Is Marriott overrated.

Curtains

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Would you  play Martin and Marriott together. 

Possibly.  But as others have said, it upsets other areas of the team.  In other threads I posited if 3-5-2 is a way to go, seeing as we don't have any decent wingers, and our width comes from the fullbacks.  Something this would be about the best compromise for all departments.

------------------------Hamer

---------Wisdom----Davis-----Clark

Bogle--------------------------------------Lowe

--------Huddlestone/Knight----Bird/Shinnie

-----------------------Rooney

---------Waghorn/Martin------Marriott

I’ve said it before, he definitely is. Just like players who make a mistake in a big game (Keogh, Roos) end up being over-criticised for the rest of their time here as a result of the mistake, players who have a special moment in a big game (Bryson, Marriott) tend to be Overrated for the rest of their time here as a result. They seem to be able to get away with far more poor performances and still be bizarrely seen as the saviour. Marriott for me is a pretty poor player at this level. Don’t get me wrong, he’s not awful, and he does certainly have positives in terms of his ability as a poacher when he’s on the end of through balls. But it’s not enough for me. His general play isn’t good enough - he can’t hold a ball up, he doesn’t get involved enough in general play dropping deep, and his finishing is actually quite poor when you look up the stats. 

For me he isn’t good enough. He’s a low end championship quality player, and not good enough for a team gunning for promotion. We need better, and I actually think the plan was to get better this window. I’m certain we wanted Billy Sharp before the investment fell through, and gut feeling tells me we wanted to shift Marriott and replace him with Sharp. With the investment delay I don’t think we now have the funds to do so this window, as we have to focus on the bigger priorities.

8 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

What makes you at half 10 on a Tuesday morning decide to make a thread slagging off Marriott, nearly 3 weeks since he's last played for us? ?

Pretty sure there's a random Derby County related word generator that gets used to create the topics ? 

25 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

So we get rid of Bielik, Evans, Huddlestone and Bird.  If you're playing a flat 442, then you need proper wingers, so Lawrence, Josefzoon and Bennett can go too.  You're going to struggle to get really attacking midfielders into a flat 442, so Rooney, Holmes and Sibley can go too.  The entire academy are playing some variant of 3 in the middle, playing out from the back, so most of the midfielders can go from there too.  And we need to probably sign at least 8 new players (4 central midfielders, 4 wingers).  So once we've done all of that, we can finally get a striker that's scored less than 1 in 5 in his Derby career into the team?  Sounds like a great plan.

Rather disingenuous to a lot of our players there

20 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Possibly.  But as others have said, it upsets other areas of the team.  In other threads I posited if 3-5-2 is a way to go, seeing as we don't have any decent wingers, and our width comes from the fullbacks.  Something this would be about the best compromise for all departments.

------------------------Hamer

---------Wisdom----Davis-----Clark

Bogle--------------------------------------Lowe

--------Huddlestone/Knight----Bird/Shinnie

-----------------------Rooney

---------Waghorn/Martin------Marriott

That’s pretty much the best of it currently 

11 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I’ve said it before, he definitely is. Just like players who make a mistake in a big game (Keogh, Roos) end up being over-criticised for the rest of their time here as a result of the mistake, players who have a special moment in a big game (Bryson, Marriott) tend to be Overrated for the rest of their time here as a result. They seem to be able to get away with far more poor performances and still be bizarrely seen as the saviour. Marriott for me is a pretty poor player at this level. Don’t get me wrong, he’s not awful, and he does certainly have positives in terms of his ability as a poacher when he’s on the end of through balls. But it’s not enough for me. His general play isn’t good enough - he can’t hold a ball up, he doesn’t get involved enough in general play dropping deep, and his finishing is actually quite poor when you look up the stats. 

For me he isn’t good enough. He’s a low end championship quality player, and not good enough for a team gunning for promotion. We need better, and I actually think the plan was to get better this window. I’m certain we wanted Billy Sharp before the investment fell through, and gut feeling tells me we wanted to shift Marriott and replace him with Sharp. With the investment delay I don’t think we now have the funds to do so this window, as we have to focus on the bigger priorities.

That’s a load of codswollop 

easily good enough but has proved not fit enough - the ball is in his court on that one 

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

That’s pretty much the best of it currently 

That’s a load of codswollop 

easily good enough but has proved not fit enough - the ball is in his court on that one 

Really? Is he? He’s not fit enough either which is a problem, but it’s difficult for us to tell whether that’s his fault or pure bad luck. But I don’t think even when fit he’s shown himself to be good enough as an all round striker.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Really? Is he? He’s not fit enough either which is a problem, but it’s difficult for us to tell whether that’s his fault or pure bad luck. But I don’t think even when fit he’s shown himself to be good enough as an all round striker.

If he was fit enough he would be starting every game which he hasn’t been and doesn’t look likely to be and I do think that’s all down to himself and his own effort and professionalism but that’s based on what I see - if the penny drops he could do very well but if the penny dropped a long time ago in his mind ultimately he is toast and he has missed a massive opportunity 

Archived