Coronavirus

1of4

35 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Trump is insane. Why not include us when we have more cases than some of the European countries banned? You really hope he's not making these decisions himself without following independent advice.

He doesn't want to hamper the feasability study Johnson wants to do on a bridge across the atlantic.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Maybe it's partly Schengen related?

9 other European countries have more cases than the UK. 17 European countries have a higher number of cases in relation to their population - Switzerland, Denmark, Norway and Italy are all at least 10 times as many cases in relation to their population than us.

There is some logic in that but, people can still travel into the UK and fly to the US? Or is it passport related too?

So an Italian who has been in the UK for months couldn't travel but a British person who has just got back from Lombardy could?

Did anyone see in Trump's speech that cargo would be not be allowed in either, then went on Twitter after to say the opposite, presumably when someone asked him what the hell he was on about? Total moron. Even Johnson looks statesman like when compared to the orange freak.

All those people who constantly moan about Dianne Abbot's woeful maths must be absolutely appalled at this latest gaffe!

1 minute ago, ariotofmyown said:

There is some logic in that but, people can still travel into the UK and fly to the US? Or is it passport related too?

So an Italian who has been in the UK for months couldn't travel but a British person who has just got back from Lombardy could?

Did anyone see in Trump's speech that cargo would be not be allowed in either, then went on Twitter after to say the opposite, presumably when someone asked him what the hell he was on about? Total moron. Even Johnson looks statesman like when compared to the orange freak.

All those people who constantly moan about Dianne Abbot's woeful maths must be absolutely appalled at this latest gaffe!

I was wondering that too than stumbled across the BBC...

"US border officials will be able to ask people for their original point of travel and if you’re connecting via the UK from a Schengen country then your airline ticket will show that.

However, if someone has travelled on the Eurostar from France or with an airline from any Schengen country and then days later catches a flight to the US from Britain, then it’s possible that might not be picked up by US officials as passports are not stamped.

But I certainly wouldn't do it. Anyone who has travelled past US border officials will know that would be a risk and US officials could ask to see your bank records for details of your previous travel."

15 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

sadly it doesn't seem to matter.  I wonder what level of mistake that he can make that would actually have an impact.  Same for Boris really, they seem to made of asbestos

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

"US border officials will be able to ask people for their original point of travel and if you’re connecting via the UK from a Schengen country then your airline ticket will show that.

However, if someone has travelled on the Eurostar from France or with an airline from any Schengen country and then days later catches a flight to the US from Britain, then it’s possible that might not be picked up by US officials as passports are not stamped.

But I certainly wouldn't do it. Anyone who has travelled past US border officials will know that would be a risk and US officials could ask to see your bank records for details of your previous travel."

I cross the frontier Spain/Gib everyday.  There is a big sign that says you must report yourself to the border guards if you have visited one of a number of named countries recently.  They are never going to know unless you come down with the virus and are unfortunate enough to be hospitalized in the country where you have failed to disclose.  Given the cost of health care in US such an event would result in significant financial penalties or worse.  Might as well die I suppose.  Best not to risk it

28 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Cargo will be affected sad to say. The simple truth is that no passengers, no flights, no cargo. 

Don't know all the facts yet on the US ban but on arrival into the UK there is still a border check. I would imagine that's it is not too difficult to see from a database where you have travelled from the in the last 14 days. Everyone is pre-manifested and the US authorities will just block you ability to get on the plane or refuse you entry on arrival. The carriers will be all over that as they have to get you back should you be refused entry.

Went to Cheltenham yesterday the train was very quiet ,no queues for the buses to the racecourse  plenty of hand wash stations  about .With only one exception [dirty barsteward] people spent a fair time washing their hands in the toilet. Fingers crossed we get away with it .

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I can imagine him locking foreigners up if suspected of having Coronavirus. Death penalty even if they can show it lead to other people dying, especially if the accused doesn't fit the right profile.

On a similar note, I'm supposed to be going to Dubai next week!

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Trump is insane. Why not include us when we have more cases than some of the European countries banned? You really hope he's not making these decisions himself without following independent advice.

It's because Britain is also in the process of closing its borders with Europe, albeit not quite so drastically, and he needs us as a useful repository for his exports of chlorinated chicken and hormone- treated beef that will make America great again.

Blooming experts...

“It is uncertain what the US intends to achieve with the recently announced travel ban to the Schengen area of Europe. Many of us have been pointing out since the COVID-19 epidemic began that travel bans have a poor record on preventing the spread of epidemic diseases. At best travel bans only delay the spread of an epidemic by a short while.

The paper published on the 6th March in Science by Chinazzi and colleagues from the US, China and Italy provided further evidence of this opinion and showed that the travel ban in China only delayed the spread internally by 3 to 5 days. Chinazzi also showed that international travel bans are only modestly effective at controlling international spread for a while.

“Introducing an international travel ban at a time when the US is now one of the countries with the most rapidly accelerating internal transmission rates will do little if anything to reduce the burden of infection within the US.”

9 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Blooming experts...

“It is uncertain what the US intends to achieve with the recently announced travel ban to the Schengen area of Europe. Many of us have been pointing out since the COVID-19 epidemic began that travel bans have a poor record on preventing the spread of epidemic diseases. At best travel bans only delay the spread of an epidemic by a short while.

The paper published on the 6th March in Science by Chinazzi and colleagues from the US, China and Italy provided further evidence of this opinion and showed that the travel ban in China only delayed the spread internally by 3 to 5 days. Chinazzi also showed that international travel bans are only modestly effective at controlling international spread for a while.

“Introducing an international travel ban at a time when the US is now one of the countries with the most rapidly accelerating internal transmission rates will do little if anything to reduce the burden of infection within the US.”

The measures are to help protect the economy. Same as when ours are announced today. 

Except those of us who work in areas at high risk already know most measures are pointless. 

2 minutes ago, Norman said:

The measures are to help protect the economy. Same as when ours are announced today. 

Except those of us who work in areas at high risk already know most measures are pointless. 

If only we had been a bit more cautious when treating our largest trading partner as an enemy and regularly bringing up 2nd world war references to fire up the angry public.

You need your friends even more in times of crisis. I'm worried Trump is gonna end up as our only ally.

13 hours ago, Norman said:

I was on an all day sesh in Camden yesterday. Never saw a mask on transport at all. 

The general view is that masks, certainly the basic ones that are widely available, are not effective. Even the British Lung Foundation are not advising wearing them.

1 minute ago, ariotofmyown said:

If only we had been a bit more cautious when treating our largest trading partner as an enemy and regularly bringing up 2nd world war references to fire up the angry public.

You need your friends even more in times of crisis. I'm worried Trump is gonna end up as our only ally.

What are you on about? 

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

The general view is that masks, certainly the basic ones that are widely available, are not effective. Even the British Lung Foundation are not advising wearing them.

I've been told an hour tops. 

Archived