The Young Rams

Bubbles

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sibley - Excellent. Will be some player.

Bird - thought he did OK tonight and will be good.

Knight - I’m not sold. For an attacking midfielder will he contribute enough? Jury is out for me.

Whittaker - won’t make it. Not smart enough, too weak for Championship.

Lowe - not consistent enough and poor defensively.

Bogle - will be OK long term but really needs to have two solid centre backs to give him the ability to play to his strengths more. Needs more coaching to play it earlier/cross earlier. No excuse for a pro footballer kicking a cross out for a goal kick.

12 minutes ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

Thought it was quite ballsy of Sibley to square up to McTominay, who in size makes Sibley look about 12.

Yeah but in mental toughness it looked the other way round. Sibley looks to have real Steel, he’s like Seth going in for a tackle, difference being he’s far more talented with the ball at his feet running at players. On tonight I think he’ll be better than Bird longer term, only just but can see why we had such a great academy last year.

Bird, Sibley and Knight are some midfield. Add Holmes I really hope Bielik can play better in centre of defence, because these kids are showing far more than he has.

50 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Sibley - Excellent. Will be some player.

Bird - thought he did OK tonight and will be good.

Knight - I’m not sold. For an attacking midfielder will he contribute enough? Jury is out for me.

Whittaker - won’t make it. Not smart enough, too weak for Championship.

Lowe - not consistent enough and poor defensively.

Bogle - will be OK long term but really needs to have two solid centre backs to give him the ability to play to his strengths more. Needs more coaching to play it earlier/cross earlier. No excuse for a pro footballer kicking a cross out for a goal kick.

Jason Knight has scored 4 goals in 21 games in his breakthrough season as an 18 year old lad... I'd say that's an impressive return considering he's playing out of position on the wing for the most part as well?

I've got to say though most of these predictions are a bit off. Bird was better than 'OK' tonight, looked a more composed midfielder than either Fred or McTominay- again in his debut season. Whittaker has played around 10 games so any negative prediction there is naive. And if you think Lowe is poor defensively but Bogle isn't then I'm really not sure what game you're watching. 

I thought all the young lads gave a decent account of themselves tonight, certainly no performance which'd make me want to come on here and claim one of our youngsters ''won't make it''!

Knight, Sibley, Bird, fail to see how anyone cannot be excited for the future. 

In a 4-3-3 that midfield will have everything you want in a team. 

Would even be tempted to go there next year with that and move Rooney up top. As good as Rooney has been for us at DM, he’s not going to go on forever, with Cocu looking ahead already we have the foundation of something special.

GK

Lowe

Dutch Mike

Bielik

Bogle

Bird

Knight

Sibley

Lawrence

Rooney

RW

I know Bielik has been better in midfield for us, but with the emergence of Max Bird and the lack of CB options, the summer should be spent making that his natural position. 

Any money we do have being spent on a keeper and out wide.

Bird's almost certainly cemented himself in to that DM position. Hudd, Bielik, Evans will be good enough backup for next season.
It's difficult in the other two CM positions, though Rooney and Holmes will surely be first choice there - that trio compliments itself so well. Rooney needs the legs of Holmes or Knight next to him, as both do the closing down on the edge of our box that Rooney can't. Sibley needs to up his contribution in that regard for us to have a Bird-Rooney-Sibley midfield. I see Sibley slowly being integrated into the team next year like Knight this season - sometimes in midfield and sometimes on the wing.

Bogle and Lowe will undoubtedly be first choice. There's still a lot of room for both to improve defensively, but with a solid CB pairing, the number of errors leading to goals will be minimized. Use last night and Bristol as examples. Both full backs could have done better, but if the CBs could head a ball and mark tighter, there's a high chance at least 4 of the 6 conceded would have been snuffed out. I wouldn't mind seeing a Wisdom-Evans partnership for a few games to see what they're like.

