Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I assume this is why masks are single use only.

Wear it, it could become infected by others, but as long as you remove it correctly, dispose of it then wash your hands you should be fine.

Put in a plastic bag, then re use it, and the virus could be all over it when you come to use it again.

We reuse ours, as none are available to buy.  Spray them with spirits after use and leave on the radiator for at least 24 hours.  If reports are true of virus life of less than 12 hours on most surfaces, the masks are safe to use again.

That being said, i sneezed 4 times while writing this

11 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

I’ll tell you what. Go educate yourself with what the WHO are saying because they are the experts that all countries are acting upon. 
I sat through their press conference yesterday. I’ll listen to them, some of the ‘experts’ on this forum are laughable. 

Not sure they are smelling of roses

A nice little timeline of the WHOs reaction/involvement to the outbreak:-

4 January: Notes the outbreak on social media for the first time, referring to it as a "cluster of pneumonia cases"

5 January: Publishes first outbreak news, with "no evidence of significant human-to-human transmission"

10 January: Publishes first travel advice, with "no international restrictions recommended"

14 January: WHO's technical lead for the response says there may have been limited human-to-human transmission

20-21 January: WHO regional experts "conduct a brief field visit to Wuhan"

22 January: Field visit statement"suggests that human-to-human transmission is taking place in Wuhan"

22-23 January: WHO emergency committee fails to reach consensus on "whether the outbreak constituted a public health emergency of international concern"

24 January: Second travel advice published, which notes upcoming Chinese New Year but "advises against the application of any restrictions of international traffic"

27 January: Third travel advice published, which advises "measures to limit the risk of exportation...without unnecessary restrictions of international traffic"

28 January: Senior WHO delegation led by the director general meets Chinese leadership in Beijing

30 January: Emergency committee reconvenes and declares public health emergency of international concern

Nearly a whole month between becoming aware of the outbreak and declaring an emergency.

3 minutes ago, Norman said:

So the new Nightingale hospital had 19 patients all Easter weekend, despite a 4000 capacity. 

The reason? Our ability to double ICU in our current hospitals. 

Yeah but that's good news, nobody wants to read that!

The EU could probably triple their capacity, and China built a full hospital in 2 weeks. Stick that in your happy pipe and smoke it.

10 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Wow, talk about optimism.

I hope you're right but very much doubt it. My daughter is a pharmacologist and my brother in law is a research chemist working at Canterbury University who has been co-opted onto a project trying to develop a vaccine. Both reckon there will be nothing available this year. Even with a drug being fast tracked (it normally takes years from concept to release) there has to be a period of testing for longer term side effects.

I'm sure the pharmaceutical companies (obviously they're capitalist - they're there to make a profit) will be racing to be the first to get something out there that they can then patent. 

Complete optimism, zero based factual knowledge to back it up.

With so many companies working on it, one of them will strike lucky.

I don’t think the first vaccines to market will be 100% effective but will be ‘good enough’ to create the herd immunity.

I think the desire to get back to normality will require something to get to market quickly.

Plus I want to stay hopeful and take comments such as the Cambridge professor a few days ago in a positive manner.

14 hours ago, Eddie said:

No, it was a matter of competence. We laud our brave prime minister, but this is the utter moron who spent a fortnight going around hospitals looking for every hand-shaking photo-opportunity he could - and then he got sick.

Not sure what you're disagreeing with, there. I said it was stupid.

6 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

Trump is trying to deflect blame from himself. 

Of course he is, but the WHO also isn't looking very good in the circumstances.

The difference of course was the WHO was making a lousy response to the initial outbreak. By the time Trump was doing nothing throughout February, it was a global pandemic. It was clear that this disease was rampaging throughout the world and the US didn't react. Now they are dying in large numbers, and are nowhere near the peak.

19 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Complete optimism, zero based factual knowledge to back it up.

With so many companies working on it, one of them will strike lucky.

I don’t think the first vaccines to market will be 100% effective but will be ‘good enough’ to create the herd immunity.

I think the desire to get back to normality will require something to get to market quickly.

Plus I want to stay hopeful and take comments such as the Cambridge professor a few days ago in a positive manner.

