George Thorne Tribute

Ram8

George Thorne .. just saying the name brings back so many conflicting emotions, but primarily the polar opposite ones of his (oh so brief) glorious ‘presence’ in the Derby team alongside (but unfortunately rarely all at the same time) fellow midfielders Will Hughes, Jeff Hendrick and Craig Bryson; and the downside of the horrendous injury that effectively ended his Derby career against Ipswich Town in the final match of the 2015/16 season, prior to the play-offs. 

In that tragically short ‘window’ we experienced a player of such rare talent, unexpected I suppose as we suspected that his exit from West Bromwich Albion came courtesy of their belief that his was not a talent that would blossom beyond that of a bit part player in their own future trajectory. In fact I can remember feeling somewhat underwhelmed by the signing, hoping for a ‘big name’ player to boost our promotion chances. Who was George Thorne ? 

But what a revelation, what a stellar talent, and why had no Premiership club installed him in their midfield by that time ? Ok, so we’ll take it, integrate him into our midfield, which already contained the strong running Jeff Hendrick, the human dynamo Craig Bryson, and the already prodigiously talented Will Hughes. He slotted in seamlessly as our defensive midfield ‘shield’, but immediately offered so much more, in effect being two players in one. The effortless tackles to break up opposition play in front of our back four, the resultant  forward movement with the ball tied to his feet, taking him languidly past the hapless opposition midfield into ‘enemy territory’ to release our centre forward or winger. 

But his ‘trademark’ move, and the one that we will all probably remember him by, was (often without even apparently lifting his head) the crunching tackle or the perceptive intervention followed without pause or hesitation, from just outside our own penalty area, by the long ‘’straight as an arrow’ on the floor pass, slicing open the opposing team’s defence in an instant. The most effective and devastating long ball tactic in football, and so very rarely seen. Tom Huddlestone is the master of the looped ball out of defence over the opposing full backs to our wingers, but George Thorne could execute the most sublime ground level 80 yard pass that nine times out of ten would split the opposition midfield and defence like the parting of the Red Sea. 

I was born in 1941 and was lucky enough to see the great Manchester United team of the mid 1950s, the Busby Babes, eight of whom died as a result of the Munich air crash, one of them being the great Duncan Edwards, then only 21 years of age, after playing 151 times for United and winning 18 caps for England. It was predicted that he would become England’s greatest ever player. 

I mention him because I saw in George Thorne the self same qualities that Edwards possessed; the same powerful physique, the ability to move seamlessly from the tackle to the raking pass or the unstoppable forward run, brushing off opponents with almost arrogant disdain as he ran. And I am convinced that George Thorne, if remaining free from injury, would by now be England’s first choice defensive midfielder, but tragically instead is Derby County’s most high profile ‘might have been truly great’ player.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Ram8 said:

George Thorne .. just saying the name brings back so many conflicting emotions, but primarily the polar opposite ones of his (oh so brief) glorious ‘presence’ in the Derby team alongside (but unfortunately rarely all at the same time) fellow midfielders Will Hughes, Jeff Hendrick and Craig Bryson; and the downside of the horrendous injury that effectively ended his Derby career against Ipswich Town in the final match of the 2015/16 season, prior to the play-offs. 

In that tragically short ‘window’ we experienced a player of such rare talent, unexpected I suppose as we suspected that his exit from West Bromwich Albion came courtesy of their belief that his was not a talent that would blossom beyond that of a bit part player in their own future trajectory. In fact I can remember feeling somewhat underwhelmed by the signing, hoping for a ‘big name’ player to boost our promotion chances. Who was George Thorne ? 

But what a revelation, what a stellar talent, and why had no Premiership club installed him in their midfield by that time ? Ok, so we’ll take it, integrate him into our midfield, which already contained the strong running Jeff Hendrick, the human dynamo Craig Bryson, and the already prodigiously talented Will Hughes. He slotted in seamlessly as our defensive midfield ‘shield’, but immediately offered so much more, in effect being two players in one. The effortless tackles to break up opposition play in front of our back four, the resultant  forward movement with the ball tied to his feet, taking him languidly past the hapless opposition midfield into ‘enemy territory’ to release our centre forward or winger. 

