v Hull City (H) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

A very well won three points. I was expecting a really tough match today, with Hull being in good form overall, but ended up thinking that they didn't actually offer that much. They could have had a couple of goals, had two shots on target and not a lot else. Sadly, you could see their recent Premiership pedigree because the only thing they were consistently good at was falling to the floor like flies and getting free kicks because the ref was pretty poor yet again. Just how bad will the match officials be once we have started our court action against the EFL? Although Hull seemed to get free-kicks on demand, until the last 10 or 15 minutes we had only been given about 7 free kicks all match!

Derby didn't play well in terms of the much improved play we have achieved in recent games, but we kept plugging away and never let our heads go down. Early on I had Wisdom down for man of the match, with Holmes shining as well. Although Clarke came into the match as time went on, and with the change of defence, he was left as our defensive playmaker! On numerous occasions as we played the ball out from the back, it seemed the plan was to get the ball to Clarke to let him launch the next attack. Impressively Clarke seems to have lost that "rabbit in the headlights" look as soon as he realised he'd got the ball at his feet.

Waghorn did well today, actually managing to control the ball when it came to him, although I am not sure he is the man for one-up-front. Has anyone wondered how many challenges he would win if, when jumping for a high ball he actually went for the ball? In h the vast majority of cases he is more intent in putting his backside into the defender's back, so by the time the ball is within reach he is either turned away from the ball, or leaning over so much that his head is actually at the defender's shoulder height. i know part of his game is "putting himself about", but surely trying to win headers should be part of it as well.

And Tom Lawrence: I felt his was fairly anonymous today, but reading through the thread here after getting home, there are plenty who say that his keeping it simple and laying the ball off instead of taking the entire defence on single-handedly was a sign of a more mature performance. And I agree, but simply hadn't noticed it. And so, back to the berk in the red shirt - that yellow for Lawrence was incredibly harsh. Given what he had given to Hull all match, to book Tom for what was his first offence was very harsh. It was also a harsh card on Knight, also his first offence, as he had been completely clattered in virtually the same location only a few minutes earlier, with no card being shown. Well done Wayne Rooney for being on the ref's case all match - here he went head to head with the idiot, almost touching foreheads  - I was sure he was going to be carded for that, but thankfully wasn't.

Overall, although a bit humdrum, maybe Hull not looking as dangerous as I expected is because of how we limited the way they could play. I also felt that if we had played a few yards further up the pitch and at a slightly higher tempo Hull were there for the taking.

Well done you Rams for not letting the off-the-pitch events distract you, and for plugging away for a hard fought win!

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I got a bottle of Hine Cognac for Xmas and swore I wouldn't open it till he scored, yet he keeps slipping in others instead of shooting!

Any ideas why I'd be justified opening it now gratefully received?

The Leeds scum lost and we’ve just overtaken Gibson’s lot. Chin chin ?

2 hours ago, Big Trav said:

Mate was telling me Tom Lawrence was having verbals with fans. Anyone see this. Apparently happened twice in the west stand 

He was right in front of me when the ball went in from his corner and it would’ve looked like he was giving it to the stand but he was just shouting “ducking get in” and looked very pumped!

17 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Where is the hypocrisy?

Of course I am happy to see the team do well and to see Cocu and the boys prosper. Isn’t that what we all want?

Do I think Cocu is the right man for the job? I don’t. But if he continues to prove me wrong, fantastic.

I think it’s perfectly natural that some fans were worried about relegation. Before the Charlton game, we looked hugely devoid of desire and hunger. That game and the unique circumstances we found ourselves in seems to have lit a fire under us.

Where relegation is concerned, personally I won’t rest easy. I don’t think we are out of the woods yet unless our away form improves.

The hypocrisy is refusing to accept that there are reasons behind underperforming (writing them off as excuse) in order to make a point against the manager then as soon as we pick up a few points saying

"Considering everything the club has gone through this season, some might say a top half finish is an achievement"

...as if there's a huge difference between finishing 11th (top half) and finishing  17th. You're probably only talking 6-12 points difference between the two. 3, 4, 5 results out of 46.

Either you make a fair allowance for circumstance or you don't, you've gone for the pick and choose approach.

Rooney was a bit meh! today, on the ball, but what he does bring or should I say has happenened since he has started playing, is that as a team we have shape and solidity, probably due to his cajoling and organising. We were so disjointed earlier in the season with bodies everywhere with no discernable pattern. We have that now. 

Some slick patterns of play and some cutting edge to embed and we wont be far off.

4 minutes ago, IronRam 140.6 said:

Rooney was a bit meh! today, on the ball, but what he does bring or should I say has happenened since he has started playing, is that as a team we have shape and solidity, probably due to his cajoling and organising. We were so disjointed earlier in the season with bodies everywhere with no discernable pattern. We have that now. 

Some slick patterns of play and some cutting edge to embed and we wont be far off.

