Squad for next season (2020/21)

Stuniverse

5 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Personally think since he has had an enforced return at left back he has put in the best performances on left back this season of anyone. Certainly would look to retain him.

But then you have to think that we already have Lowe, Malone and Buchanan before we start thinking about retaining Fozzy 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cannable said:

But then you have to think that we already have Lowe, Malone and Buchanan before we start thinking about retaining Fozzy 

Yeah I know.....Try and move Malone on I think.

On 30/01/2020 at 01:48, Stuniverse said:

By my calculations, here are the 19 senior squad players currently contracted beyond the summer:

GK: Roos, Mitchell

Def: Bogle, Wisdom, Davies, Lowe, Malone

Mid: Shinnie, Bielik, Evans, Holmes, Knight, Bird

Att: Waghorn, Lawrence, Marriott, Rooney, Jozefzoon, Whittaker

Plus the first-year scholars: Aghatise, Bardell, Cybulski, Grewal-Pollard, Jinkinson, Matthews, Nto, Perez De Gracia, Rogers, Solomon, Thompson.

Bennett In talks to extend his contract according to Derbyshire Live.

Rooney won't be contracted.

He's about to power us to promotion via the playoffs and then duck off and take the Man U job.

5 hours ago, jake0603 said:

Squad next season 

gk: Roos, new gk

defenders: bogle, wisdom, te wierik, Davies, New cb, Lowe, forsyth (1 year deal)

midfielders: bielik, bird, Evans, Shinnie, knight, Holmes, Rooney, sibley

wingers: Lawrence, Whittaker, 2 new ones, Mitchell-Lawson 

strikers: Martin(1 year deal), Marriott, Waghorn, new

outs: 

hamer (unless he can be got cheap)

clarke - try to sign on a perm 

huddz - big contract, lots of other cdms 

malone - useless, get rid 

Carson, Anya, Bennett - out of contract 

Josefzoon - waste of space 

Good assessment. I can't see both Evans and Shinnie remaining. Too many midfielders. If Lawrence stays I can't see us getting more than one winger. Strikers, I can't see us getting someone in unless someone leaves. Lots more opportunities will be taken by academy/U23 players. If Lawrence stays I'd imagine Bennett might too. 

Priorities, new keeper, new wide man, new centre back - 3 in, possibly 11 out.

Could see the 21 year old strikers Hepburn-Murphy and Hector-Ingram stepping up to first team squad from the U-23 as we move towards an all hyphenated attack. Maybe even Festy Ebosele and Buchanan in defence, though Buchanan just adds to the crowd of possible left backs behind Lowe (Forsyth/Malone etc). if Bogle was sold, could see Festy being second choice behind Wisdom. 

Thorne off the books at the end of the year too - and a crowd of young goalkeepers that need a decision - is Ravas good enough to stay and be with the first team ? As well as decisions needed on a couple of the old hands from the U-23s..(Wassell/Babos) 

I'd see:

New Gk - Roos, Ravas

--

Bogle, Ebosole

Lowe, Buchanan

Te Wierik, Davies

Wisdom, Evans (new CB)

--

Bielik, Bird, Rooney 

Knight, Holmes, Sibley, Shinnie

--- 

Lawrence, Whittaker, Hepburn-Murphy, Mitchell-Lawson, new wide player

Waghorn, Marriott, Hector-Ingram, 

---

departing

Martin, Forsyth, Huddlestone (purely on wage grounds) 

Hamer, Clarke (loans going home) 

Anya, Josefzoon, Mitchell, Thorne, Malone, Carson, Bennett 

On 09/02/2020 at 16:45, singaporeram said:

departing

Martin, Forsyth, Huddlestone (purely on wage grounds) 

Hamer, Clarke (loans going home) 

Anya, Josefzoon, Mitchell, Thorne, Malone, Carson, Bennett 

We have released so many players that it would be interesting to know what the revised wage is.
On the basis that big savings have been made maybe fozzy and Chris Martin will get another year. Both deserve it. 
i wouldn’t be surprised if shonibare and maybe even Archie brown break into the first team squad in addition to those you have mentioned.