Whittaker still needs to adjust to men's football - time and space on the ball most importantly. He's shown glimpses with a touch of class here and there, but needs to show it more consistently. Similar for Buchanan when he stepped in early in the season.

Bogle, Lowe, Buchanan, Bird, Knight, Sibley, Whittaker - 1/3rd of our squad for next season. Add Ravas and Hudd to that and we're just under Mel's 50%.

36 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Bird's almost certainly cemented himself in to that DM position. Hudd, Bielik, Evans will be good enough backup for next season.
It's difficult in the other two CM positions, though Rooney and Holmes will surely be first choice there - that trio compliments itself so well. Rooney needs the legs of Holmes or Knight next to him, as both do the closing down on the edge of our box that Rooney can't. Sibley needs to up his contribution in that regard for us to have a Bird-Rooney-Sibley midfield. I see Sibley slowly being integrated into the team next year like Knight this season - sometimes in midfield and sometimes on the wing.

Bogle and Lowe will undoubtedly be first choice. There's still a lot of room for both to improve defensively, but with a solid CB pairing, the number of errors leading to goals will be minimized. Use last night and Bristol as examples. Both full backs could have done better, but if the CBs could head a ball and mark tighter, there's a high chance at least 4 of the 6 conceded would have been snuffed out. I wouldn't mind seeing a Wisdom-Evans partnership for a few games to see what they're like.

Whittaker still needs to adjust to men's football - time and space on the ball most importantly. He's shown glimpses with a touch of class here and there, but needs to show it more consistently. Similar for Buchanan when he stepped in early in the season.

Bogle, Lowe, Buchanan, Bird, Knight, Sibley, Whittaker - 1/3rd of our squad for next season. Add Ravas and Hudd to that and we're just under Mel's 50%.

I expect our CB pairing in the second half of next season to be Bielik and Te Wierik, assuming the former's recovery time takes him past xmas.

11 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

Jason Knight has scored 4 goals in 21 games in his breakthrough season as an 18 year old lad... I'd say that's an impressive return considering he's playing out of position on the wing for the most part as well?

I've got to say though most of these predictions are a bit off. Bird was better than 'OK' tonight, looked a more composed midfielder than either Fred or McTominay- again in his debut season. Whittaker has played around 10 games so any negative prediction there is naive. And if you think Lowe is poor defensively but Bogle isn't then I'm really not sure what game you're watching. 

I thought all the young lads gave a decent account of themselves tonight, certainly no performance which'd make me want to come on here and claim one of our youngsters ''won't make it''!

Jason Knight - I agree he's not a winger and I hate the fact any player gets asked to play in a none natural position to accommodate them or to give them a softer introduction. I want to see Knight go on and boss games a little more - he's been very effective in a handful (The double he scored at home etc) but as he grows and develops, taking a game by the scruff and being the key man is where I want him to grow to. Decision making needs to improve as well as his strength. Bags of energy but he isn't actually that quick IMO.

Bird did look OK - my main gripe about him all season is the pass back rather than pass forward. We saw it a few times last night (Understandable given the opponents) but as he matures and develops, a more offensive minded player will come about. He will learn so much with Rooney - Rooney gets the ball, drives forward, looks for a forward pass all the time, if he's in trouble he lays it off easy and then runs into open space. Also - Rooney oozes class with the first time pass - none of out other players have the bottle to hit the first time pass but it saves a second or so when its done well.

Bogle is suspect defensively - I said that. I caveated it with two solid centre backs (which we haven't had this season). I think Bogle is better than Lowe but again needs to improve defensive aspects, decision making, crossing ability. We can't afford for him to try and be Maradona and take on three people only to lose the ball. Crosses should ALWAYS be done early because defenders are not organised - if your winger or full back is looking to take on the world, the defenders get into the right position and a cross if it actually turns up is harder to attack. Look at Bogle's assists from crosses - the majority of them its either first time or one touch and then bang. Even the Waghorn header last night, one touch then whipped in. Defenders are running back to the goal so they don't have sufficient time to get close to Waghorn etc

Whittaker - he's just too soft and naïve for me. He half heartedly closes players down almost like he's scared of physical contact. Huge step up from playing with players your age to taking on 28/30 year olds who are physically stronger. Sibley gives it back - I love that fiery aspect about it and that will make opponents step back and take note. Whittaker... no one will be scared of him. I was gutted when he came on last night instead of Marriott/Martin. 

