The Young Rams

Bubbles

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

Slightly surprised you think Bird retaining possession is a negative thing. The one thing a young lad should be building a habit of is not giving the ball away and he's doing just that. As for him not driving forward, I suggest you rewatch the Swansea highlights to remind yourself it was his endeavor that created the winner. The first time passing and general class will come with time and increased confidence but he's doing everything right so far. 

That’s the exception though and not the rule. 

Now I think it’s true to say he doesn’t play through the lines a lot but that’s without context. We don’t play a system that’s particularly easy to pass forward in. We’re very narrow and our full-backs are our width. 

If he’s to be a defensive midfielder he needs to win the ball back more. Thorne, Bielik and Mascarell all won the ball back twice more per game. Eustace and BJ both won it more regularly as well. 

I have a slight feeling he may be more of a Hughes than a Thorne though. So ideally he’d have the freedom to go and back-up play and keep things ticking over but do you really want Rooney as an out-and-out DM himself?

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

Like he did in Turkey. 

2 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

But he turned into a cart horse slow clogger. Sibley will go on to be a much better player

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

Like he did in Turkey. 

so have you considered the circumstances he worked under there?

1 minute ago, TommyPowell said:

so have you considered the circumstances he worked under there?

I like Cocu mate.

It was tongue in cheek.

All managers are judged on results and under the circumstances he’s doing ok. 

One thing is for sure, midfield will not be an area that needs strengthening next season, can't wait

It must make Mel Morris so proud (or relieved) that his highly financed academy project is producing these 'wonderkids'.

And having Wayne Rooney around them is a master stroke

On 05/03/2020 at 22:41, Squid said:

Honestly thought the lads deserve a separate thread.

Give yourselves a pat on the back.

Sibley was quality today, his beef with McDonalds was a joy to watch. Showed passion, resilience, top stuff.

Knighty boy, getting better with each game, I mean that.

Bird, same as above!

Whittaker getting better, showing more effort and determination, his time will come..

People will give Cocu poo for the lineup, look at the bigger picture, giving these lads the opportunity to play against Man United, who i said before the game have been a different gravy recently, is an priceless opportunity for them to go and stake a claim.

They can hold their heads high. An inform united and thats all you can say really.

Next season we will be better, giving these lads the chances and opportunities that arise will do them a world of good on their way to becoming valuable first team players.

Ah well, on to the next one.

The future is black and white ladies, gentlemen, non-binary friends!

Yes really impressed with the young players mentioned and their performances probably justifies Cocu's team selection. Really impressed with Sibley who looked full of energy and played with bags of confidence. 

9 minutes ago, zaragozaram said:

Right that's Bird, Knight and Sibley fully integrated into the team. It must be time for the Whittaker bandwagon to get rolling. Or anyone else on the horizon? Buchanan, Bateman, Triallist?

Festy Ebosele will be next I reckon.

Jordan Brown also a good shout and Jahmal Hector-Ingram if he can get proper match fit next season - he could be our replacement centre forward for when Chris retires. Just needs a season learning from the master (though could probably teach him a thing or two about winning penalties!)

After Whittaker, I would say Buchanan and JML are the next closest given their appearances for the first team already. 
Ebosele, Thompson and Archie are the three I see pushing on and knocking on the door next season. I expect other who are currently closer to the first team will go on loans first, such as Trialist.

On 07/03/2020 at 13:18, SamUltraRam said:

One thing is for sure, midfield will not be an area that needs strengthening next season, can't wait

It must make Mel Morris so proud (or relieved) that his highly financed academy project is producing these 'wonderkids'.

And having Wayne Rooney around them is a master stroke

Yes Mel Morris will be relieved to see all this youth talent on show after his investment in the academy. Hopefully the young players continue to progress next season. You never know, it could lead to a promotion push. 

On 07/03/2020 at 11:25, cannable said:

That’s the exception though and not the rule. 

Now I think it’s true to say he doesn’t play through the lines a lot but that’s without context. We don’t play a system that’s particularly easy to pass forward in. We’re very narrow and our full-backs are our width. 

If he’s to be a defensive midfielder he needs to win the ball back more. Thorne, Bielik and Mascarell all won the ball back twice more per game. Eustace and BJ both won it more regularly as well. 

I have a slight feeling he may be more of a Hughes than a Thorne though. So ideally he’d have the freedom to go and back-up play and keep things ticking over but do you really want Rooney as an out-and-out DM himself?

I was waiting to reply to this, he did it again today so I don't agree. Just before Waghorn's stonewall penalty 1st half, Bird picked the ball up and drove 40/50 yards forward before laying it off to Waghorn. For me, Bird's decision-making is just top notch; if the pass backwards is the sensible option, he uses it, but if dribbling forward until a better option opens up is best, he'll also instinctively do that. 

I'd argue today generally disproved a lot of this post though, our passing forward was much improved and far more effective this afternoon and Bird was at the centre of a lot of it. With the ever-combative Shinnie alongside him, together they showed a pretty complete midfield display. Bird is more of a holding midfielder rather than defensive midfielder though, his composure on the ball is his main asset and linking play; he's more of a playmaker than enforcer basically. 

Hughes and Thorne both played specific roles in a midfield 3. In the 2 that we currently play, you sort of have to combine the qualities of both roles and i think Bird does that excellently. Doesn't shirk a challenge but also then has serious class on the ball and really gets us playing. 

50 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

I was waiting to reply to this, he did it again today so I don't agree. Just before Waghorn's stonewall penalty 1st half, Bird picked the ball up and drove 40/50 yards forward before laying it off to Waghorn. For me, Bird's decision-making is just top notch; if the pass backwards is the sensible option, he uses it, but if dribbling forward until a better option opens up is best, he'll also instinctively do that. 

I'd argue today generally disproved a lot of this post though, our passing forward was much improved and far more effective this afternoon and Bird was at the centre of a lot of it. With the ever-combative Shinnie alongside him, together they showed a pretty complete midfield display. Bird is more of a holding midfielder rather than defensive midfielder though, his composure on the ball is his main asset and linking play; he's more of a playmaker than enforcer basically. 

Hughes and Thorne both played specific roles in a midfield 3. In the 2 that we currently play, you sort of have to combine the qualities of both roles and i think Bird does that excellently. Doesn't shirk a challenge but also then has serious class on the ball and really gets us playing. 

This isn’t me backtracking or altering my opinion to counter this reply and you can find each point I’m about to make fragmented in post throughout today. 

As with Mount, I have never questioned Bird’s talent, I have questioned his performance. I’ve started becoming harsh on youngsters since Grealish and Maddison began to dwarf Hughes’ career despite him being arguably the best of the three. 

Today was his best game for us and was a performance akin to the player people see. With Shinnie doing the dirty work he was allowed to dictate and be the playmaker. 

To label him the next Thorne or even Carrick is incorrect as he didn’t win a tackle all game and he doesn’t feed the ball through the thirds.

He looks more like a driving midfielder if anything. Keeps the ball well, makes good decision, can carry it into space and slot it though. 

1 hour ago, SamUltraRam said:

So let's just say that a Premier team comes to us in the Summer & says " Here's £ 30m & we'd like Knight, Bird & Sibley please "

What should we do ?

I'd say: If you wanna make business, then come back with a serious offer.

Archived