All true and we haven’t played anybody good yet but we are functional so let’s muck up lots of teams season ( dirties, dogs )

12 minutes ago, Coconut said:

The hypocrisy is refusing to accept that there are reasons behind underperforming (writing them off as excuse) in order to make a point against the manager then as soon as we pick up a few points saying

"Considering everything the club has gone through this season, some might say a top half finish is an achievement"

...as if there's a huge difference between finishing 11th (top half) and finishing  17th. You're probably only talking 6-12 points difference between the two. 3, 4, 5 results out of 46.

Either you make a fair allowance for circumstance or you don't, you've gone for the pick and choose approach.

Yes, I think some circumstances have made Cocu’s job challenging - the FFP charges and the drink driving scandal, without a doubt.

But every other problem he has faced - like managing an injury hit squad - are problems that are par for the course in football management.

We have been unfortunate with injuries but I don’t think Cocu would want to hide behind that. He himself would probably admit he has struggled to adapt to the English game.

The question for me has always been whether this group of players are playing to their potential and whether Cocu was getting the most out of them.

Up until recently, the answer would have been no. And to be honest, it’s still no for me. But recent weeks have certainly been a step in the right direction.

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Yes, I think some circumstances have made Cocu’s job challenging - the FFP charges and the drink driving scandal, without a doubt.

But every other problem he has faced - like managing an injury hit squad - are problems that are par for the course in football management.

We have been unfortunate with injuries but I don’t think Cocu would want to hide behind that. He himself would probably admit he has struggled to adapt to the English game.

The question for me has always been whether this group of players are playing to their potential and whether Cocu was getting the most out of them.

Up until recently, the answer would have been no. And to be honest, it’s still no for me. But recent weeks have certainly been a step in the right direction.

I always at least appreciate that you've put some thought into your posts even if I don't agree with them, this would be a good example although you're far, far from changing my outlook.

As I said earlier, bit too drink for a proper debate! However it happens still glad you're feeling at least a little more positive about our future.

UTR

First game I’ve been to since QPR end of November. Excellent first 10 mins, lost our way and they should’ve been in front, finished last 10 mins of first half well, then second half despite us not creating many chances (it was a match of very few chances actually) there was only one team in it. We thoroughly deserved the win against a half decent team.

Stand out for me was Holmes, as well as I’ve seen him play in a long time (recognising I didn’t see him against Barnsley). Other solid performances were the back four Huddlestone and Knight just looks a player. Rooney wasn’t in the game enough but when he was showed moments of superstar quality. Waggy worked hard but isn’t good enough down the middle for me. Lawrence good second half poor in the first but did put a shift in.

Solid championship win and we need more of these if we’re going to shake up the playoff mix (or stay clear of any trouble if the EFL are allowed to be Bamfords!)

duck the EFL!

39 minutes ago, IronRam 140.6 said:

Troops can be the bravest of the brave, but you need a leader, an inspirational figure, a fulcrum, someone or something to nail your flag to. I think Wayne is doing this for us. I just want him to hit a screamer at home so we can all embrace him as a Ram in a kind of the full membership way. It will happen.. just hope I’m there when it does. 

33 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

First game I’ve been to since QPR end of November. Excellent first 10 mins, lost our way and they should’ve been in front, finished last 10 mins of first half well, then second half despite us not creating many chances (it was a match of very few chances actually) there was only one team in it. We thoroughly deserved the win against a half decent team.

Stand out for me was Holmes, as well as I’ve seen him play in a long time (recognising I didn’t see him against Barnsley). Other solid performances were the back four Huddlestone and Knight just looks a player. Rooney wasn’t in the game enough but when he was showed moments of superstar quality. Waggy worked hard but isn’t good enough down the middle for me. Lawrence good second half poor in the first but did put a shift in.

Solid championship win and we need more of these if we’re going to shake up the playoff mix (or stay clear of any trouble if the EFL are allowed to be Bamfords!)

duck the EFL!

Agree with your summary,everyone out a shift in and I'm enjoying seeing knight blossom into a potentially game winning player.

Waghorn again ran around well but he's fairly hopeless in the lone striker role...a better first touch than of late I suppose but that's damning with faint praise.I'd much rather have Marriott as an agile striker (when fit) and Martin as the hold up man with his intelligent passing and foresight.

42 minutes ago, jono said:

Troops can be the bravest of the brave, but you need a leader, an inspirational figure, a fulcrum, someone or something to nail your flag to. I think Wayne is doing this for us. I just want him to hit a screamer at home so we can all embrace him as a Ram in a kind of the full membership way. It will happen.. just hope I’m there when it does. 

He did, Corner swung over to him, Hits it on the volley, Only to return it to the corner taker....Cracking pass ?

Poor game, Not much to get me out of my seat except when Hamer gave the ball away and Hull couldn't capitalise late in the 2nd half, Still 3 points so who gives a damn.

35 minutes ago, I Bought the Tee Shirt said:

He did, Corner swung over to him, Hits it on the volley, Only to return it to the corner taker....Cracking pass ?

Poor game, Not much to get me out of my seat except when Hamer gave the ball away and Hull couldn't capitalise late in the 2nd half, Still 3 points so who gives a damn.

Fair enough, but not really the point I was making.

yeah, though, 3 precious points. ?

