v Hull City (H) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

9 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

The standard of the refs and linesmen is depressingly poor. I've never known such weak, indecisive, out of their depth officials as I've seen this season.

Linesmen who see a ball go out of play and then wait for the ref to indicate which way before flagging.....wtf is that all about, I just don't get it and it boils my piss more than it should at my age.....surely, if the ball goes out of play the Lino should just flag for what he's seen, not what the ref has seen...I don't get it, at least twice the Lino looked at the ref and kept his flag down until the ref indicated which way to give it...why can't the Lino give what he sees, why does he wait for guidance from the ref who had a worse view of it.......I'd love to know what instructions linesmen get....it must be, "don't give a throw in until you've checked with me which way we want this game to go", why else would a Lino wait....are they instructed by referees to not give decisions? 

If I was in the West Stand today, I would have wet the end of my tartan rug , whipped the linesman legs with it like flicking a towel in the changing room then impaled the banker with my flask.

Top rant, oozing class, great turn of phrase, clinical finish with the thermos  ... well done that man. 

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

I thought we had a few good chances 1st half at least.

Yeah it probably comes down to my harsh definition of what a good chance is.

I only class moments where I genuinely thought it would be a goal, during live play, as a good chance!

2 hours ago, Rambalin said:

Has a former Ref myself I will try and answer your point.......before the game you tell the lino what you want from them interms of communication one of those is all I want s a indication of ball in and out of play and I will decide the  direction of the throw.It comes down to how much control you want and at a lower level for instance parks games how much trust you have in the people running the line.

One of those instructions can be look at me and I will indicate which way I want it given and it maybe just a  barely noticeable hand movement but I would suspect at this level it will be a word in the mic.

If that's the case then it's farcical. Borderline decisions where the linesman is 5 yards away but the ref is 40 must rest with the lino but these days it's as though, for every decision, they look at the ref to make sure they are in agreement. They're not frightened of the referee - it's the assessor sitting in the stand who worries the life out of them.

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Another view is: A scrappy and lucky one nil win imo, Hull could of been out of sight in the 1st half. Took the game to Hull? When? Our lack of creativity and toothlessness up front is worrying. I think you’ve been extremely generous with your ratings, other than Holmes, Clarke and Lowe not one players deserved about a 6. Rooney was poor today, Lawrence non existent all game and Waghorn awful. We seriously need improvements in our forward options as we won’t get away with it like we did today every week. 

What game were you watching? There wasn’t anything scrappy about that match of football, it was actually an entertaining game with both teams trying to play good football on the deck. We played a good game out from the back, and for the first time 8n quite a few weeks, had some decent prolonged spells of possession where we pushed Hull back, certainly so in the last 15 of the first half. I wouldn’t say that we were at all lucky based on that, we had quite a few good attacks where without some excellent Hull defending blocking shots etc, I think we’d have had a lot more efforts on goal. Sure Hull had the odd chance as well, One they really should have scored, but they hardly should have been “out of sight”. It was a fairly even game that we just about deserved the three points from imo. 

Our lack of goals does concern me in general of course, but yesterday I really don’t think we missed any really good chances. You have to give credit to Hulls defence because they were excellent in the main. Just because they didn’t do anything standout doesn’t mean Rooney and Lawrence were poor either, they just got on with their jobs quietly, and that’s what we like to see. I agree we need more quality in the final third going forward, and some players need to be recruited there either now or in the summer, but I don’t think we can have too many complaints about yesterday.

3 hours ago, Rambalin said:

Has a former Ref myself I will try and answer your point.......before the game you tell the lino what you want from them interms of communication one of those is all I want s a indication of ball in and out of play and I will decide the  direction of the throw.It comes down to how much control you want and at a lower level for instance parks games how much trust you have in the people running the line.

One of those instructions can be look at me and I will indicate which way I want it given and it maybe just a  barely noticeable hand movement but I would suspect at this level it will be a word in the mic.

If that's the case then it's farcical. Borderline decisions where the linesman is 5 yards away but the ref is 40 must rest with the lino but these days it's as though, for every decision, they look at the ref to make sure they are in agreement. They're not frightened of the referee - it's the assessor sitting in the stand. 

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

What game were you watching? There wasn’t anything scrappy about that match of football, it was actually an entertaining game with both teams trying to play good football on the deck. We played a good game out from the back, and for the first time 8n quite a few weeks, had some decent prolonged spells of possession where we pushed Hull back, certainly so in the last 15 of the first half. I wouldn’t say that we were at all lucky based on that, we had quite a few good attacks where without some excellent Hull defending blocking shots etc, I think we’d have had a lot more efforts on goal. Sure Hull had the odd chance as well, One they really should have scored, but they hardly should have been “out of sight”. It was a fairly even game that we just about deserved the three points from imo. 

Our lack of goals does concern me in general of course, but yesterday I really don’t think we missed any really good chances. You have to give credit to Hulls defence because they were excellent in the main. Just because they didn’t do anything standout doesn’t mean Rooney and Lawrence were poor either, they just got on with their jobs quietly, and that’s what we like to see. I agree we need more quality in the final third going forward, and some players need to be recruited there either now or in the summer, but I don’t think we can have too many complaints about yesterday.

