Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

Everything Everywhere All at Once

Rarely have I had such a terrible time in a cinema. Sensory overload for almost two and a half hours. Utterly exhausting and completely pointless.

The only reason I didn't walk out is because me and Her Indoors don't get to go out that much. She loved it.

The sum total of Mick Coop and Mikkel Beck out of 10. A big fat zero.

44 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Everything Everywhere All at Once

Rarely have I had such a terrible time in a cinema. Sensory overload for almost two and a half hours. Utterly exhausting and completely pointless.

The only reason I didn't walk out is because me and Her Indoors don't get to go out that much. She loved it.

The sum total of Mick Coop and Mikkel Beck out of 10. A big fat zero.

I once went to the pictures and sat there for 3 hrs to see something called Watchmen and I had not the slightest clue what the feck was going on. Apparently, it was my fault as I hadn't read the graphic novel.  I doubt it would have made much difference.

Top Gun: Maverick

2/10

If you hated the first, you will hate this as well. 

I think I was the only person in the cinema who would have rather put a gun to my head than be there, but Mrs Badger had bought tickets for her nephew and niece and I was forced to go on pain of death.

If you'd asked me to list my most hated movies of all time the first Top Gun would have been loitering around the top.

If you like films written strictly to a formula with no plot twists that you weren't expecting around about minute two of the movie, then this is definitely for you.

It's also for you if you're not troubled by scenes that start shot in one country and clearly end, shot in another area of the globe.

But enough of giving @Davida hard time (not that he will care), I will say this.

Some of the action sequences were breathtakingly good and it was worth watching for those alone.

Tom Cruise annoys me.

He's 3 weeks younger than me but looks 15 years younger and is ripped like a side of beef.

He's also wealthy, good looking, funny, and incredibly hard working.

What's not to be annoyed about?

But he's so ducking charismatic that I can't help but to like him in almost everything he does including this.

I'd probably have hated this as much as the first if I'd watched it on a TV, but I quite enjoyed it....surprisingly.

If you love high-octane moves, you're not a raving pedant like I am and you find it easy to suspend belief (such as when TC is aiming to hit Mach 10 and starts banking the plane at Mach 9 when the current world record is Mach 3.3 - and this is right at the start so not a spolier) ) you'll probably love it.

Paul Blades/10

An interesting tidbit that sums Cruise up. He apparently made the actors learn the basics of flying one of these things

Badger out.

A trite, superficial, adolescent melodrama involving a series of cartoonish relationships with an undemanding ‘Boys Own’ adventure tacked on the end.

The mostly boring and self-pitying first two thirds - 0/10

The more action focused final third - 5/10

The big budget special effects - 8/10

5 hours ago, ramesses said:

A trite, superficial, adolescent melodrama involving a series of cartoonish relationships with an undemanding ‘Boys Own’ adventure tacked on the end.

I think 0 is a tad harsh, you get 1 point for being able to spell your name write in an exam.

And I'm not sure how you'd top the special effects.

But overall I'm with ya. 

Cruise was still good though.

Without him it would have been a plane wreck. 

On 30/05/2022 at 04:00, ramesses said:

This sounds feckin brilliant. Might have to watch it twice.

On 30/05/2022 at 18:10, Bob The Badger said:

I think 0 is a tad harsh, you get 1 point for being able to spell your name write in an exam.

And I'm not sure how you'd top the special effects.

But overall I'm with ya. 

Cruise was still good though.

Without him it would have been a plane wreck. 

Yes, you’re just a bit more generous about Tom Cruise’s impact than I am. I enjoyed the most recent Mission Impossible (and Edge of Tomorrow and some others) so I don’t think I have Tom Cruise derangement syndrome. However even he needs a half decent plot and script which he didn’t get here.

I agree with you about the aerial special effects. However, if I’d given that 10/10 it might have suggested that I’d pay to sit through the film once again just for that - and I really wouldn’t.

6 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

This sounds feckin brilliant. Might have to watch it twice.

Many will. It’s a global hit. I just checked and Rotten Tomatoes shows 97% positive with the critics and 99% positive with the paying punters.  I’m obviously in the minority and chances are you’ll enjoy it.

3 hours ago, ramesses said:

Many will. It’s a global hit. I just checked and Rotten Tomatoes shows 97% positive with the critics and 99% positive with the paying punters.  I’m obviously in the minority and chances are you’ll enjoy it.

I imagine it will get rave reviews from most people that go to see it because, I suspect, it will hold few surprises and you’ll get exactly the type of film you’re expecting. If it’s not your thing (it’s not mine but everyone to their own) you’re less likely to go and see it.

It’s the nostalgia.

Look at Star Wars, absolutely terrible films, yet those that grew up with them will continue to go and watch them as they have a connection to the characters.

Top Gun has somewhat of a cult following, you could still buy merchandise even prior to Maverick being announced, for a film that was made in 1986 and a one off, that’s some going.

I think you have to be in the following which loved the first, if you wasn’t then I really don’t see this one offering anything different to sway.

It’s just a “cool” film.

Top Gun - Maverick.

Seen it on the IMAX screen for full effect, I'd recommend watching it on the biggest screen you can find.

I won't go all Barry Norman here, and I'm not normally a fan of this type of film, but leave cynicism at the door and let the film wash over you. 

The final act is possibly the most demented half hour ever committed to celluloid, but go with it and you'll be rewarded in spades, I could quite easily have sat there and watched it again straight away.

Eranio, Igor, Wright, Saunders, Marco, Chrissy/10.