EFL charge Derby over ffp

alexxxxx

11 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Yes, but I can't see how it will stand up.

We know from the Fan Forums that Mel was looking at ways to find loopholes in the various FFP laws. He obviously ran the Stadium sale one by the EFL who said "that's fine if you get an independent valuation so we know the value isn't artiificially inflated"

Independent valuer says £80m. Mel checks that's ok with the EFL. They say yes. Deal is done and Mel cuts his cloth accordingly.

What has to be considered is that the valuation is really of no odds to Mel, It was just a figure that allowed them to plan. The guy is worth half a billion, so a few tens of a million is neither here nor there. If the independent valuer had said £40m - we'd have just gone with it and worked the rest of the FFP balance out from there.

It's surely impossible to try and enforce a financial fairness policy if you can retrospectively move the goalposts. If the EFL had disputed the valuation at the time then none of this would be happening

I knew we would agree on something one day.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I don't know how it all works tbh

I know my car has an estimated value with my insurance company but nothing stops me selling it for much more? 

But then I don't have to comply with the EFL. I'm kind of like QPR innit

Yeah that’s the old saying, anything only worth what someone’s willing to pay for it! Things become a little more complicated though when that person buying is the same as the person selling. To be honest I don’t really know how it works in those sort of cases either, need an accountant on here to explain it to us. Personally I think our valuation seems more than fair for a football stadium. But the EFL must think they have a strong chance of winning to go ahead with charging us you’d think.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah. They set the rules and I imagine they interpret them, so ... how did we get here Mel?

A running theme on the thread of unlikely people agreeing with each other ?

Regarding our valuation...Location Location Location.

Pride Park is one of the most successful and sought after retail/industrial estates in the Midlands, if you flattened the stadium you've still got some hot land to sell at a premium price.

Aston is a dive. Riverside is a dive.

Regarding the EFL committee...Bamfords

20 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Yes, but I can't see how it will stand up.

We know from the Fan Forums that Mel was looking at ways to find loopholes in the various FFP laws. He obviously ran the Stadium sale one by the EFL who said "that's fine if you get an independent valuation so we know the value isn't artiificially inflated"

Independent valuer says £80m. Mel checks that's ok with the EFL. They say yes. Deal is done and Mel cuts his cloth accordingly.

What has to be considered is that the valuation is really of no odds to Mel, It was just a figure that allowed them to plan. The guy is worth half a billion, so a few tens of a million is neither here nor there. If the independent valuer had said £40m - we'd have just gone with it and worked the rest of the FFP balance out from there.

It's surely impossible to try and enforce a financial fairness policy if you can retrospectively move the goalposts. If the EFL had disputed the valuation at the time then none of this would be happening

Essentially, if the EFL go down this route, I can see Mel/DCFC responding by seeking damages caused by the EFL advising them previously that everything was fine.

It'd be messy but hilarious if the EFL fie us and deuck points which they then have to make good because they themselves are culpable.

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Ducks sake. This could spell absolute disaster. Points deduction, transfer ban. No ones gonna wanna invest in this mess, and I wouldn’t blame Cocu for quitting either. 

Clubs being run like an absolute circus by Mel and the board. Who on earth is in charge of the finances? We’ve not even made much of a transfer loss the last few years, so how on earth is this even possible?! Where the hell is the money going?! Total utter incompetency. Ever since Mel took over we’ve only gone backwards. He’s taking us the ground with a total lack of organisation. Unsuitable managers, appalling recruitment team... it was only heading one way. To something like this. It’s totally unacceptable. We look a total laughing stock. I refuse to watch our club get run to ruin by fools who couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery.

Board out!!!

No disaster. Stops us buying a load of overpriced second rate nobodies in the transfer window, giving the young guns time to develop. In the meantime the lawyers make the efl and Gibson look clowns because it was all approved by the efl before it went through and next season we smash it! 

That Kieran Maguire chap (Price of Football) reckons without the stadium sale our 3 year loss for P&S/FFP purposes was £53m.

By my maths, in order to keep within the rules we'd have had to have sold the stadium for at least £55m.

According to John Percy, the EFL value of the stadium is £50m.

Putting these pieces together means that in a worse case scenario of being found guilty we'd have only breached the rules by £5m max.

Hardly a major breach and more likely to result in a fine or transfer ban than a points deduction.

1 minute ago, Shipley Ram said:

Badly advised by by the FL who said the deal was ok before changing their mind.

I think all clubs who've previously been told it's OK by the league then charged retrospectively are going to have teams of lawyers putting together suits based on being told they were OK to act as they did by the league.

I might just become a sports governance lawyer for a few months. Hourly rate *frightening*

Archived