Player of the season

Andicis

For me there has to be some correlation to number of games played or at least minutes on the pitch.

Bird and Rooney haven't played anything like enough to be considered (less than half of what Waghorn has played for instance). 

I'd vote for Holmes personally.

Player Apps (all competitions, including subs)

Martyn Waghorn 41

Tom Lawrence 35

Jack Marriott 34

Curtis Davies 31

Jayden Bogle 31

Duane Holmes 31

Matthew Clarke 28

Chris Martin 28

Max Lowe 27

Jason Knight 26

Kelle Roos 23

Krystian Bielik 21

Ben Hamer 20

Scott Malone 19

Andre Wisdom 18

Craig Forsyth 18

Graeme Shinnie 18

Max Bird 18

Morgan Whittaker 17

Wayne Rooney 15

George Evans 14

Jamie Paterson 12

Tom Huddlestone 12

Florian Jozefzoon 11

Kieran Dowell 10

Mason Bennett t9

Richard Keogh 8

Louie Sibley 8

Lee Buchanan 4

Jayden Mitchell-Lawson 1

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, admira said:

For me there has to be some correlation to number of games played or at least minutes on the pitch.

Bird and Rooney haven't played anything like enough to be considered (less than half of what Waghorn has played for instance). 

I'd vote for Holmes personally.

Player Apps (all competitions, including subs)

Martyn Waghorn 41

Tom Lawrence 35

Jack Marriott 34

Curtis Davies 31

Jayden Bogle 31

Duane Holmes 31

Matthew Clarke 28

Chris Martin 28

Max Lowe 27

Jason Knight 26

Kelle Roos 23

Krystian Bielik 21

Ben Hamer 20

Scott Malone 19

Andre Wisdom 18

Craig Forsyth 18

Graeme Shinnie 18

Max Bird 18

Morgan Whittaker 17

Wayne Rooney 15

George Evans 14

Jamie Paterson 12

Tom Huddlestone 12

Florian Jozefzoon 11

Kieran Dowell 10

Mason Bennett t9

Richard Keogh 8

Louie Sibley 8

Lee Buchanan 4

Jayden Mitchell-Lawson 1

What surprises me about that list is Jack Marriott making 34 appearances. I wouldn't have thought it was anywhere near that amount. 

1 hour ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

If the season ended now, it's got to be Waggers for me.

Top in appearances. Top in goals scored. Always puts in 100%. 

To be fair though, as you've said, he's top in appearances so it's not a surprise the striker with the most appearances has the most goals. How many games has his wastefulness cost us in?

I'd personally go for little man Duane. 

I've really liked him since minute one though, to be fair, so I may be bias in that view but I feel he's been good and consistent for the most part. Lawrence is second. Waghorn has been good, but he's been extremely wasteful this season - if he had been that little bit more composed infront of goal it could've easily made up that 5 point difference between where we are now and the top 6. I thought a lot of people gave him a hard time during the season, but it's now gone too far in the opposite direction in giving him the POTY award. He's had the fifth most shots in the Championship from inside the box - 64 - he's only got 12 goals to show for it. Although, it's nowhere near as bad as Bamford - 87 shots inside the area, 22 inside the six yard box - 13 goals. I have never seen anything as appalling as that - Ollie Watkins for balance: 75 inside the area, 13 six yard box - 22 goals. 

I votes for Waghorn reasons why. 

1. He has played most therefore 'appearances/minutes wise' and therefore helped to contribute the ' most' on the field this season so far.

2. Although, not a natural gifted player, is a real trier, someone who personifies a never give up attitude against all odds.

3. An unselfish team player who will to play anywhere and work hard for little glory.

4. Does not seem to resent the success of other team members naturally more gifted than him but through hard work aspires to match  them in effort and determination if not skill level.   

5. Does not let his head drop even after a disappointment (missing a chance/being substituted) but just keeps on trying next time. 

6. Has scored the most goals. 

13 hours ago, Andicis said:

To be fair though, as you've said, he's top in appearances so it's not a surprise the striker with the most appearances has the most goals. How many games has his wastefulness cost us in?

Probably about as many as he's positively affected by goals scored and general effort. Although, I agree he's been frustrating at times (the penalty misses against Swansea and WBA stick out in my mind).

I would vote for Lawrence but I’m not sure it’s worth the negative publicity the club would get from other fanbases if he won it.

For that reason it would be Waghorn. Think he is hugely under appreciated and his work off the ball in both an attacking and defensive sense is very important. Arguably scored the goal that turned the season around at Wigan away as well.

Gotta plump for Max Bird really. Unbelievable improvement under the guidance of Wazza. Tom Lawrence, Wazza himself and a late charge from Louis Sibley other highlights but Max has been the shining light IMO.

God I miss football. We were starting to really find our stride too. Ah well...

Waghorn gets my vote. Yeah he’s missed penalties and chances but keeps making himself available for another crack and works hard for the team.

I like his attitude and hey, Andy Cole and Darren Bent missed their fair share of chances in front of goal, it comes with the territory for the less than elite.

10 hours ago, Rab a dab doo said:

I votes for Waghorn reasons why. 

1. He has played most therefore 'appearances/minutes wise' and therefore helped to contribute the ' most' on the field this season so far.

2. Although, not a natural gifted player, is a real trier, someone who personifies a never give up attitude against all odds.

3. An unselfish team player who will to play anywhere and work hard for little glory.

4. Does not seem to resent the success of other team members naturally more gifted than him but through hard work aspires to match  them in effort and determination if not skill level.   

5. Does not let his head drop even after a disappointment (missing a chance/being substituted) but just keeps on trying next time. 

6. Has scored the most goals. 

Not saying I wouldn't vote for him but, we've lost quite a lot of games and he's "contributed" to those games as well. So, whilst I think POYT needs to have played a decent number of games, playing the MOST games/minutes wouldn't come into the equation for me.

Archived