I’m loathed to burst your optimism, heck we all need some hope to cling to but, even when one of the pharmaceutical companies does strike it lucky, not only do they need to do extensive tests to make sure it has a reasonable success rate they then need to monitor to make sure there are no adverse side effects (for as long a period as possible). There is no point immunising large numbers only to find the vaccine itself could be harmful. Even when they’re as sure as they can be that it’s safe they then need to scale up production pretty damn quickly and we’ve all heard about the problems getting testing kits.

I think, also not based on any scientific or medical knowledge - purely based on general knowledge and what my relatives have said, I think they will be doing extremely well to have something ready for large scale distribution before the middle of next winter. Under normal circumstances it takes something like ten years for a new drug to reach the market and the vast majority never actually make it. That’s why pharmaceuticals have to spend so much on R&D, patent the products and charge so much. They need to make sufficient profit to not only satisfy their share holders but also to provide funding to develop their next wonder drug.

11 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Having read that, my layman's interpretation of the risk for thrombophiliacs(sic) is no higher than for any other hospital admission. 

People with undiagnosed clotting conditions will always be at greater risk, simply due to the lying around/lack of mobility you'd expect in a hospital bed. That's why the fitting of stockings, for example, has become the norm during any period of bed rest in hospital, diagnosed at risk or not.

I didn't see anything in the article that suggested otherwise, and people with underlying pre existing but diagnosed conditions are hopefully at no more risk than anyone else.

I've had 2 sisiters pass away due to a thrombosis, One sister had Crohns disease, Went into hospital for a blood transfusion, A blood clot somehow found it's way into her heart and calked the heart and died within seconds age 39, 2nd sister liked a drink or 2 prone to falling over after a session, Taken to hospital after a fall and she also passed away age 55, Both had autopsies, The male side were advised to see the Doctor for blood tests, All 3 of us were cleared, The remaing sister failed hers, She is now on Warfarin for the rest of her life.

23 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Of course he is, but the WHO also isn't looking very good in the circumstances.

The difference of course was the WHO was making a lousy response to the initial outbreak. By the time Trump was doing nothing throughout February, it was a global pandemic. It was clear that this disease was rampaging throughout the world and the US didn't react. Now they are dying in large numbers, and are nowhere near the peak.

The fact they have the world's 3rd largest population may have some impact on that. When you take that population in to account, they're still behind countries such as Ireland and Sweden - two countries which have been praised over the past couple of days for keeping their death count so low. Combine Italy, Spain, France, UK, Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands and you'll have a population roughly equal to that of the USA, yet those European countries have 3 times as many confirmed deaths so far

15 minutes ago, TramRam said:

I've had 2 sisiters pass away due to a thrombosis, One sister had Crohns disease, Went into hospital for a blood transfusion, A blood clot somehow found it's way into her heart and calked the heart and died within seconds age 39, 2nd sister liked a drink or 2 prone to falling over after a session, Taken to hospital after a fall and she also passed away age 55, Both had autopsies, The male side were advised to see the Doctor for blood tests, All 3 of us were cleared, The remaing sister failed hers, She is now on Warfarin for the rest of her life.

Me too.  Warfarin is not a bad drug if you have to be on something for life.  As testing for this type of deficiency  is not routine the true number of people dying from clotting disorder is likely to be far greater than it should be.  It is more than likely that this genetic oddity is only discovered post mortem.  I am gUessing they tested for protein c deficiency?  Sorry to hear about your sisters.

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The fact they have the world's 3rd largest population may have some impact on that. When you take that population in to account, they're still behind countries such as Ireland and Sweden - two countries which have been praised over the past couple of days for keeping their death count so low. Combine Italy, Spain, France, UK, Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands and you'll have a population roughly equal to that of the USA, yet those European countries have 3 times as many confirmed deaths so far

Yes. I know that there's some talk that NY is approaching the peak, but I feel that the US is a couple of weeks behind the UK (just basing it on the time the reported explosion of cases was reported) so I'm bracing for their death figures to grow significantly.

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

Me too.  Warfarin is not a bad drug if you have to be on something for life.  As testing for this type of deficiency  is not routine the true number of people dying from clotting disorder is likely to be far greater than it should be.  It is more than likely that this genetic oddity is only discovered post mortem.  I am gUessing they tested for protein c deficiency?  Sorry to hear about your sisters.

Me anorl. 

I self test, then email the results through, get my dosage back the same morning.

There is an alternative which requires no dosing or testing, but it's not suitable for everyone.

Archived