Bird last night was incredible. Was pressed by two or three United players at a time and never seemed to be in a panic. He seems reassured and seems to have loads of time whenever he receives the ball in a similar fashion Gilmour was against Liverpool.

His job isn't to pass forward, he's there to keep the ball ticking over and being the "safe" option, recycling the ball and retaining it until it ends up in Rooneys feet for a pass or to Sibley / Holmes / Lawrence to carry toward the goal.

12 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Max Sibley owned mctominae tonight, rattled him good and proper. 
LOVED IT ??????

Just wondering for those old enough, on reflection could Sibley be our new Steve Powell?

Ok i only saw his twilight years but seen videos and heard my Dads tales of his younger years. I’ve also heard a story from Tommy Smith how he relished playing Powell. Put aside he’s more attack minded than Steve, although I’ve seen a few clips of him carrying the ball forward, is Sibley a new midfield destroyer that will rattle opponents, win battles and create impetus? 

We've lacked that at times this season, maybe we have it coming.

Lowe & Bogle are established in my eyes though Bird & Knight have proven over various parts of this season that they can hold their own in the championship, 4 players you can definitely build a team around.

Whittaker im not so sure about? he looks very raw...maybe a loan spell in league one perhaps? assuming they don't go up I would like to see him head someowhere like Coventry, Robins seems to have a good track record of helping the youngsters there with their development.

We're reaching a point where except maybe CB and GK we could field and entire team of academy products and be competitive in the Championship. Very nearly. Bogle, Lowe, Bird and Knight start games regularly. Sibley and Whittaker get minutes and you don't particularly grumble. That's 6 players there already, and who knows who next season's breakthrough stars will be.

1 minute ago, Tombo said:

We're reaching a point where except maybe CB and GK we could field and entire team of academy products and be competitive in the Championship. Very nearly. Bogle, Lowe, Bird and Knight start games regularly. Sibley and Whittaker get minutes and you don't particularly grumble. That's 6 players there already, and who knows who next season's breakthrough stars will be.

Pre-season should be very interesting.

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

Jason Knight - I agree he's not a winger and I hate the fact any player gets asked to play in a none natural position to accommodate them or to give them a softer introduction. I want to see Knight go on and boss games a little more - he's been very effective in a handful (The double he scored at home etc) but as he grows and develops, taking a game by the scruff and being the key man is where I want him to grow to. Decision making needs to improve as well as his strength. Bags of energy but he isn't actually that quick IMO.

Bird did look OK - my main gripe about him all season is the pass back rather than pass forward. We saw it a few times last night (Understandable given the opponents) but as he matures and develops, a more offensive minded player will come about. He will learn so much with Rooney - Rooney gets the ball, drives forward, looks for a forward pass all the time, if he's in trouble he lays it off easy and then runs into open space. Also - Rooney oozes class with the first time pass - none of out other players have the bottle to hit the first time pass but it saves a second or so when its done well.

Bogle is suspect defensively - I said that. I caveated it with two solid centre backs (which we haven't had this season). I think Bogle is better than Lowe but again needs to improve defensive aspects, decision making, crossing ability. We can't afford for him to try and be Maradona and take on three people only to lose the ball. Crosses should ALWAYS be done early because defenders are not organised - if your winger or full back is looking to take on the world, the defenders get into the right position and a cross if it actually turns up is harder to attack. Look at Bogle's assists from crosses - the majority of them its either first time or one touch and then bang. Even the Waghorn header last night, one touch then whipped in. Defenders are running back to the goal so they don't have sufficient time to get close to Waghorn etc

Whittaker - he's just too soft and naïve for me. He half heartedly closes players down almost like he's scared of physical contact. Huge step up from playing with players your age to taking on 28/30 year olds who are physically stronger. Sibley gives it back - I love that fiery aspect about it and that will make opponents step back and take note. Whittaker... no one will be scared of him. I was gutted when he came on last night instead of Marriott/Martin. 

