Billy Sharp

Fraser_23

4 minutes ago, Fraser_23 said:

Anyone that doesn’t want this signing to happen is just clueless. He’s still banging goals and assists at this level, as proven last season. He’s scored in the prem as well. He got a team Promoted with his contributions, yet some Derby fans think that he’s “ past it” or “too old” and would rather stick with Waghorn who can’t score a 1v1, and Marriott who is obviously made of paper.

Why are they clueless? Maybe read some of the replies here..... it’s just a different opinion, for me it’s a massive waste of five months wages in the budget 

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Pastinaak said:

But it's not taking into account the recent change in form and the Rooney effect. If I was Mel I take a gamble and get Sharp in for the push.

Is better to agree to disagree. The recent change of form has been seen over the past 3 or 4 games whether that can be kept up over the second half of the season is debatable and it also needs to outstrip the form of the teams currently in the top 6 for us to get there which is an additional hurdle.

I don't want to digress from the thread content which is about Billy Sharp and I imagine someone higher up the tree than me at Derby is thinking we can still make the playoffs hence why Sharp is being seriously looked at so it's not my opinion which counts I guess 

At the very least; this could likely give the other strikers a kick up the backside. Currently everyone among our center forward options are out of form and missing regular chances; shaking that group up can't be a bad thing. 

Once someone in that position hits actual form I think they'll all improve.

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

Why would someone be against this? 

A loan means he isnt blocking the path of any youth to step up like Cocu & Mel have said, clearly nobody is ready to step up just yet.

We are one of the lowest scorers in the league. Martin is a hold up player, Waghorn needs 20 chances to score 1 and Marriott cant play any more than 3 games in a row.

Yesterday showed we need a striker who can run in behind & without Marriott we dont have that.

I personally would be happy with this signing. Not every signing we make has to a youngster. Sharp could easily come in and bag 10+ goals for us and get us close to the playoffs if not in them.

If the goss is true, and that’s a big if with Nixon, then it is inconceivable if we are interested that Cocu and his coaching team (including Rooney) are not on board. He ain’t going to be cheap in terms of weekly wage to sit on the sub’s bench.

1) Sharp would give us a more cutting edge, and help us meander up the table.  I am telling you all now we are not getting in the play offs this season - happy for this to be bookmarked and take all the stick anyone wants to give come May.

2) Taking Sharp on loan must surely mean that Cocu does want to play with a Marriott/Sharp/Pukki type forward next season. Sharp gives a more reliable opportunity to play to the same system each week for the remainder of the season, and let our youngsters in midfield grow with another good pro in the ranks.  It would be also a good wake up call for Marriott (if that is what he needs) or an opportunity over the coming months to get him fixed in terms of fitness for next season.  Or offload now if they are sick to the tits with him.

The remainder of the season must be about getting up the league, generating a style of play, and giving our more promising youngsters game time without ‘damaging’ them.  Then a good clear out and some shrewd purchases will be the order of the day come July.

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

Is better to agree to disagree. The recent change of form has been seen over the past 3 or 4 games whether that can be kept up over the second half of the season is debatable and it also needs to outstrip the form of the teams currently in the top 6 for us to get there which is an additional hurdle.

I don't want to digress from the thread content which is about Billy Sharp and I imagine someone higher up the tree than me at Derby is thinking we can still make the playoffs hence why Sharp is being seriously looked at so it's not my opinion which counts I guess 

Top 6 is still on of course it is, 8 point gap can be closed in a month, will it? Not sure, but to give up now would be foolish and disrespectful to all those that have purchased season tickets.

Just hope the players don’t have the same mentality as some of our fans.

13 minutes ago, Fraser_23 said:

Anyone that doesn’t want this signing to happen is just clueless. He’s still banging goals and assists at this level, as proven last season. He’s scored in the prem as well. He got a team Promoted with his contributions, yet some Derby fans think that he’s “ past it” or “too old” and would rather stick with Waghorn who can’t score a 1v1, and Marriott who is obviously made of paper.

There's no longevity to the transfer though, and when our current philosophy is being created around building for the future, Sharp becomes an 'off brand' signing. I could maybe see your logic if we were simply 1 prolific striker away from promotion but we are a world away from being in that situation. 

I would far rather see JHI given the odd opportunity here and there, alongside continuing to blood Whittaker, than bring in a 33 year old whose mere presence does block the pathway for youth progression and development. I'm not sure that's ''clueless'', if anything it fits our current modus operandi...?

2 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Why would someone be against this? 

A loan means he isnt blocking the path of any youth to step up like Cocu & Mel have said, clearly nobody is ready to step up just yet.

We are one of the lowest scorers in the league. Martin is a hold up player, Waghorn needs 20 chances to score 1 and Marriott cant play any more than 3 games in a row.

Yesterday showed we need a striker who can run in behind & without Marriott we dont have that.

I personally would be happy with this signing. Not every signing we make has to a youngster. Sharp could easily come in and bag 10+ goals for us and get us close to the playoffs if not in them.

I’ll walk to Wembley if we get there........naked. We are more than Billy Sharpe away from the POs

In my opinion what’s the point in signing him?
So he can suck £10k+ a week out of the club? Improve us to 12th position maybe? Nurture him for the future?

We have enough deadwood/baggage already. Wouldn’t you prefer to give Whittaker more game time to see if he’s any good?

4 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

There's no longevity to the transfer though, and when our current philosophy is being created around building for the future, Sharp becomes an 'off brand' signing. I could maybe see your logic if we were simply 1 prolific striker away from promotion but we are a world away from being in that situation. 

