Is Marriott overrated.

Curtains

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He doesn’t suit the way we play in my opinion. I don’t think he’s over rated, he’s just not in the right place. 
his goal against Leeds will ensure he’s always a favourite of mine but in years to come that will be all he’s remembered for here in my opinion. 

Just now, Bazal77 said:

He doesn’t suit the way we play in my opinion. I don’t think he’s over rated, he’s just not in the right place. 
his goal against Leeds will ensure he’s always a favourite of mine but in years to come that will be all he’s remembered for here in my opinion. 

I’ve seen some great strikers at Derby from Charlie George to Alan Biley and to Dean Saunders and Kevin Hector.etc etc

Marriott has the attributes but needs to back it up . 

12 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Goals against Leeds. 

What else has he done. 

PS I want the lad to succeed at Derby 

Goal to take use to penalties vs Man Utd in the League Cup
Goal to draw 1-1 vs QPR away
Goal and assist Shef Utd home to win 2-1
Goal and assist in the 4-1 win away to West Brom
Goal in the 3-2 cup loss vs Chelsea
Goal in the 3-1 win at home to Birmingham
Goal and assist in the 2-1 away win to Sheff Weds
Goal away at Wigan to win 1-0
Goal away to Norwich  to win 4-3
Goal to draw at home to Boro 1-1
Goal to draw 2-2 with Southampton in the FA Cup
An assist in the late win vs QPR at home
2 goals to beat Leeds in the playoffs
Goal in the playoff final vs Villa
Goal in the 2-1 loss to Bristol at home
Assist in the 3-2 win vs Birmingham at home
Assist in the 1-1 draw vs Sheff Weds at home
Assist in the 1-1 draw at Wigan
Goal in the 2-1 win vs Barnsely at home

2 minutes ago, Squid said:

I don't know if I'm taking this the wrong way but whats the problem with this post?

If players such as Tom Lawrence are allowed to be critisised, so should Jack Marriott, he's done naff all this season.

Just looking forward to another day of a Curtains thread spiraling out of control and the amount of work I do decreasing. Nowt to do with Marriott.

17 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Has been great in cup and play offs games but very poor in league games - work that out 

He's much more effective when teams come at us, as he's got space in behind to make runs etc.  Most teams in the league try to stop us playing, so sit deep and spoil etc, Marriott gets isolated with no service and no space.  Playoffs by definition are against the better teams, and the better teams are more likely to come at us, so Marriott is more effective.

In general, I think Marriott is a type of player that is very hard to use effectively in modern football.  He can't really play up front on his own, but you can't afford to just play 2 central midfielders, as almost everyone else is playing 3 and you get over-run.  So you maybe play 2 up front and try have a central midfielder playing out wide (like Jason Knight has been) tucking in, or you play a 433 with someone like Waghorn as a sort of winger drifting in to support Marriott, but you're unbalanced down that side.  Or you play a 442 diamond, but that leaves your fullbacks exposed.  Or you play Marriott up front alone and have a midfielder pushed as far forward as possible to support him, but then you're maybe light in midfield.

Whatever you do, you'll have to break something else in your team to get Marriott in there.  If he' s scoring most weeks it might be worth it.  If he's getting 2 in 15 (or whatever it is this season), he's a liability.

12 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

He's much more effective when teams come at us, as he's got space in behind to make runs etc.  Most teams in the league try to stop us playing, so sit deep and spoil etc, Marriott gets isolated with no service and no space.  Playoffs by definition are against the better teams, and the better teams are more likely to come at us, so Marriott is more effective.

In general, I think Marriott is a type of player that is very hard to use effectively in modern football.  He can't really play up front on his own, but you can't afford to just play 2 central midfielders, as almost everyone else is playing 3 and you get over-run.  So you maybe play 2 up front and try have a central midfielder playing out wide (like Jason Knight has been) tucking in, or you play a 433 with someone like Waghorn as a sort of winger drifting in to support Marriott, but you're unbalanced down that side.  Or you play a 442 diamond, but that leaves your fullbacks exposed.  Or you play Marriott up front alone and have a midfielder pushed as far forward as possible to support him, but then you're maybe light in midfield.

Whatever you do, you'll have to break something else in your team to get Marriott in there.  If he' s scoring most weeks it might be worth it.  If he's getting 2 in 15 (or whatever it is this season), he's a liability.

Basically he needs 442 with midfielders who do the full package - oh and we need to bin the defensive midfielder thing which we have employed lots of

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Very disappointed not to see more of Marriott playing - he's miles better than Waghorn - and in a system that suits him. Why wouldn't you play to the strengths of a prolific goal-scorer?

Would you  play Martin and Marriott together. 

10 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Basically he needs 442 with midfielders who do the full package - oh and we need to bin the defensive midfielder thing which we have employed lots of

So we get rid of Bielik, Evans, Huddlestone and Bird.  If you're playing a flat 442, then you need proper wingers, so Lawrence, Josefzoon and Bennett can go too.  You're going to struggle to get really attacking midfielders into a flat 442, so Rooney, Holmes and Sibley can go too.  The entire academy are playing some variant of 3 in the middle, playing out from the back, so most of the midfielders can go from there too.  And we need to probably sign at least 8 new players (4 central midfielders, 4 wingers).  So once we've done all of that, we can finally get a striker that's scored less than 1 in 5 in his Derby career into the team?  Sounds like a great plan.

Always fight his corner but needs a consistent run in the team. Aside from missing a handful of chances vs Barnsley, his ability to stretch games is so valuable for us and in this league. He pulls defenders around and out of position. 

If used for his main attributes he can be deadly. Needs the service and creativity behind him. 

I maintain if we did let him go he'd go and score a hat-full elsewhere. 

Archived