There was a great little article someone posted yesterday with Jason Knight's youth coach in Ireland about why coaches like him, it's often the ugly side of the game, his work off the ball etc that made him stand out and I'd argue the same is still very much true at pro level. His tireless running makes him a valuable player anywhere on the pitch, we've heard Holmes and Rooney talk about how that allows other players to excel. He's never going to be a playmaker that dictates the game, that's more Bird's territory, but his driving runs forward and general dynamism have really helped the team at various points this season and that's admirable for someone of his age.

Slightly surprised you think Bird retaining possession is a negative thing. The one thing a young lad should be building a habit of is not giving the ball away and he's doing just that. As for him not driving forward, I suggest you rewatch the Swansea highlights to remind yourself it was his endeavor that created the winner. The first time passing and general class will come with time and increased confidence but he's doing everything right so far. 

Whittaker needs time. He is a bit too lightweight at the moment but then so was Max Bird at Villa (A) last season...look at him now! He needs to get used to this level and the increased physicality of the men's game, the only way that happens is by giving him gametime and valuable experience, which last night was. You being gutted about a lad that can play on the wing coming on instead of 2 out-and-out No.9s is a bit odd, you would genuinely have preferred to see Chris Martin and his lack of pace on the RW?

2 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

There was a great little article someone posted yesterday with Jason Knight's youth coach in Ireland about why coaches like him, it's often the ugly side of the game, his work off the ball etc that made him stand out and I'd argue the same is still very much true at pro level. His tireless running makes him a valuable player anywhere on the pitch, we've heard Holmes and Rooney talk about how that allows other players to excel. He's never going to be a playmaker that dictates the game, that's more Bird's territory, but his driving runs forward and general dynamism have really helped the team at various points this season and that's admirable for someone of his age.

Slightly surprised you think Bird retaining possession is a negative thing. The one thing a young lad should be building a habit of is not giving the ball away and he's doing just that. As for him not driving forward, I suggest you rewatch the Swansea highlights to remind yourself it was his endeavor that created the winner. The first time passing and general class will come with time and increased confidence but he's doing everything right so far. 

Whittaker needs time. He is a bit too lightweight at the moment but then so was Max Bird at Villa (A) last season...look at him now! He needs to get used to this level and the increased physicality of the men's game, the only way that happens is by giving him gametime and valuable experience, which last night was. You being gutted about a lad that can play on the wing coming on instead of 2 out-and-out No.9s is a bit odd, you would genuinely have preferred to see Chris Martin and his lack of pace on the RW?

Max Bird has introduced a more forward first attitude play over this season. My issue is the amount of opportunities that don’t develop because players are coached to do the safe thing. This safe thing, passing backwards and sideways stunts attacking momentum. I was at Villa Park that day and the difference between then and now is immense. 

Sadly I don’t believe in Whittaker as a player who will develop into a player who is capable of contributing enough to enable DCFC to be a top six team and with him coming on, I just didn’t think it would lead to us creating goal scoring opportunities or pressing when we knew that was going to be needed... which turned out to be true. I wanted us to push Waghorn onto the wing. Our one brilliant chance was Rooney to Bogle to Waghorn. Anyway send him on loan for a season to a League One team and see if he sinks or swims. That’ll be the only way.

Just now, Wraggrams said:

Sibley is an attacking midfielder with attitude. Powell was very much defensively minded. I would be disappointed if Sibley doesn't make more of his talent than Powell. 

Steve Powell or Sibley 

Honestly no contest .

Powell was far superior at this age than Sibley. 

Archived