I would far rather see JHI given the odd opportunity here and there, alongside continuing to blood Whittaker, than bring in a 33 year old whose mere presence does block the pathway for youth progression and development. I'm not sure that's ''clueless'', if anything it fits our current modus operandi...?

I'm sure I read an article when Cocu joined from a Dutch perspective.

They reckoned he was keener on experienced loans to fill gaps in the squad than younger loanees who needed development, only to disappear back to their clubs if they came good.

I think he'd be perfect at this moment in time, keep Whittaker around the squad to learn from a pro who definitely knows where the goal is, he'll not be picking up much from Marriott and Waghorn after all.

Come the end of the season, I expect Sibley will have become an established 1st team performer alongside Bird and Knight, and Whittaker will have plenty of minutes too.

Signing Billy Sharp doesn't block anyone's progress, but would give the youngsters exposure to a natural born finisher to learn from.

I agree top 6 is unlikely, but it would do no harm to win more than we lose until the seasons end, and that momentum is what Sharp could offer.

8 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I'm sure I read an article when Cocu joined from a Dutch perspective.

They reckoned he was keener on experienced loans to fill gaps in the squad than younger loanees who needed development, only to disappear back to their clubs if they came good.

I think he'd be perfect at this moment in time, keep Whittaker around the squad to learn from a pro who definitely knows where the goal is, he'll not be picking up much from Marriott and Waghorn after all.

Come the end of the season, I expect Sibley will have become an established 1st team performer alongside Bird and Knight, and Whittaker will have plenty of minutes too.

Signing Billy Sharp doesn't block anyone's progress, but would give the youngsters exposure to a natural born finisher to learn from.

I agree top 6 is unlikely, but it would do no harm to win more than we lose until the seasons end, and that momentum is what Sharp could offer.

I interpreted Cocu's loan strategy differently, he seemed more concerned with the 'not returning' element rather than age, in essence, he only tries to loan people that there is a possibility of signing permanently afterwards. 

If Whittaker isn't already learning that off Rooney who was a far better striker than Sharp ever was, there's something wrong

I also disagree about blocking progress. Wilder's most recent comments suggested Sharp was a valuable member of their squad still. For us to be able to loan him, we'd then have to play him regularly. I'd rather those minutes go to youngsters than a 33 year old loanee, that's my point.

24 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

I’ll walk to Wembley if we get there........naked. We are more than Billy Sharpe away from the POs

In my opinion what’s the point in signing him?
So he can suck £10k+ a week out of the club? Improve us to 12th position maybe? Nurture him for the future?

We have enough deadwood/baggage already. Wouldn’t you prefer to give Whittaker more game time to see if he’s any good?

Would you be happy if Mel, Cocu & the players had this mindset? 8pts off playoffs isnt much with the amount of games left to go, we have Rooney now plus the players returning from injury and any other new additions this month. Other than Brentford & Fulham in the playoffs I havent seen anything from the rest above us to think we cant catch them.

As for Whittaker, no id rather not give him any more game time, not seen anything from him when he has played, would much rather he go out on loan like Lowe did and come back a better player than end up getting moaned at by our fans which has already happened a few times.

We cant have a team full of youngsters, we need experience as well.

2 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Would you be happy if Mel, Cocu & the players had this mindset? 8pts off playoffs isnt much with the amount of games left to go, we have Rooney now plus the players retunring from injury and any other new additions this month. Other than Brentford & Fulham in the playoffs I havent seen anything from the rest above us to think we cant catch them.

As for Whittaker, no id rather not give him any more game time, not seen anything from him when he has played, would much rather he go out on loan like Lowe did and come back a better player than end up getting moaned at by our fans which has already happened a few times.

Yes I think they have this mindset and I’m fine with it. I want to be in the playoffs on merit playing attractive footy, not limping and scrapping in like the previous 2 times. We’ve been there and in the end we get found out  

We keep saying Coco needs time to build his team and needs transfer windows and so here we are and we’re supposed to be looking at 33 year old strikers! 

Coco and co for me have a free hit now this season and I would hope we only sign players who have a future with him at the club (his signings) not lazy pointless signings like this. 

30 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Would you be happy if Mel, Cocu & the players had this mindset? 8pts off playoffs isnt much with the amount of games left to go, we have Rooney now plus the players returning from injury and any other new additions this month. Other than Brentford & Fulham in the playoffs I havent seen anything from the rest above us to think we cant catch them.

I agree totally with ur post mate.

the only thing I’d add is that winning is a habit ... as is losing 

if bringing in a seasoned professional, add that cutting edge and starts to provide that winning mentality no matter where that takes us that can only be a good thing for the youngsters we have like bird,lowe, bogle and knight 

looking forward to the second half of this season sharpe COULD give us that option we’re missing as Marriott is proving to be somewhat of an unreliable entity, Martin will probably be gone end of season when his contract expires and after a promising start looks to be dropping back down the pecking order 

Whittaker isn’t ready yet, might just need some more time to bulk up and come up to speed, sharpe in theory would buy us a little time 

51 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

Yes I think they have this mindset and I’m fine with it. I want to be in the playoffs on merit playing attractive footy, not limping and scrapping in like the previous 2 times. We’ve been there and in the end we get found out  

We keep saying Coco needs time to build his team and needs transfer windows and so here we are and we’re supposed to be looking at 33 year old strikers! 

Coco and co for me have a free hit now this season and I would hope we only sign players who have a future with him at the club (his signings) not lazy pointless signings like this. 

Are you suggesting that Billy having lost his point is not as Sharp as he used to be?

Not particularly keen on the Cosgrove rumour but for me, providing it's nowhere near the £4m being suggested, given our league position and the likelihood we'll still be in the Championship next season, it's a risk I'd prefer to take rather than pay Sharps' wages for the next 5 months.

Archived