Mike Te Wierik - Signed pre contract, joining in the summer

Kyle guest

3 hours ago, inter politics said:

Has anyone seen him play before?

3 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

No, not even Cocu, but who cares? 

2 hours ago, Philspen said:

Pretty sure cocu would of seen this guy play from when he was at PSV as this lad was at dutch team for years.

33 minutes ago, nogbad van 50 said:

Now you know he will have seen him when he was the manager of PSV !??

Some guy's at the door with a spanner in his hand. Says he's here to fix your sarcasm radars ?

giphy.gif

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone wants to track his progression, it's really easy to find Eredivisie games online in their entirety in high definition. I watched the first half of the game against Ajax, which they won 2-1, to see what kind of player and team Groningen are. It was a very useful insight. 

You can see why Groningen don't concede many goals; I'd love to say it's all down to the magic of #4 but the truth is that their entire team is full of animals. They have a explosive players all over the pitch, by explosive I mean athletic competitors who don't make it easy for the other team - more so than the much more talented Ajax side who were leagues ahead in technical ability but were still disrupted by Gronigens battle ready approach. A player on loan from Swansea, Joel Asoro, was the full embodiment of that - tireless worker, who would compete for every loss cause and caused no end of problems for the Ajax backline. 

On to Mike Te Wierik, in half a game it's incredibly difficult to see what we could potentially get. Nevertheless, I just wanted to see what he was like physically to see if we were going to get another Albentosa or not. It was pleasing to see that not be the case. He's not a head-and-kick type of defender, he avoids going man-for-man and reads the game well that he's able to jump ahead of the striker - he made a lot more interceptions than he did clearances, i.e. he's more incline to get ahead of his man than he is to stand behind him. It's an aggressive approach and Groningen play a high line to achieve it. He's no slouch, either. He's not Tomori in terms of pace but he's certainly an athletic player and doesn't mind running shoulder to shoulder with players who are renowned for being quick. He stands up extremely well in that regard. He's definitely what I would describe as a ball playing centre half, he's very much the Keogh of Groningen's team and would be tasked with the one to bring it out. In this game his CB partner would more likely put it down the wings whereas Te Wierik would look to play it into feet at every opportunity. He's very composed on the ball, but his decision making is very quick. He doesn't take too many touches - I think the Groningen manager can take some credit for that because they were very well drilled when playing out from the back, plenty of options and everyone seemed to know their next pass. The cons, although I didn't see many in the 45 minutes I saw, I did think that his reaction to danger at times was a little delayed - there was a couple of times, he would jog when he should be running and it culminated in him having to sprint. It could also be down to his partner, but it seemed like they would stray from each other and the gap between them would be too big, it could be down to a number of reasons in fairness, perhaps even tactically they wanted a wide back line - just not often seen. 

The other Groningen players that caught my eye, although both not in exactly problem positions - Daniel Van Kaam (CDM/CM) and Dayovaisio Zeefuik (RB). Van Kaam was their stand out for technical ability in a team that is built on athleticism. He is neat and tidy with the ball and moved the ball up the pitch. He's only made a handful of appearances for them, but he looked to have a lot of ability. Zeefuik is a player that would I imagine would quickly become a favourite - he's extremely fast, he's an outstanding competitor and he's very good on the ball. He signed for next to nothing from Ajax, bizarrely, despite being first choice for the Holland U21 side - I'd imagine he has a huge sell on fee, but he'd be a great option should Bogle leave. 

As for Ajax, they had a 17 year old that I would imagine will soon become an extremely well known player - Ryan Gravenberch - from what I can gather it was his worst performance for Ajax since breaking through, but you could tell he just had it. Outstanding.

20 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

As for Ajax, they had a 17 year old that I would imagine will soon become an extremely well known player - Ryan Gravenberch - from what I can gather it was his worst performance for Ajax since breaking through, but you could tell he just had it. Outstanding.

Gravenberch is quality, isn’t he!

I tell you now he will be one of the best midfielders itw this time in a couple of years...

Archived