Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

35 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Sorry, I'm not trying to single you out, but I see this repeated so often that it's become a bit of a cliche.

If technical ability & intelligence was the only thing that mattered then good players would never retire. You'd have Glenn Hoddle commanding the Spurs' midfield at the age of 62, what does it matter that he had a heart attack in 2018? His footballing brain's still there!

Martin hasn't 'suddenly' deteorated because he's in his 30's, no, he has slowly deteriorated due to both age illness though - despite this he's still a very capable Championship footballer but he becomes a lot less effective the more he plays and any contract handed to him has to represent the fact that you can no longer play him week in, week out over a 46 game season and expect him to keep the standard of play up.

Just because a player's game has never relied on pace it, it doesn't mean they can do all of their work within a 10 yard diameter of their starting position and still be as effective as they were earlier in their career. There are some exceptions which prove the rule of course, like the way Paul McGrath played when we had him, but that was in 1996 and the physical side of the game is even more demanding now than it was back then.

It’s more when the player’s game, at their peak, is based on ability and intelligence. 

He never ran when he was in his mid twenties. His entire game was about ball to feet. 

He doesn’t have to adapt as he ages, like Rooney is having to do. 

Pirlo didn’t have to adapt and possibly even peaked in his thirties because his whole game was just floating in front of the back four and spraying passes. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What Cocu you mean?

Do you not trust Cocu Roy? If he genuinely wanted him to stay he'd be here so CM wasn't happy with something , whether playing time, length of contract etc but he chose to not sign, his choice!!  can we not move on?...CM is not the be all and end all of DCFC ....he served us well but wish him good luck and look forward.....you never know we might get someone you like.....it seems like an unhealthy infatuation at times .....Charlie George was my hero when he was here as was Alan Biley , Paul Goddard,Dean Saunders and Marco but players come players go....maybe time to let it go 

I love this new 'top posters' feature that allows us to see who posts the most in any given thread. Clearly I knew @RoyMac5 would top the charts for this thread. I'd have been really disappointed if he hadn't to be fair. Have to say though that the silver and bronze medal slots are a bit of a surprise.

Just move on guys ??‍♀️

just saying.PNG

Just now, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I love this new 'top posters' feature that allows us to see who posts the most in any given thread. Clearly I knew @RoyMac5 would top the charts for this thread. I'd have been really disappointed if he hadn't to be fair. Have to say though that the silver and bronze medal slots are a bit of a surprise.

Just move on guys ??‍♀️

just saying.PNG

Embarrased GIF by memecandy

55 minutes ago, cannable said:

It’s more when the player’s game, at their peak, is based on ability and intelligence. 

He never ran when he was in his mid twenties. His entire game was about ball to feet. 

He doesn’t have to adapt as he ages, like Rooney is having to do. 

Pirlo didn’t have to adapt and possibly even peaked in his thirties because his whole game was just floating in front of the back four and spraying passes. 

There are hundreds, thousands of top players who's game, at its peak, was based on ability & intelligence. Only a handful (or two) of them ever carried on playing at the same level into their mid to late 30s or beyond, and those who did started off on a higher level than Martin has played at.

You're comparing Pirlo, widely considered one of the best players ever to grace a football pitch, to Chris Martin. Much as I love CM9, that's just daft. If nothing else the level of player around Pirlo was much, much higher and it helped to cover the weaknesses in his own game. We don't have that luxury.

Every player has to adapt as they get older, every single one. Some just have to do it more noticably than others. If Pirlo didn't have to adapt why isn't he still playing now like Buffon, he's only 41! ? Did he just got bored of being one of the best players in the world?

Back to Martin, if you want ball to feet then you need to create space for yourself and make it easier for your teammates to find you without there being a defender up your backside at all times. Martin found this space more easily and more often back in 2013/14 than he did in 2019/2020 - it might be an almost imperceptible change, but it has definitely happened.

His 'wardrobing' was great back then, but he didn't need to do it so often, and its success rate was higher. The older he gets the harder those defenders will be to hold off, and there'll be an ever-increasing pay-off between strength, movement & pace.

Similarly last season by carefully managing his gametime we kept him effective and productive, by using him more sparingly we got more out of him than we'd have had had he started and completed every game.

56 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

If he signs for someone else, but until then for all we know they are still negotiating, Cocu wanted him to sign!

I'd like him to come back but let's be honest - few of us (if any) know that talks are ongoing. Just wishful thinking by some.

1 hour ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

Thanks mate the numbers on wiki and transfermarkt sort of didn't sit with my memory of it.

However i m getting old and senile and with Covid my stats brain is being fried on that 16 hours a day at present.

Why is he tainted i know about the "racist" comment but i only count the ones whilst in employ at DCFC? ?

No problems, I looked Transfermarkt and Wiki and there were inconsistencies.  Wiki had Eranio on a list of significant players for Derby with 108 appearances while on his personal page it only listed 95 league appearances.  Transfermarkt listed 95 league appearance and the single FA Cup appearance you referenced.  As you'd said over four years that seemed a bit weird.  So I went on 11v11 to resolve.

I'm afraid his comments on Swiss TV do qualify him as 'tainted' in my book.  He's the Italian Ramage in that regard.

10 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

I'd like him to come back but let's be honest - few of us (if any) know that talks are ongoing. Just wishful thinking by some.

I think we've got to just move on now. He's had some great moments here but, as with Keogh, he's failed at Derby. We're still in the championship. Great player, loved watching him in a Derby shirt but it's time to move on now.

3 hours ago, David said:

This “attitude” of not agreeing you you? 

Some of us can appreciate what he did for us whilst being excited as to what the future may hold, not pining after days gone by.

And 51% of the poll agreed it was time to move on.

Find it interesting that he’s not found a new club yet, IF he is still as good as some of you think, he wouldn’t have been a free agent for long. 

Or maybe his agent has been flooded with offers from Barca, Real, PSG and taking his time to weigh up his next destination.

Well,actually I was thinking more in terms of having little grace but take it as you will.

Sith Happens
48 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

image.png.e981339b7e260f5479acab30e280a3f7.png 

no wonder Chris had problems staying on his feet with a head that big, must cause all sorts of issues with his balance 

Archived