey JR don’t win Oscars each for actor and supporting actor, I’ll be amazed. 

such a well made film that had me awake all night processing it! 

must see if you like thoughtful films. It’s very tense and emotionally involving tho. 

Dean Saunders/10

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I can assure you that I didn’t ‘grow up with Barbie’.

It’s great escapist entertainment and probably not for under 12s.

Glad you enjoyed Oppenheimer. Next on my list!

Hehe, sorry I don't know much about the Barbie movie tbh I just assumed as a Star Wars nerd for most the appeal would stem from childhood.

Oppenheimer is fantastic, maybe take some earplugs and find a pair of those eclipse viewing glasses they gave away to all school children a few years ago!!!

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

if Cillian Murphy and Robert Downey JR don’t win Oscars each for actor and supporting actor, I’ll be amazed. 

If there is any justice in the world, thats gotta be nailed on.

Emily Blunt came into it more as the movie went on as well - thought she was excellent as well.

Up in Derbyshire for the weekend so we spared no expense and bought back row tickets at the Belper Ritz. 

I even splashed out for a Greg's chicken pasty in the walk up for myself and Mrs Badger had a sausage roll. 

Kenny Burns would have been proud. 

Fabulous cinema that's I'd go to a lot if I was still local, but it was my first time. 

Mission Impossible would probably have benefited from a bigger screen TBF. 

Special effects and stunts were otherworldly and the script had some amusing moments. 

But whereas the movie could have benefited from a larger screen, a script would have been nice too. 

Unlike a previous poster, I think Bond and Bourne are far superior franchises because both leads (meaning Craig) are so much better.

I really like Cruise in many (non-religious) ways, but he's just not as dynamic an actor as Craig or Damon. 

I quite enjoyed it but I'm not sure I'll bother with part 2. Especially with my memory which barely takes 10 seconds to self destruct and I'll have forgotten what (little) happened in a years time.

And why of why in every scene did every person speak in order for the same amount of time. It was so awkward I thought at one stage it was an in-joke.  

Stunts and special effects 10/10

Sir Thomas of Cruise 5/10

Overall a rompy 7/10

One other thing. 

Who was shovelling the coal in?