Is Marriott overrated.

Curtains

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not surprised that he hasn't hit the heights under Cocu and I'm 100% certain he won't either.

You only need to check when he has scored. Percentage wise he seems to enjoy the games against bigger teams or teams which prefers to have the possession. Guy is suited to a counter attacking play and would do better as a Vardy's back up than with our style.

I'd look for a buyer and get more suitable striker in.

Fitness is his biggest problem. Yet this season, when he has played, he has got himself in the right places but has missed plenty of chances. He is massively out of form and if he can't stay fit, be very difficult to get back in form. Could easily have had a hatrick against Barnsley. A striker can't keep missing chances and still be seen as a saviour.

Marriott does offer the movement behind but very little back to goal. Martin is the opposite. Waghorn can do a bit of both yet is probably the worst finisher. If Martin and Marriott were both fully fit then I suspect we would have seen a lot of more of them.

10 hours ago, Squid said:

I don't know if I'm taking this the wrong way but whats the problem with this post?

If players such as Tom Lawrence are allowed to be critisised, so should Jack Marriott, he's done naff all this season.

Naff all? we hadn't won in 7, he gets brought back and we win back to back games (for the first time since Cocu became manager).  He gets assists in  two games before those (Sheff Wed and Wigan), when coming on as sub and changing the game in both.  Between 19/10/19 until the Middlesbrough 2-2 (away) on 11/1/20, we have only managed to score more than 1 goal in a game 3 times.  Marriott started all of those games.  Factually, we create more chances per game when he plays as he can run the line.

He has had injuries and has struggled to have a sustained run in the side. To say he has done naff all, is naive to say the least.

Marriott is decent enough as a striker and scores some important goals and gets himself into good positions. However, his injuries look to me like he is struggling to make the step up physically from league 1 to championship. Its a big step up too in terms of physical intensity, training, match fitness levels required. He breaks down with some niggle or other every other week. 

If a player cannot get into an average team that struggles to score goals, then I would say they are not that good. It could be due to fitness or ability - either way, if he is deficient in either one then he is not good enough. 

In terms of it being the teams fault or style of play, then I would say that Waghorn gets an ok return and half of his games are played out wide. 

He needs to get into the team regularly and then score some goals to prove that he is good enough. Until then, he isn't. As he hasn't proved himself at Championship level before, then saying otherwise is probably wishful thinking. 

I like the lad ..but think there is something amiss with him ..excuse the pun ..the Marriott of last season would have had a hatrick v Barnsley first half instead of just the 1 ...  rumours are he does have a bad attitude that started  with Lampard last season   after his 2 goals v the dirties ..he was annoyed to find himself on the bench at Wembley 

11 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Goal to take use to penalties vs Man Utd in the League Cup
Goal to draw 1-1 vs QPR away
Goal and assist Shef Utd home to win 2-1
Goal and assist in the 4-1 win away to West Brom
Goal in the 3-2 cup loss vs Chelsea
Goal in the 3-1 win at home to Birmingham
Goal and assist in the 2-1 away win to Sheff Weds
Goal away at Wigan to win 1-0
Goal away to Norwich  to win 4-3
Goal to draw at home to Boro 1-1
Goal to draw 2-2 with Southampton in the FA Cup
An assist in the late win vs QPR at home
2 goals to beat Leeds in the playoffs
Goal in the playoff final vs Villa
Goal in the 2-1 loss to Bristol at home
Assist in the 3-2 win vs Birmingham at home
Assist in the 1-1 draw vs Sheff Weds at home
Assist in the 1-1 draw at Wigan
Goal in the 2-1 win vs Barnsely at home

Looking at list of goals and assists, a big slice of them came against teams in the premier league or top half teams in the championship. We just need him to be fit and get a good run in the team.

1 hour ago, neil62uk said:

I like the lad ..but think there is something amiss with him ..excuse the pun ..the Marriott of last season would have had a hatrick v Barnsley first half instead of just the 1 ...  rumours are he does have a bad attitude that started  with Lampard last season   after his 2 goals v the dirties ..he was annoyed to find himself on the bench at Wembley 

I would have been annoyed being on the bench at Wembley after the performance against Leeds. Honestly though I think, keep him fit give him a run in the team and once he scores this will breed confidence in scoring regular.

If he’s been unbelievably  wasteful , I’m assuming you mean he’s had chances then which you were early questioning ?

Forest sticks out as does Barnsley but can’t think of any other incredible wasteful chances. 
Rooney linked up well with him when we played Barnsley , give him chances he’ll start firing . 
Certainly not a poor player in this division in my opinion .

1 hour ago, plymouthram said:

I would have been annoyed being on the bench at Wembley after the performance against Leeds. Honestly though I think, keep him fit give him a run in the team and once he scores this will breed confidence in scoring regular.

Yes couldn't agree more  in my first post pertaining Marriott  I did say there is somthing amiss  " whatever it is only he and the club know .. hope he starts Friday 

He's a high level Championship footballer, in my opinion. He has the ability to go to the next level too, comfortably, although reading between the lines - both by Lampard & Cocu - that he's just not committed enough to push himself which is a shame. Frustrating. 

This season we've really lacked a creative spark, so Marriott's game has been more about half chances than chances. He should've scored a hatful in his last start, but was clearly rusty from the inconsistent game time. Injuries, well niggles, are unfortunately common with him. 

Marriott, if sold to a team like Leeds, would be the cherry on the cake for them. I think in our team, with the lack of creative invention in the final third, he's become a sparsely used luxury. Rooney's arrival does offer renewed optimism that Marriott can link up well. It certainly helped against Barnsley. 

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

He's a high level Championship footballer, in my opinion. He has the ability to go to the next level too, comfortably, although reading between the lines - both by Lampard & Cocu - that he's just not committed enough to push himself which is a shame. Frustrating. 

This season we've really lacked a creative spark, so Marriott's game has been more about half chances than chances. He should've scored a hatful in his last start, but was clearly rusty from the inconsistent game time. Injuries, well niggles, are unfortunately common with him. 

Marriott, if sold to a team like Leeds, would be the cherry on the cake for them. I think in our team, with the lack of creative invention in the final third, he's become a sparsely used luxury. Rooney's arrival does offer renewed optimism that Marriott can link up well. It certainly helped against Barnsley. 

I think you have noted the key facts - he has not progressed as hoped on joining from a lower league under two Derby managers.

Another bit-part player and occasional success like so many we have signed since Mac 1 was sacked. (Who took that decision?)

7 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Unfortunately it was half a game at Leeds prior to Wembley ( damm good half a game) so it was very difficult for any manager to start him in that game at Wembley because his fitness has been so unreliable 

Archived