But his ‘trademark’ move, and the one that we will all probably remember him by, was (often without even apparently lifting his head) the crunching tackle or the perceptive intervention followed without pause or hesitation, from just outside our own penalty area, by the long ‘’straight as an arrow’ on the floor pass, slicing open the opposing team’s defence in an instant. The most effective and devastating long ball tactic in football, and so very rarely seen. Tom Huddlestone is the master of the looped ball out of defence over the opposing full backs to our wingers, but George Thorne could execute the most sublime ground level 80 yard pass that nine times out of ten would split the opposition midfield and defence like the parting of the Red Sea. 

I was born in 1941 and was lucky enough to see the great Manchester United team of the mid 1950s, the Busby Babes, eight of whom died as a result of the Munich air crash, one of them being the great Duncan Edwards, then only 21 years of age, after playing 151 times for United and winning 18 caps for England. It was predicted that he would become England’s greatest ever player. 

I mention him because I saw in George Thorne the self same qualities that Edwards possessed; the same powerful physique, the ability to move seamlessly from the tackle to the raking pass or the unstoppable forward run, brushing off opponents with almost arrogant disdain as he ran. And I am convinced that George Thorne, if remaining free from injury, would by now be England’s first choice defensive midfielder, but tragically instead is Derby County’s most high profile ‘might have been truly great’ player.

He was a top championship player before injuries no doubt but not sure you can compare him to great players like Duncan Edwards.

In that initial loan spell, Thorne was absolutely untouchable. Literally the best I’ve ever seen from a Derby player in my lifetime. He seemed to have no weakness. Just an unbelievably talented footballer. He really should have gone on to become not only the best CDM in the division, but one of the best in the division above as well. A great shame that injuries have stopped him from becoming the player he should have done. The leg break in particular looks to have ruined him. Let’s just hope he can get his career back on track at a lower Level, but it really is devastating that he didn’t go on to become the Derby hero that he should have done.

7 hours ago, derbydaz22 said:

He was a top championship player before injuries no doubt but not sure you can compare him to great players like Duncan Edwards.

Meh, Clough was adamant McFarland was England’s best centre-half when he was signed from the fourth division, McFarland just had the opportunity to prove it 

I was one of those in the South Stand who started the "Sign him up, sign him up, sign him uu....uuuuppp!!" chant after his debut against the Trees. He could have played for England, and had the potential to be captain.

So sad to see him go, and it was a privilege to have seen him at his best.

Thanks,George. Best wishes.

GT put in some good performances for the Rams, but not enough games played to judge potential greatness. Plagued by injuries and I predicted a while back that George would end up dropping down a few divisions. Sorry to be correct on that, but I hope it all works out moving forward. 

7 hours ago, cannable said:

Meh, Clough was adamant McFarland was England’s best centre-half when he was signed from the fourth division, McFarland just had the opportunity to prove it 

I worked around the Baseball Ground and regularly saw Roy hobbling around on crutches trying to recover from injuries.

He somehow had the capacity to recover fully and played a full part in the Rams' success.

Maybe players were more determined back in '73.

Maybe they had a different approach to injuries and recovery time!

4 hours ago, CocuCrazyCocuMad said:

Really not getting all the love for Thorne. Good player but that's about it. Doesn't warrant all this talk.

All this talk is simply the misty eyes speaking about what might have been!

Aaaahhhhh. If only ..............................

George was at the beginning of a career and showed wonderful promise, the adaptability and range of skills that great players need.

definitely a premier league class player; Duncan Edwards I am not so sure, but apart from the passing, those bursting runs from DM to AM were special too. 

i was chin wagging with the guy who sits next to me and we both reflected on the need for a commanding midfielder of the Frank Lampard  / Bryan Robson type who at the right moment can charge through the middle of the park and knock down the skittles .. it was heartening on Friday to see Bogle do that on at least 3 occasions .. it needs a mix of attitude, skill and desire. George had those attributes. 

I really hope he gets the luck of the drawer and the bounce at Oxford and has a chance of reaching some highs before he hangs up his boots. He will always get a cheer at PP whoever he is playing for. Class 

6 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Shame. George looked like he got done a bit for the Newcastle winner. Bit too slow to get set to block.

TBH he looked like an old man from the moment he came on.

Can still pass but running looks a real effort.

Sad.

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

TBH he looked like an old man from the moment he came on.

Can still pass but running looks a real effort.

Sad.

Totally agree, he looked like when you used to go watch a testimonial and they bring on some star who retired five years ago for a ten minute cameo. Then he went and pinged that pass cross field and you thought, yup he really was quite good. I'm not some sort of massive fanboy about him, but I do feel sorry that these things happen. Worse going on in the world, if he manages to hang on at that level then great but still - shame.

Archived