I watch the same game as the majority of people I spoke to after the game. The consensus of opinion was (by people with differing demographics) we did enough to win, wasn’t pretty, wasn’t especially good football (a bit boring) and a few players were passengers again. The view was against a better team we’d have been lucky to come away with anything.

However I know there is a section of the fan base that think this view is incorrect and we are the divisions equivalent to Barca, the sunshine’s everyday and we all love each other ?

2 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I watch the same game as the majority of people I spoke to after the game. The consensus of opinion was (by people with differing demographics) we did enough to win, wasn’t pretty, wasn’t especially good football (a bit boring) and a few players were passengers again. The view was against a better team we’d have been lucky to come away with anything.

However I know there is a section of the fan base that think this view is incorrect and we are the divisions equivalent to Barca, the sunshine’s everyday and we all love each other ?

If you’re referring to the “majority of people” as the muppets who constantly shout GERRIT FORWARD every time we make a sideways pass, and don’t understand that possession football played well is the way forward, then of course you’re gonna get that view. Anyone that understand what we’re trying to do will see that it was a step forward yesterday. Was it perfect? No, of course not. But we deserved the win against a strong Hull side, and that’s good enough for me. FWIW most people I spoke to, even those around me who are normally moaners, thought it was a good performance.

I don’t think anyone (least of all me!!) things were Barcelona, but you have to credit where credit is due. That was much better than last weekend.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

If you’re referring to the “majority of people” as the muppets who constantly shout GERRIT FORWARD every time we make a sideways pass, and don’t understand that possession football played well is the way forward, then of course you’re gonna get that view

What a terrible point of view and sweeping statement. Not everyone thinks possession football is progression and they’re opinion is as valid as yours. To call them muppets is an awful reaction, and although some maybe that way of thinking the majority actually aren’t. 
There are a million ways to play football not just the one you love so much. I actually do hate a sideways pass when there is obviously a forward pass on that may create something, what’s wrong with that? 

7 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

What a terrible point of view and sweeping statement. Not everyone thinks possession football is progression and they’re opinion is as valid as yours. To call them muppets is an awful reaction, and although some maybe that way of thinking the majority actually aren’t. 
There are a million ways to play football not just the one you love so much. I actually do hate a sideways pass when there is obviously a forward pass on that may create something, what’s wrong with that? 

The audible groan. 

3 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Another view is: A scrappy and lucky one nil win imo, Hull could of been out of sight in the 1st half. Took the game to Hull? When? Our lack of creativity and toothlessness up front is worrying. I think you’ve been extremely generous with your ratings, other than Holmes, Clarke and Lowe not one players deserved about a 6. Rooney was poor today, Lawrence non existent all game and Waghorn awful. We seriously need improvements in our forward options as we won’t get away with it like we did today every week. 

Scappy yes, Lucky not so sure, Bowen failed to hit the target from 8 yards ish, A great block by Lowe just infront of me ?, They had an opportunity when Hamer lost the ball to them only they failed to make the most of it.

I could only see a goal from a set piece(no mystic meg from me)Waghorn and Lawrence(corner)brought very little to the game, Rooney may have had a poor game in your opinion, His Captaincy, His positioning, His awareness and his encouragement to his fellow players were excellent.

Beating teams 3-4-5nil(when was that)is great, But grinding out a 1-0 win against a team that is equelly as good if not better than us makes the beer taste just as good after the game, It might not be pretty on the eye, But his makes your heart and groins all fuzzy ?

8 minutes ago, I Bought the Tee Shirt said:

Scappy yes, Lucky not so sure, Bowen failed to hit the target from 8 yards ish, A great block by Lowe just infront of me ?, They had an opportunity when Hamer lost the ball to them only they failed to make the most of it.

I could only see a goal from a set piece(no mystic meg from me)Waghorn and Lawrence(corner)brought very little to the game, Rooney may have had a poor game in your opinion, His Captaincy, His positioning, His awareness and his encouragement to his fellow players were excellent.

Beating teams 3-4-5nil(when was that)is great, But grinding out a 1-0 win against a team that is equelly as good if not better than us makes the beer taste just as good after the game, It might not be pretty on the eye, But his makes your heart and groins all fuzzy ?

I couldn’t agree more, a win is always welcome and makes the weekend 

18 minutes ago, I Bought the Tee Shirt said:

Do you mean furry?

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

You might prefer another way of football, but that’s not the one we’re going to play. I’d argue with good reason, there’s very few teams at the top who play an archaic hoofball style. I’m sure you can still play it to success, but we’re not going to. It’s as simple as that. So when we’re playing the style we’re trying to play well, then you have to give credit, not say it’s poo because it’s not the sort of football you’d want to watch. Nothing grates on me more than those booing a sideways pass. The idea that the a forwards pass is always the one most likely to create something is a very simplistic and incorrect view. Retaining possession and forcing the opposition out of position is often the far more likely route to create the space for a dangerous attack. That’s why the top teams do it, it’s not just for the sake of possession stats. Booing a sideways pass causes the players to panic and lump it, and we all know what happens when we do that...

26 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Retaining possession and forcing the opposition out of position is often the far more likely route to create the space for a dangerous attack. That’s why the top teams do it, it’s not just for the sake of possession stats. Booing a sideways pass causes the players to panic and lump it, and we all know what happens when we do that...

You are Paul Clement and I claim my £5! ?

Archived