The Young Rams

Bubbles

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree Powell matured young like Rooney, but sadly he didn't fulfill his potential like Rooney did. That was what I was trying to infer. To be fair to Powell he was overplayed as a teenager and forced to play injured. That's why I have more confidence in Cocu to develop our youngsters with modern day sports science, to fulfill their potential.

2 minutes ago, Wraggrams said:

I agree Powell matured young like Rooney, but sadly he didn't fulfill his potential like Rooney did. That was what I was trying to infer. To be fair to Powell he was overplayed as a teenager and forced to play injured. That's why I have more confidence in Cocu to develop our youngsters with modern day sports science, to fulfill their potential.

Interesting point .

I remember Stevie flattening Tommy Smith against Liverpool at the BBG on debut I think. 
You have a point about overplaying youngsters though too early and it can effect them in a number of ways like confidence and wearing them down ie burnout.  

Steve Powell had finesse and quality in defense and midfield of which I’m yet to see in young Sibley. .

Truth is I’m not sure what sort of future Sibley has in today’s football .

I don’t think Roy Keane would survive VAR  

2 minutes ago, ossieram said:

He played as a defensive midfielder and a defender and I'd say he played more as a fullback than he did in midfield, especially towards the end of his career.

He was also very skillful and was a creator as well as attacking and defending.

Ex Bemrose school lad . His dad was ex Derby player Tommy Powell who manager Northcliffe and Littleover old boys. 

Tommy was a good player in his own right. 

As for young Sibley time will tell but I wish he would stop trying to be a hard man a concentrate on what he does best. 

5 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Just wondering for those old enough, on reflection could Sibley be our new Steve Powell?

Steve Powell was a very good defensive midfield player. Get the ball back and give it to someone in a white shirt. Key role and he did it very well.

Sibley is much more creative. Love his running with the ball. I think he's his own player and not that similar to those that have gone before. However, if pushed, I'd say he's a little like the master Archie Gemill in that he is great at carrying the ball but has a fiery temper on him.

But Louie Sibley is his own man and I am really enjoying watching him develop ?

17 minutes ago, Curtains said:

He was also very skillful and was a creator as well as attacking and defending.

Ex Bemrose school lad . His dad was ex Derby player Tommy Powell who manager Northcliffe and Littleover old boys. 

Tommy was a good player in his own right. 

As for young Sibley time will tell but I wish he would stop trying to be a hard man a concentrate on what he does best. 

I know all about Steve and was only talking to him a few weeks back, according to my dad, Tommy was one of the best players he ever saw in a Derby shirt.

Sibley isn't trying to be a hard man! He is very competitive and it can sometimes boil over, but that is part of his make up and if you stop that, you change the player completely.

50 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Interesting point .

I remember Stevie flattening Tommy Smith against Liverpool at the BBG on debut I think. 
You have a point about overplaying youngsters though too early and it can effect them in a number of ways like confidence and wearing them down ie burnout.  

Steve Powell had finesse and quality in defense and midfield of which I’m yet to see in young Sibley. .

Truth is I’m not sure what sort of future Sibley has in today’s football .

I don’t think Roy Keane would survive VAR  

Thanks Curtains, thought I wasn’t cracking up. Good few years ago but that was along the lines what Tommy told me about Steve at a charity event.

My recollection of him is mainly videos of his efforts as my memory was too young, so I can’t argue with Ossie either, but my old man probably would ?

I’ve said elsewhere, I reckon Sibley has attributes to be creative, skilful on the ball and yet aggressive enough to break up play and yes I do believe Cocu will ensure all our young prospects don’t burn up.

It’s a healthy debate, in that I’ve at times been critical of his tinkering (silently doubted dropping Martin last night as an aside), yet whenever a youngster has had a dip or needed a break, he’s not been slow taking them out the firing line; for that he gets plaudits from me.

