Coronavirus

1of4

1 hour ago, Van Gritters said:

Me too. The only other countries that buck the trends are China, Russia, Iran. Surely the percentage of deaths to infections will be more or less the same unless they have a wonder drug or are treating people differently. The only other possibility is testing, identifying and the isolation but surely they will have passed it to people before hand.

Although Bojo recovered after being given Oxygen at what sounds to be quite early on. Maybe other people in his position would have been instructed to stay at home until it was too late?

So maybe The Germans did that? I don’t see how more testing helps apart from the fact you could stop potential spreaders by telling them to stay at home?

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Is it a case of relaxing the rules or is it simply Trump covering his large backside by giving the individual states enough rope to hang themselves? They let people go back to work or go to the beach and then have a spike in infections and deaths and he can sit back and lay all the blame at their feet. He’s more than happy to sacrifice a few thousand thick yanks if it helps him get re-elected.....

Isn't it the case that the states opening for business are basically MAGAland?

12 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Although Bojo recovered after being given Oxygen at what sounds to be quite early on. Maybe other people in his position would have been instructed to stay at home until it was too late?

So maybe The Germans did that? I don’t see how more testing helps apart from the fact you could stop potential spreaders by telling them to stay at home?

Yes but Germany have had as many if not more confirmed cases. The oxygen thing may be something to look into.

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Isn't it the case that the states opening for business are basically MAGAland?

Trump’s new Ad encouraging the poor and uneducated that it is time to risk their wellbeing to get the economy moving again.  Go get them shakes America.

party trump GIF

4 hours ago, rammieib said:

I’m with @G STAR RAM - I’m really curious why German deaths are lower.

Similar population size.

I hear more testing - so what....

I hear more ICU beds... we haven’t been over capacity.

So what was different?

I wonder if it’s earlier hospitalisation and given oxygen earlier?

I wonder if it’s less exposure to the virus due to testing and isolation? (I’ve read theories that if you are only partially exposed to it then you stand a better chance of not getting it as badly)

I don’t know what their age demographics are nor their backgrounds and if this has helped them?

Either way I am actually curious.

I am most afraid Herr @rammieib that it is not you who is asking ze questions.... 

Sorry. I know. 

4 hours ago, rammieib said:

I’m with @G STAR RAM - I’m really curious why German deaths are lower.

The UK has a population of 65 million. As I understand it, 60% of the population needs to have been exposed to the virus in order for herd immunity to be achieved, which means that at least 40 million need to have had it.

At the last count, 120, 067 have officially tested positive, which corresponds to 0.002% of the population, so there is still plenty of time left for the rest to be infected. That is a very tiny sample of the population, and much too small for any reliable conclusions to be drawn. The differences between the mortality rates in different countries would be expected to decline and start to even out as the sample size increases (as gradually as possible of course) and the quality of the data gets better.

26 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

The UK has a population of 65 million. As I understand it, 60% of the population needs to have been exposed to the virus in order for herd immunity to be achieved, which means that at least 40 million need to have had it.

At the last count, 120, 067 have officially tested positive, which corresponds to 0.002% of the population, so there is still plenty of time left for the rest to be infected. That is a very tiny sample of the population, and much too small for any reliable conclusions to be drawn. The differences between the mortality rates in different countries would be expected to decline and start to even out as the sample size increases (as gradually as possible of course) and the quality of the data gets better.

But as you say, the 120,067 is only the number of people that have been tested. We simply have no idea what the true figure is. There will be some that will either had no symptoms or symptoms so mild that they didn’t realise it was the virus. There will also be those that have told to self isolate because they have the symptoms but not serious enough to be hospitalised. 

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

Is it a case of relaxing the rules or is it simply Trump covering his large backside by giving the individual states enough rope to hang themselves? They let people go back to work or go to the beach and then have a spike in infections and deaths and he can sit back and lay all the blame at their feet. He’s more than happy to sacrifice a few thousand thick yanks if it helps him get re-elected.....

I thought I’d heard somewhere that Trump doesn’t have the power to lift or extend the lockdown, it’s already legally up to individual states.

Is anybody still listening to these daily updates.. 10 mins of thank yous from a government talking head, then ridiculous gotcha questions from some twit of a journalist.. Seriously, not watched for a week or so but today’s was exactly the same as the last one I watched.. 

What pisses off most is the stupidity of the questions.. I think we all know that getting PPE is proving difficult and there is a massive shortage.. Why do I need some twit from C4 asking a question we already know the answer to.. 

5 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Is anybody still listening to these daily updates.. 10 mins of thank yous from a government talking head, then ridiculous gotcha questions from some twit of a journalist.. Seriously, not watched for a week or so but today’s was exactly the same as the last one I watched.. 

What pisses off most is the stupidity of the questions.. I think we all know that getting PPE is proving difficult and there is a massive shortage.. Why do I need some twit from C4 asking a question we already know the answer to.. 

I’m done watching after today ,, somebody different every other day saying as little as poss and reporters asking the same questions over and over again which they know won’t be answered 

31 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

But as you say, the 120,067 is only the number of people that have been tested. We simply have no idea what the true figure is. There will be some that will either had no symptoms or symptoms so mild that they didn’t realise it was the virus. There will also be those that have told to self isolate because they have the symptoms but not serious enough to be hospitalised. 

As you say, the true rate of infection is definitely undercounted and we don't know by how much. Nevertheless, it must still be far fewer than 10% of the population.

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

Thought it was widely reported that he was not given oxygen neither by mask or ventilator?

just checked and reports say oxygen given

22 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

I stopped watching and avoiding much of the news as possible once the ''journalists'' began to think they are running the country. Imagine being so poo at your job that some teenager in a shed can uncover CCP  Kung Flu cover ups in half a day and your'e just peddling BS and hearsay. 

36 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I thought I’d heard somewhere that Trump doesn’t have the power to lift or extend the lockdown, it’s already legally up to individual states.

I think technically it is - but they all followed his lead when he said they should go into lockdown. Now he’s encouraging them to start easing the restrictions..... and there are reports that the Florida beaches were packed as soon as they re-opened.

35 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

I stopped watching and avoiding much of the news as possible once the ''journalists'' began to think they are running the country. Imagine being so poo at your job that some teenager in a shed can uncover CCP  Kung Flu cover ups in half a day and your'e just peddling BS and hearsay. 

You do know that our esteemed leaders Johnson and Gove were journalists right. And Johnson got sacked from the Times for making up parts of a story.

The journos asking the questions know that they could be in the cabinet after the next election, so you can't blame them for trying to raise their own profile. Get a couple of zingers in, be mildy funny on HIGNFY and you're all set.

Archived