2 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

A very well won three points. I was expecting a really tough match today, with Hull being in good form overall, but ended up thinking that they didn't actually offer that much. They could have had a couple of goals, had two shots on target and not a lot else. Sadly, you could see their recent Premiership pedigree because the only thing they were consistently good at was falling to the floor like flies and getting free kicks because the ref was pretty poor yet again. Just how bad will the match officials be once we have started our court action against the EFL? Although Hull seemed to get free-kicks on demand, until the last 10 or 15 minutes we had only been given about 7 free kicks all match!

Derby didn't play well in terms of the much improved play we have achieved in recent games, but we kept plugging away and never let our heads go down. Early on I had Wisdom down for man of the match, with Holmes shining as well. Although Clarke came into the match as time went on, and with the change of defence, he was left as our defensive playmaker! On numerous occasions as we played the ball out from the back, it seemed the plan was to get the ball to Clarke to let him launch the next attack. Impressively Clarke seems to have lost that "rabbit in the headlights" look as soon as he realised he'd got the ball at his feet.

Waghorn did well today, actually managing to control the ball when it came to him, although I am not sure he is the man for one-up-front. Has anyone wondered how many challenges he would win if, when jumping for a high ball he actually went for the ball? In h the vast majority of cases he is more intent in putting his backside into the defender's back, so by the time the ball is within reach he is either turned away from the ball, or leaning over so much that his head is actually at the defender's shoulder height. i know part of his game is "putting himself about", but surely trying to win headers should be part of it as well.

And Tom Lawrence: I felt his was fairly anonymous today, but reading through the thread here after getting home, there are plenty who say that his keeping it simple and laying the ball off instead of taking the entire defence on single-handedly was a sign of a more mature performance. And I agree, but simply hadn't noticed it. And so, back to the berk in the red shirt - that yellow for Lawrence was incredibly harsh. Given what he had given to Hull all match, to book Tom for what was his first offence was very harsh. It was also a harsh card on Knight, also his first offence, as he had been completely clattered in virtually the same location only a few minutes earlier, with no card being shown. Well done Wayne Rooney for being on the ref's case all match - here he went head to head with the idiot, almost touching foreheads  - I was sure he was going to be carded for that, but thankfully wasn't.

Overall, although a bit humdrum, maybe Hull not looking as dangerous as I expected is because of how we limited the way they could play. I also felt that if we had played a few yards further up the pitch and at a slightly higher tempo Hull were there for the taking.

Well done you Rams for not letting the off-the-pitch events distract you, and for plugging away for a hard fought win!

image.jpeg

Clarke man of the match for me, goal and vital block shortly after from some awful decision making from other team mates. Although Wisdom a close second, hes shown time and time again he deserves to be in the 11, hope it continues. 

Holmes great today too, Knight got stuck in, Lowe did well. 

Bogle better but still nowhere near last years level and im so fed up of seeing him cut inside when he had ages to bomb on down the wing and get a cross in. 

Thought Lawrence did well today. Assist for the goal and some clever play. Thought North stand were great at applauding him when he came over for the early few corners. 

Much to improve but promising. 

31 minutes ago, goldstar said:

Clarke man of the match for me, goal and vital block shortly after from some awful decision making from other team mates. Although Wisdom a close second, hes shown time and time again he deserves to be in the 11, hope it continues. 

Holmes great today too, Knight got stuck in, Lowe did well. 

Bogle better but still nowhere near last years level and im so fed up of seeing him cut inside when he had ages to bomb on down the wing and get a cross in. 

Thought Lawrence did well today. Assist for the goal and some clever play. Thought North stand were great at applauding him when he came over for the early few corners. 

Much to improve but promising. 

We've been doing that every game.  Since abandoning the West Stand Library, I've become quite fond of the inclusive North Stand Working Man's (Persons's?) Club vibe ??

28 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

We've been doing that every game.  Since abandoning the West Stand Library, I've become quite fond of the inclusive North Stand Working Man's (Persons's?) Club vibe ??

Has a certain charm does the North stand. The mix of red faced spitting old men with confused faces of 5 year olds asking their parents what that word meant really is an odd mix. But it works! 

39 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

I'm in the corner of the east stand where it borders the north stand and plenty of us were clapping for him too...he always responds positively. 

The standard of the refs and linesmen is depressingly poor. I've never known such weak, indecisive, out of their depth officials as I've seen this season.

Linesmen who see a ball go out of play and then wait for the ref to indicate which way before flagging.....wtf is that all about, I just don't get it and it boils my piss more than it should at my age.....surely, if the ball goes out of play the Lino should just flag for what he's seen, not what the ref has seen...I don't get it, at least twice the Lino looked at the ref and kept his flag down until the ref indicated which way to give it...why can't the Lino give what he sees, why does he wait for guidance from the ref who had a worse view of it.......I'd love to know what instructions linesmen get....it must be, "don't give a throw in until you've checked with me which way we want this game to go", why else would a Lino wait....are they instructed by referees to not give decisions? 

If I was in the West Stand today, I would have wet the end of my tartan rug , whipped the linesman legs with it like flicking a towel in the changing room then impaled the banker with my flask.

Archived