Is Marriott overrated.

Curtains

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the answer is - 'we don't really know'. 

I think we all agree on how best he's deployed but he hasn't really had that chance on a consistent basis for a number of reasons.

He looks the part and grafts - just needs to be played in the right system with the right partner over a period of time to see if he's any good. 

For me, Martin, Wags and Marriott are at a similar level but are all completely different players. For me, only Martin has really been played to his strengths and did well but has been dropped for some reason.

The jury is out on Marriott but guess the big picture is if he's part of Cocu's plans or not.

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Responding to a tweet questioning Marriott's fitness, MacAnthony added: No Tom, players built on pace need runs of games.

"Not playing then out, then in games later imo.

"He played 45 league games in 1 season for us no bother. Anyhow im sure when he plays again, it'll be a proper run. Good luck."

He doesn't work hard enough, and I can't quite work out why people criticise Martin for this but can't bring themselves to criticise Marriott for not working for the team.

He expects everything on a plate for him, and everything has to be perfect for him to get anything. The problem is, even when its perfectly set up for him, its anyone's guess whether he's going to fancy this game or not, and as he proved against Barnsley at home, he has the potential to be quite wasteful. (Side note, that's about the shape of every top striker to come out of Peterborough for the last 10 years. Says something about how they set up to make their forwards into stars to sell them for big money).

So we've got a striker that if he fancies it that day, and all the team are built around him, and he happens to have brought his shooting boots that day, can score goals. That's not enough.

I actually felt for him a bit against Barnsley because he worked very hard and not everything was perfect for him, yet through work rate he got himself into some good positions and won some good balls, managed to bag himself a goal, and all people could talk about after the game was how many clear cut chances he missed. That game should have been a positive for him and he came out the other side a less confident player.

6 hours ago, Tombo said:

He doesn't work hard enough, and I can't quite work out why people criticise Martin for this but can't bring themselves to criticise Marriott for not working for the team.

He expects everything on a plate for him, and everything has to be perfect for him to get anything. The problem is, even when its perfectly set up for him, its anyone's guess whether he's going to fancy this game or not, and as he proved against Barnsley at home, he has the potential to be quite wasteful. (Side note, that's about the shape of every top striker to come out of Peterborough for the last 10 years. Says something about how they set up to make their forwards into stars to sell them for big money).

So we've got a striker that if he fancies it that day, and all the team are built around him, and he happens to have brought his shooting boots that day, can score goals. That's not enough.

I actually felt for him a bit against Barnsley because he worked very hard and not everything was perfect for him, yet through work rate he got himself into some good positions and won some good balls, managed to bag himself a goal, and all people could talk about after the game was how many clear cut chances he missed. That game should have been a positive for him and he came out the other side a less confident player.

I was there last night and I watched him closely and I said in another thread that he needs to do much more movement because their centre half’s never moved around because Marriott didn’t and there’s was a lot of opportunity to do so 

I like him but he doesn’t turn up enough, whether that’s through form or injury!

It’s quite clear we can’t rely on him to give us a run of ten games. And that’s before the having to compensate in other areas to include him debate

The odd thing is we’ve played one up top for a large chunk of the last decade yet no manager has gone out and bought a striker that can play that lone strike role well. The closest we have is Martin who has the craft, but can’t do the dirty work required in that role in this division!

19 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

I like him but he doesn’t turn up enough, whether that’s through form or injury!

It’s quite clear we can’t rely on him to give us a run of ten games. And that’s before the having to compensate in other areas to include him debate

The odd thing is we’ve played one up top for a large chunk of the last decade yet no manager has gone out and bought a striker that can play that lone strike role well. The closest we have is Martin who has the craft, but can’t do the dirty work required in that role in this division!

It incredibly difficult to find a player who can hold the ball up and put in the work rate at this level. Everyone wants that type of striker in every division in England. Every striker in this division will have some deficiencies. Nugent put in the work rate but couldn’t hit a barn door. Nakhi Well has got an eye for goal but doesn’t have the physicality. Steve Howard had an eye for goal and held it up brilliantly, but he had no pace what so ever. 

Cocu will obviously have a type of striker he wants, and it’s clear Marriott isn’t what’s required in a 4-3-3.

4 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

It incredibly difficult to find a player who can hold the ball up and put in the work rate at this level. Everyone wants that type of striker in every division in England. Every striker in this division will have some deficiencies. Nugent put in the work rate but couldn’t hit a barn door. Nakhi Well has got an eye for goal but doesn’t have the physicality. Steve Howard had an eye for goal and held it up brilliantly, but he had no pace what so ever. 

Cocu will obviously have a type of striker he wants, and it’s clear Marriott isn’t what’s required in a 4-3-3.

Very true - we all see the likes of Aguero Sanchez and Suarez who all run around like mad dogs and work the defenders ridiculously and score the required high percentage of chances which tends to affect our thinking of that’s what we need but they are rare and it seems they are from South America and want to play every single minute in every single game which is why they have been so successful in their careers - whilst not actually costing that much money for what they gave ( let’s ignore the stupid man united late deal for Sanchez) 

marriott doesn’t do the work in a season that they do in one month but they are best of that type

Archived