EFL charge Derby over ffp

alexxxxx

1 minute ago, cosmic said:

I actually genuinely love the idea of just spending a ridiculous amount of money in January and clearly breaking all FFP rules. poo or bust!

All you get is a very angry letter from the league. Obviously that would be horrible for the club. We would have to agree to go away and think about what we've done and how learning from the experience will make us a better club. It would be a simple apology letter written by Mel Morris and delivered to EFL HQ. By Rooney. In a helicopter

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

BBC says we had the stadium down on the accounts as an asset worth 41m. The EFL valuation is much closer to that than our valuation. I guess the point is how on Earth we managed to sell it for almost double what we’ve previously valued it at, as an asset. Now obviously the value as an asset is different to a value that you would sell it for, but it does bring our valuation into a bit of disrepute for me. The more I look into this, the more I think the EFL has a case here. It’s a difficult one, because I can see how a stadium would be worth 80m looking at the fees teams are paying to build new ones these days. But I do think the EFL has a legitimate case here.

It was last valued a long time ago though, at least a decade IIRC.  The previous value on our books is basically the value it was at that point.  You can’t just change the value of an asset on your books, as it would be a massive tax avoidance loophole.  So it sits at that value until we pay to have it revalued.  Which we did before we sold it.  Since then, so much had changed in football that it shouldn’t be remotely surprising that it’s valuation has changed significantly.  So it’s not like we sold the stadium for double what it’s worth, it’s double what it was worth a decade ago.

And the silence from the club is deafening yet again. . . 

Sheffield Wednesday put out a reactive statement pretty much immediately to put their side across, Derby should have been all over this. 

ive never seen a comms team as incompetent as ours, utterly hopeless.

4 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

Ok,  but you only respond to half my post. Many clubs have fallen by these rules but who do they benefit?? Us? Sheff wef? QPR? Bury? 

You posted the following.

Football is just the pits, and I'm rapidly losing interest in the bigger picture. Var ruins the pl, while ffp ruins the efl. Ffp is bull#$@@ so Villa are ok, QPR are ok, but we are not. Every year it is watch the money, we need to sell before we can buy etc and then this. If we had just stuck two fingers up at the efl and spent like Villa we'd be up and seemingly untouchable.

On a more ration note, let's just play the kids and wait until Burnley prize them off us with undisclosed bids, too good to turn down. 

Either way, its dominated by finances and when your in our position it's really ducking difficult! A big club, just not quite big enough...

Your main points in this post were that we should like Villa and QPR who you believe were not punished. I responded by telling you that QPR were punished, VIlla may still be punished and that we already tried the "spend to ludicrous levels to get promoted" approach and it didnt work.

The only other point you really made seemed to imply that football hasn't always been dominated by football. Derby were breaking British transfer records under Sir Brian and we did again when we built the team that won the second title. Money has always dominated football.

If you had made a point regarding who benefits from FFP I would have replied and told you that it only give teams relegated from the Premier League an unfair advantage. Nobody else benefits from it. It doesn't stop any club falling into a financial black hole and usually just makes it far worse. In the Prem its designed to protect the positions of the big clubs.

1 minute ago, Derbados said:

Sheffield Wednesday put out a reactive statement pretty much immediately to put their side across, Derby should have been all over this. 

Another group added to the incompetence list sorry comms team, you join the recruitment team, Mel Morris, the manager and the players. ??‍♂️

Best to just to come clean and apologise.

just explain that we’re not very good at valuing things.

£6m for johnson

£4.5m for will hughes

750k for scouting suggestions from Paul Ince and his Mrs

the evidence is overwhelming

4 minutes ago, GenBr said:

You posted the following.

Your main points in this post were that we should like Villa and QPR who you believe were not punished. I responded by telling you that QPR were punished, VIlla may still be punished and that we already tried the "spend to ludicrous levels to get promoted" approach and it didnt work.

The only other point you really made seemed to imply that football hasn't always been dominated by football. Derby were breaking British transfer records under Sir Brian and we did again when we built the team that won the second title. Money has always dominated football.

If you had made a point regarding who benefits from FFP I would have replied and told you that it only give teams relegated from the Premier League an unfair advantage. Nobody else benefits from it. It doesn't stop any club falling into a financial black hole and usually just makes it far worse. In the Prem its designed to protect the positions of the big clubs.

What did happen to QPR? I genuinely can't remember.

Just now, Derbados said:

No access to information? Have you not seen the EFL statement?

The EFL statement says we've been charged. Doesn't mean we're proven to be guilty yet. We haven't responded yet, the case isn't closed. Why don't you wait and hold judgement rather than hysterically rant about our club being terribly run? 

I hope that MM is going to come out fighting with all guns blazing over this seemingly ridiculous EFL charge.

FWIW ppl may be interested in the following copied from the BBC website (apologies if already posted).

Sheffield Wednesday have issued a claim against the English Football League for allegedly "acting unlawfully" by charging the club over the sale of their ground to owner Dejphon Chansiri. The Owls sold Hillsborough for about £60m, helping them post a pre-tax profit of £2.5m in 2017-18.

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Another group added to the incompetence list sorry comms team, you join the recruitment team, Mel Morris, the manager and the players. ??‍♂️

Don’t forget the people responsible for sourcing the pies.....

8 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Derby have no need to put out a statement just a line referring everyone to the one in September that stated the EFL signed off on the sale and accounts.

One thing for sure is that noone will know until the case comes forward and is in the open. Hope it happens quickly.

One thing I do know is that the EFL are VERY keen to ensure that more clubs do not sell their biggest assets in terms of stadiums to fund losses. Was at a recent sports law briefing at St Georges and that came through very clearly, it has also been signalled pretty clearly in the media.

FFP is there to keep clubs financially viable for the long term. Selling a stadium to clear debts is a one time deal, we may find that is at the root of this saga.

Just now, Ramleicester said:

FFP is there to keep clubs financially viable for the long term. Selling a stadium to clear debts is a one time deal, we may find that is at the root of this saga.

And if that's the case, it's failing. FFP is there to ensure the top clubs in the Premier League can spend almost unlimited amounts, and the clubs below the top 6 will never be able to challenge their spending. Ensuring the top clubs remain in their position. In the Championship, it ensures if you ever get relegated from the Premier League the odds are stacked in your favour to go back up due to how unfair parachute payments are.

Archived