Coronavirus

1of4

3 hours ago, GboroRam said:

I work in food processing, and I can confirm this is not permitted as it's a contamination risk. Breath will condense inside the mask, and can drip out into the product. We've had to tell line workers to remove masks - it's a risk in itself.

Would face shields/visors help or would condensation still be a problem, especially at reduced temperatures?

I used to work in pharmaceutical research, and when we were working with toxic materials, especially those which could be absorbed subcutaneously, then it was either glove-boxes or full body suits (with air pumped in, so positive pressure internally at all times), Andy Pandy suits, Martindale masks or face shields/visors (think arc-welders' eye protectors).

Incidentally, I've just analysed the figures from Germany over the last 4 days, and I'm pretty well of the opinion that the R number increase from barely 1 to 2.88 over the last 3 days (allowing for the fact that they use a rolling 4-day average as the basis for their figures) is entirely due to the over 1,000 new cases at a single meat processing plant,. It strikes me that this (meat processing/slaughterhouse), with the possible exception of front-line health workers, is one of the most at-risk group of individuals there is.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Would face shields/visors help or would condensation still be a problem, especially at reduced temperatures?

It's entirely down to the risk of food adulteration. Wouldn't be allowed I'm afraid. For an engineer repairing a line it's OK, but for someone working on it - not possible.

4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

It's entirely down to the risk of food adulteration. Wouldn't be allowed I'm afraid. For an engineer repairing a line it's OK, but for someone working on it - not possible.

Could you not allow face masks, then wash the finished product in some sort of solution just before packing.

Maybe something Chlorine based perhaps?

My missus is going absolutely crackers, seeing as we still can't go shopping until at least August, and the likelihood is that everyone else will have the rules relaxed for them a month earlier. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

My missus is going absolutely crackers, seeing as we still can't go shopping until at least August, and the likelihood is that everyone else will have the rules relaxed for them a month earlier. 

Feel for you eddie, my brother and his wife are in the same boat. Stay positive mate..

6 minutes ago, mozza said:

Feel for you eddie, my brother and his wife are in the same boat. Stay positive mate..

It's the wife. I'm ready to just say 'screw that for a game of soldiers' and go shopping - even to don a mask and catch a bus to do so - but because I'm the one who is 'highly vulnerable', she considers it 'her duty' to loyally put herself through the same level of isolation. It's her who has SAD, it's her who is claustrophobic, and it's her who I feel so terribly sorry for - and I can't do a thing. I also daren't open my mouth for fear of causing an upset.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Incidentally, I've just analysed the figures from Germany over the last 4 days, and I'm pretty well of the opinion that the R number increase from barely 1 to 2.88 over the last 3 days (allowing for the fact that they use a rolling 4-day average as the basis for their figures) is entirely due to the over 1,000 new cases at a single meat processing plant,.

corona.JPG.f2b9d8319ed2f1da9ef85a5518757a41.JPG

This is a map of the Gütersloh local government district and the number of recorded cases for each municipality within the district. You can see quite clearly where the factory is located and where the people who work there live.

Total cases 1696
Active cases 990
Recovered 685
Deaths 21

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It's the wife. I'm ready to just say 'screw that for a game of soldiers' and go shopping - even to don a mask and catch a bus to do so - but because I'm the one who is 'highly vulnerable', she considers it 'her duty' to loyally put herself through the same level of isolation. It's her who has SAD, it's her who is claustrophobic, and it's her who I feel so terribly sorry for - and I can't do a thing. I also daren't open my mouth for fear of causing an upset.

Give her our love, buddy.. 

21 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

corona.JPG.f2b9d8319ed2f1da9ef85a5518757a41.JPG

This is a map of the Gütersloh local government district and the number of recorded cases for each municipality within the district. You can see quite clearly where the factory is located and where the people who work there live.

Total cases 1696
Active cases 990
Recovered 685
Deaths 21

Absolutely striking - and it shows how inadequate using the R number is at a national level when the outbreaks are local.

26 minutes ago, Eddie said:

That's a tricky situation to be in, not wanting to upset someone who's done so right by you so far, even when you know it's causing her harm, mentally at least.

Would she not even consider going shopping together, with you driving and staying with the car while she masked up, even a small local shop with you taking handgel and all other precautions?

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Well of course that is going to be an individual decision for you both. 

Me and the wife have only been going shopping very spasmodically and have had click and collect or home deliveries from ASDA.

We both went to Park Farm Allestree today and used face coverings where necessary.