Some pretty harsh judgements of Morgan to my mind. There were plenty writing off Max Bird lest we forget so perhaps some patience might be in order. To my eye he looks a classy player in the making and I'd wager that the L1/L2 comments will look both premature and pretty daft in time. 

On 05/03/2020 at 22:26, Remy the hare said:

Play Cocu’s kids then for the rest of the season. We’ve nothing to loose and experience to gain. No more mr tinkerman swapping and changing please. 

Heres an idea  let the manager do his job he knows what hes doing

1 hour ago, TommyPowell said:

Heres an idea  let the manager do his job he knows what hes doing

Another ridiculous post saying shut up, your opinion is irrelevant.

What is the forum for except to share one's opinion, and if it is different from Cocu's so what?

MIDFIELD

not that long as the most senior midfield would have been selected from ten players -   bielik, Huddlestone, shinnie, Holmes, Waghorn, Rooney, Lawrence, jozefzoon, dowell and Paterson. 

since then dowell and Paterson have returned to their parent clubs ; bielik, Huddlestone and Holmes are all injured; and Jozefzoon seems to have faded away to become a very peripheral figure - the new Anya. so, the most senior line up we could have picked v Man Utd would have been Martin and Marriott up front, with Waghorn, Rooney, shinnie and Lawrence in midfield. not bad but we don’t usually play 442. We have settled on a system with just one up front and five in midfield. 

once Waghorn was selected to play up front in that system , it left Rooney, lawrence and shinnie, plus two others in midfield. bird has made the holding position his own, and knight is now the obvious replacement for Holmes or Waghorn in midfield. So the only controversial selection was to prefer Sibley over shinnie, which I have been calling for, for ages. So, although there were three youngsters in midfield, that was ok. bird has been brilliant, knight is very good, and sibley got a chance to showcase his drive, aggression and attacking instinct which gave us a better mix than shinnie, who is more defensive. 

I think that is a decent midfield. It may be young, but it’s good.

bird has been fantastic and is on course for the POTY in my opinion, (although the gong will probably go to Rooney). I like the fact that he uses the ball very quickly. He plays at a higher tempo that huddz. He is usually also more forward focussed, and plays shorter passes.

knight would be better in central midfield and will no doubt move inside when Rooney departs. But he is doing a very good job out wide. He is a breath of fresh air. My nomination for YPOTY. 

Finally we get to see bird, knight and sibley together, and they all played well. I would love that combination to be the basis of our midfield for years to come. With better wingers, a sharp striker, and a solid back four we should be well set. 

these three are a credit to the academy. 

I said this in another thread but regarding Whittaker I think it’s more a mental thing which will come with time. He’s got to be comfortable in his own skin and truly believe he belongs at this level. It takes some people longer (look at Max Bird for example), that’s the only thing the other lads have got over him at the moment. He has everything to go right to the top, he’s just missing that self belief right now. Give him time and he will be a player, I’m sure of it.

I don't want anyone to think I'm saying this because it's the lazy "blonde" link but Sibley does remind me of a more attacking Will Hughes. Hughes was similar - not a DM but certainly has a biting challenge to him. Not the biggest stature but bags of courage

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

I don't want anyone to think I'm saying this because it's the lazy "blonde" link but Sibley does remind me of a more attacking Will Hughes. Hughes was similar - not a DM but certainly has a biting challenge to him. Not the biggest stature but bags of courage

Fully agreed. There is certainly similarities playing wise. Both left-footed, both taking very good care of the ball. Not the fastest and certainly not the strongest but both use their body well with low gravity. So called "natural" footballers with quick footballing brains I guess. Will's ability and eagerness to tackle went often unnoticed but with Sibley it just too glaring not to see. He tackles way way harder so even the blindest of the fans will see it. Obviously there is lot of other differences as well, mostly in directeness, but similarities are definitely there.

8 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

Another ridiculous post saying shut up, your opinion is irrelevant.

What is the forum for except to share one's opinion, and if it is different from Cocu's so what?

oh i see i cant post my opinion because you dont agree with it.Maybe you should give that some though?

Archived