Billy Sharp

Fraser_23

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Billy Sharp may well be my favourite footballer outside of those that have played for Derby. He’s an all or nothing, leave everything out on the pitch type of player. Nevertheless, I don’t see the point in signing him when we have so many other flaws, we don’t sign a creative winger or two then Sharp would only produce the same as our other strikers. I would hope we were moving smarter in the transfer market, seemingly not. 

Sharp would be an upgrade on Marriott and Waghorn, so it’s a no brainer for me.

28 goals scored from 27 league games is poor.

Marriott is a shadow of the player he was and Waghorn is not a natural finisher. Both of them waste the kind of chances an experienced player like Sharp would gobble up.

If you want the team to win more matches, score more goals, and be more entertaining, surely this is a step forward?

3 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Why are they clueless? Maybe read some of the replies here..... it’s just a different opinion, for me it’s a massive waste of five months wages in the budget 

How would it be a waste of wages when he would score us goals and potentially get us promoted?? ?

1 minute ago, Fraser_23 said:

How would it be a waste of wages when he would score us goals and potentially get us promoted?? ?

??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

3 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

There's no longevity to the transfer though, and when our current philosophy is being created around building for the future, Sharp becomes an 'off brand' signing. I could maybe see your logic if we were simply 1 prolific striker away from promotion but we are a world away from being in that situation. 

I would far rather see JHI given the odd opportunity here and there, alongside continuing to blood Whittaker, than bring in a 33 year old whose mere presence does block the pathway for youth progression and development. I'm not sure that's ''clueless'', if anything it fits our current modus operandi...?

I get what you’re saying but that system hasn’t worked and it’s been 6 months. I am all for promoting youth but some of them are just not quite there and could do with a loan like JML. 
we need a striker to score us goals and that’s the main aim of tht position, and so far this season it hasn’t been happening.

cant take you seriously with that profile pic btw ??

5 minutes ago, Fraser_23 said:

Please elaborate 

We will not get promoted, I see this as a waste of 5 figure a week wages to get us half way up the league..... let’s say this costs us 300-400k over 5 months, I’d rather them funds go on securing one of the younger lads coming through contracts, where we would have an asset, and if moved on over the coming years, you’d make a tidy sum off. 

5 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

Waghorn is wasteful (3rd most in league) and yes Marriott is made of glass, but I don't see the point in this. 

6 months of a 35 year old to help us achieve midtable? Seems a waste of money and time for minimal gain

Well done for predicting the end of the season. We all might as well stop watching. 

8 minutes ago, Fraser_23 said:

I get what you’re saying but that system hasn’t worked and it’s been 6 months. I am all for promoting youth but some of them are just not quite there and could do with a loan like JML. 
we need a striker to score us goals and that’s the main aim of tht position, and so far this season it hasn’t been happening.

cant take you seriously with that profile pic btw ??

I'm still quietly hopeful that Marriott will play most games once he returns from this niggle. If he can, it means we don't need Sharp, and I think Martin is a good backup. Nothing against Sharp as a player, I just think there are better transfers for us than him IF we can keep Marriott fit and firing.

Re. Josefzoon- I remember when he bagged that brace against Hull and i thought ''oh, that's a cool celebration as well'' so thought it'd make a decent profile pic. Maybe I jinxed his entire Derby career when I did? ? You've made me self conscious now though so I'm gonna change it ?

Yes he scored a lot of goals last season...

...in that Sheffield Utd team!

Wouldn't be getting anywhere near the same service here. Nor would he be playing in a team that's anywhere near as far along as Wilder's was.

I'd much rather us keep hold of Marriott and give him games, than bring in yet another 30+ player to act as a stop-gap.

23 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

We will not get promoted, I see this as a waste of 5 figure a week wages to get us half way up the league..... let’s say this costs us 300-400k over 5 months, I’d rather them funds go on securing one of the younger lads coming through contracts, where we would have an asset, and if moved on over the coming years, you’d make a tidy sum off. 

We are only 8 points off the playoffs and now unbeaten in 5. There’s hope 

16 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

I'm still quietly hopeful that Marriott will play most games once he returns from this niggle. If he can, it means we don't need Sharp, and I think Martin is a good backup. Nothing against Sharp as a player, I just think there are better transfers for us than him IF we can keep Marriott fit and firing.

Re. Josefzoon- I remember when he bagged that brace against Hull and i thought ''oh, that's a cool celebration as well'' so thought it'd make a decent profile pic. Maybe I jinxed his entire Derby career when I did? ? You've made me self conscious now though so I'm gonna change it ?

I reckon if we get Marriott to full fitness he will bag 20+ a season, but he just keeps getting injured making him a liability.

i remember thinking after that hull game, that we’d finally found a decent winger and that Flo would be the answer. How wrong we both were ?

2 minutes ago, Fraser_23 said:

I reckon if we get Marriott to full fitness he will bag 20+ a season, but he just keeps getting injured making him a liability.

i remember thinking after that hull game, that we’d finally found a decent winger and that Flo would be the answer. How wrong we both were ?

He scored in the league (also against Hull) the game after, and then his form fell off the face of the earth. He's just been permanently low on confidence. Whenever he plays he'll try and take on a man or 2 and when it doesn't come off, he just won't try it again all game but he's the sort of winger that needs to do it 3/4 times to create the opportunity that it does work. 

In all honesty, seeing as Zoon is the only natural winger at the club, I'd rather use the hypothetical Sharp funds to get a winger in

Good player at this level despite being in the twilight of his career.

Doesnt look good for Marriott but he guy isn’t fit half the time. I think it’s pretty much certain Sharp won’t come here, but the fact that we are looking tells it’s own story!

24 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Would anyone’s opinion on Sharp alter if we also signed Jack Clarke?

Also, Martin has not had an out-and-out striker to play with. He has the footballing intelligence to put Sharp in for chances.

When he’s been fit Marriott is an out and out striker 

cocu did it for two games (two up top) one very good win and performance against boro and the other a vert spirited and improved away performance at the red dogs where we should have taken something 

cocu then binned that idea never to be seen again 

Sadly I think if sharpe comes it won’t be to play in a two which disappoints me 

Incidentally his glut of goals for United last term came playing in a two 

just saying 

Archived