The shops are very good regarding letting one in one out type policy so as not to overcrowd them  and have hand sanitisers  and cleaning policies etc  

Obviously it’s an individual decision and a confidence issue. 

To be honest the more you do it the better it feels but like I say it’s a totally individual thing so all the best with it when you eventually do it  .

I think your wife is right to be concerned but at the end of the day at some time the time will be right for you both .

There is no rush .

9 hours ago, Curtains said:

Well of course that is going to be an individual decision for you both. 

Me and the wife have only been going shopping very spasmodically and have had click and collect or home deliveries from ASDA.

We both went to Park Farm Allestree today and used face coverings where necessary.

The shops are very good regarding letting one in one out type policy so as not to overcrowd them  and have hand sanitisers  and cleaning policies etc  

Obviously it’s an individual decision and a confidence issue. 

To be honest the more you do it the better it feels but like I say it’s a totally individual thing so all the best with it when you eventually do it  .

I think your wife is right to be concerned but at the end of the day at some time the time will be right for you both .

There is no rush .

Park Farm has been our shopping saviour over the past few weeks.  Probably only ever been there 3 times previously, in 57 years, but have been on 4 of the last 5 Fridays. 
Free parking.  Organised and respectful queues.  Easy to keep your distance/never busy.  One in/one out, or certainly limited entries.  All socially distancing (inside the shops, and in the outside queues).  Most have sanitising stations, plus I noticed last week they now have a "purpose built" sanitiser dispenser out in the centre ("Street furniture" type thing... looked like it was foot pedal controlled?).

Toilets are open too, I believe, but haven't been desperate enough to try them yet!

Post Office is the main target for us, (Muckerette's mini-business) but with the added bonus of Wilko's and Savers for household and toiletries etc.  A decent size "smaller" Co-Op, and Fruit & veg shop.  That does us, but theirs a few others open, including a butchers and Birds.  I noticed the Thorntons/card shop opened last week.  I know many have gone without birthday cards just lately!

Other than Sussex Circus PO on a Tuesday, our Friday trips to Allestree are the only "chore trips" Muckerette is doing (plus the occasional leisure hike/bike ride).  She hasn't done a proper full food/necessities/supermarket run since March (I do the main shop at Aldi/Morrisons... once every three weeks, now!) 

Park Farm has just about managed to keep her sane!  ?

Sith Happens
11 hours ago, Eddie said:

I am shielding like you, although I have not been as strict, I have taken a walk or bike ride that I know I will be able to keep good distances from other people. I haven't stepped foot in a shop since March and no plans to any time soon though.

I think I have done maybe 20 miles tops in my car since and thats going to get essential blood tests done.

In fairness I have had work to keep me occupied though and have an assurance, provided I don't get made redundant that I won't have to return to the office until at least the beginning of October.

Its the others that worries me if i go out, my walks/bike rides I have done where and when I am certain I can maintain a safe distance, shopping, well there are that many idiots about I think I will leave them to it.

Personally I will take my own precautions whatever the "rules" say. Much as I like eating out and visiting pubs, I will not go there for the foreseeable future, likewise Cinemas, Theatres, Pride Park etc. Shopping will be when numbers are likely to be lower (whilst hoping the supermarkets keep up the oldies hours).

I will not join queues for Apple, Nike, Primark, Ikea, TKMaxx (Not that I ever did!) and if you get too close to me I will say something.

14 hours ago, Eddie said:

You're not missing much ,went into Derby on Saturday lot's of shops that could be open still closed .Monsoon gone ,looks like Office shoes gone etc. High street retail was in trouble pre Covid 19 looks like anyone without an internet arm is in for a tough time .

I have to say though the regional shopping centres are really busy looks like folks are avoiding city centres ,From what I've seen you have less contact in the centres , Notts city centre much busier than Derby also.

34 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

You're not missing much ,went into Derby on Saturday lot's of shops that could be open still closed .Monsoon gone ,looks like Office shoes gone etc. High street retail was in trouble pre Covid 19 looks like anyone without an internet arm is in for a tough time .

I have to say though the regional shopping centres are really busy looks like folks are avoiding city centres ,From what I've seen you have less contact in the centres , Notts city centre much busier than Derby also.

Guns R Us still open then, I guess.

Not sure how many pubs will be opening on the 4th as they can only open with online table service. Not sure how easy it will be for independent pubs to implement, also with the cost as well. 

Also everyone going to the pub will need to leave contact details to help with the NHS track and trace.

Archived