Coronavirus

1of4

17 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Due to fly to Nice in 2 weeks for a conference. 

Not in Zone 1 or 2, all WHO and NHS advice is to carry on as normal but take extra care of hygiene.

Today I've had 4 emails telling me companies are pulling out and our delegation are pushing for postponement.

Just seems a bit of an overreaction at this point?

Probably. 

But again if something like that does facilitate the spread and then the strain becomes more lethal you'd have wished it were. It's a really difficult situation in the modern world, a pandemic of a virus that we don't know much about that simultaneously isn't quite lethal enough at this stage to worry most people. 

These are exactly the sorts of viruses you can beat the Plague Inc game with ? 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

I don't wake up till 8:30. So went and had a listen to what was said on Wake up to money on 5live that had originally been broadcast at the unearthly hour of 5:30. The programme's presenters didn't  sound that certain about people being able to claim for any lose of earnings.

Spoken to  people who were due to fly out to the far east. The were told in no uncertain terms by their employers, that they would not be allowed to return to work until completing a quarantine period, which would be 

I think they might be on sticky ground if they are flying out for work. However not only five live have reported this today. We will see

57 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Probably. 

But again if something like that does facilitate the spread and then the strain becomes more lethal you'd have wished it were. It's a really difficult situation in the modern world, a pandemic of a virus that we don't know much about that simultaneously isn't quite lethal enough at this stage to worry most people. 

These are exactly the sorts of viruses you can beat the Plague Inc game with ? 

I would happily do 2 weeks self isolation back home for a week in Nice at this time of year!!!

Not quite the point though I guess!

14 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

You've just brought back some memories of playing that on the school iPads.

It actually became quite a fleshed out game over the years.

22 hours ago, Srg said:

Load of nonsense. The Flu is more deadly. Come round with Swine Flu and all the rest of it... yawn. 

9 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

On average 1400 people die from the flu every single day.

Comparing the numbers of dead between different diseases is completely irrelevant. Smallpox didn't kill a single person in 2019, so I guess its ok to just reintroduce it to the population.

And seasonal flu is not more deadly than Coronavirus - the death rate for Coronavirus is several times greater than seasonal Flu - it is still a fairly low percentage, but if it spreads to a similar number of people as Flu infects every year you will be seeing far more than 1400 people per day die.

My company is now starting to use a planning assumption of 2 months for not travelling around the globe. For businesses whose plans assumed lots of roadshows, seminars etc to showcase new products this sort of delay will start being a material impact on business plans etc

All appointments to be cancelled within that window.

I've just been made aware of a member of staff who will over he weekend be flying to Dubai for a cruise back through the Indian Ocean to Cape Town. By the time his holiday is over, he may well find himself being asked to self isolate for some weeks.

Business disruption is the threat we are being asked to scenario test at the present - it is hugely disruptive.

However, liability side risks (we are an insurer) are mounting. The fatality rate is about 2% from the Chinese case. The notorious Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918 was a bit more than 2.5%.....the real biggie is that the global population at that time was estimated at 1.5bn and ONE THIRD became infected.

Extrapolate those sorts of numbers and you get something truly horrendous if the infection rate is similar. But bear in mind that 1918 was a year of truly seismic population shifts in Europe and you can see why travel restrictions has to be the focus at present.

5 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

My company is now starting to use a planning assumption of 2 months for not travelling around the globe. For businesses whose plans assumed lots of roadshows, seminars etc to showcase new products this sort of delay will start being a material impact on business plans etc

All appointments to be cancelled within that window.

I've just been made aware of a member of staff who will over he weekend be flying to Dubai for a cruise back through the Indian Ocean to Cape Town. By the time his holiday is over, he may well find himself being asked to self isolate for some weeks.

Business disruption is the threat we are being asked to scenario test at the present - it is hugely disruptive.

However, liability side risks (we are an insurer) are mounting. The fatality rate is about 2% from the Chinese case. The notorious Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918 was a bit more than 2.5%.....the real biggie is that the global population at that time was estimated at 1.5bn and ONE THIRD became infected.

Extrapolate those sorts of numbers and you get something truly horrendous if the infection rate is similar. But bear in mind that 1918 was a year of truly seismic population shifts in Europe and you can see why travel restrictions has to be the focus at present.

We've also stopped business travel, which is quite handy for me. Skype or other communication methods where possible. 

They wanted to issue everyone with face masks.. Ridiculous. 

33 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

They wanted to issue everyone with face masks.. Ridiculous. 

I went into my local Post Office / store ,I know them well so he tried a bit of market research on me regarding him selling face masks . Would you buy one if I was selling them ? Seemed quite taken back when I told him to duck off.

3 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

Just be glad we don't live in America

This guy came back to Miami from Asia with flu symptoms. Went to the hospital - got tested and given the all clear

Then whacked with a bill for over $1000

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article240476806.html

If there is a proper outbreak in America there will be a lot of people either not going to hospital because they can't afford it (thus spreading the virus further) or going and struggling financially for months even years afterwards to pay for it.

Disgusting really. How they can call themselves civilised when they put people in that position is beyond me.

Trying to contain the spread is the absolutely right thing to do but given the globalised world we live in and the apparent ability of the virus to spread very easily this is something which will be extremely difficult to contain. Corona virus is pretty significantly more deadly than the common flu although it is not Spanish flu proportions of deadliness either. But if it does spread significantly it'll account for a lot of deaths especially in poorer countries as the health infrastructure will simply struggle to cope. There's an argument that if it does spread (and fingers crossed it doesn't mutate into anything much worse) then even developed countries are going to really struggle given the amount of people who will need to be hospitalised due to their symptoms even if they won't be fatalities. 

This virus isn't end of humanity or collapse of civilisation bad but it's certainly got the potential to be extremely disruptive for our day to day lives, stretch government resources and also if it does spread quite a lot of people will unfortunately die because of it. So while it might seem a complete overreaction to what appears to be a relatively limited amount of deaths and cases worldwide, it's better to try and stop it now than actually fighting a a potential full blown world wide pandemic. 

3 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

Just be glad we don't live in America

This guy came back to Miami from Asia with flu symptoms. Went to the hospital - got tested and given the all clear

Then whacked with a bill for over $1000

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article240476806.html

The private health care sector will probably be the only one to see share prices rise in a falling stock market. 

Archived