On 09/02/2020 at 08:37, Burton_Ram said:

A bit of summer continuity will certainly help for next season, giving the manager a chance to assess and make changes.
I can’t recall many seasons recently where we haven’t had a managerial change in the summer. 

Only snakey since 2014 was in place over a summer....and he joined during the previous spring so had only had a few weeks in advance of the summer. 

On 09/02/2020 at 15:52, Uptherams said:

Good assessment. I can't see both Evans and Shinnie remaining. Too many midfielders. If Lawrence stays I can't see us getting more than one winger. Strikers, I can't see us getting someone in unless someone leaves. Lots more opportunities will be taken by academy/U23 players. If Lawrence stays I'd imagine Bennett might too. 

Why would Bennett stay if Lawrence does?

On 06/02/2020 at 19:17, Ghost of Clough said:

As things stand...

GK: Roos, Carson, Mitchell, Ravas
RB: Bogle, Wisdom 
CB: Te Wierik, Davies 
LB: Lowe, Malone, Buchanan
DM: Bielik, Bird, Evans
CM: Holmes, Rooney, Shinnie, Knight, Sibley
RW: Waghorn, Whittaker
LW: Lawrence, Jozefzoon
CF: Marriott

That's not a dreadful base for a squad by any stretch of the imagination

I have a lot of love for him but I don't see Fozzy getting a new deal when we have so many other LBs - He's been a little better in a couple of games than Malone this season - But I'd still rather Lowe as first choice and don't see the point in having 2/3 cover LBs - And historically I'd suggest Fozzy has given away more goals than Malone!

Still need a solid first choice keeper assuming Carson isn't actually ours beyond this season?

A couple of people have speculated on trying Evans at CB again - Could happen but I want to see another CB added anyway

Sibley still has work to do (imo) to be considered fully part of the first team - He's in the 'young backup' category for me still (as in each position we should have 2 options and a young backup) - Whittaker the same

FloJo has done nothing to indicate stepping up again this season - Cocu has made it pretty clear the youngsters are ahead of him in the pecking order - I expect to see him gone in the summer

So - New Keeper, new CB, a couple of wingers (maybe loans) and a new contract for Martin please

GK: Roos, NEW, Mitchell, Ravas
RB: Bogle, Wisdom 
CB: Te Wierik, Davies, NEW
LB: Lowe, Malone, Buchanan
DM: Bielik, Bird, Evans
CM: Holmes, Rooney, Shinnie, Knight, Sibley
RW: Waghorn, Whittaker, LOAN
LW: Lawrence, LOAN
CF: Marriott, MARTIN

On 09/02/2020 at 08:37, Burton_Ram said:

A bit of summer continuity will certainly help for next season, giving the manager a chance to assess and make changes.
I can’t recall many seasons recently where we haven’t had a managerial change in the summer. 

THIS

I think the absolute very best bit of business we can do over the summer is retaining Cocu - I think we're starting to show some shoots of being able to play how he wants us to - Think it's very telling that in that recent interview Holmes said that they're getting close to the way they want to be playing - I've said from the start he obviously has a style and way of wanting to play (regardless of formation) that was gonna take time to build and I think we're finally starting to see it

Finish the season in the top half and then work on things even more over the summer

@cheron85

I could potentially see us keeping Forsyth on for another year as a backup player - emergency CB and 3rd choice LB. But, that would only be if Buchanan is loaned out. Given Lowe and Malone will undoubtedly be 1st and 2nd choice (unless sold), that wouldn't give Buchanan many opportunities, so a loan looks like the best option for him.

On 09/02/2020 at 11:15, U.M. said:

Can anyone confirm this ?  I have seen several mentions of a contract extension signed during Lampards time.

Not seen anything official that I can remember.

On 09/02/2020 at 11:58, jake0603 said:

According to transfermarkt he is out of contract in the summer. 
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/scott-carson/profil/spieler/14555

Archived