v Hull City (H) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You are Paul Clement and I claim my £5! ?

I actually didn’t think initially that Paul Clements style was as bad as was made out in fairness?. But yeah, you don’t wanna go too far that way, possession has to be possession with a purpose. It’s the quality of movement for me that’s the difference between a side passing around and going nowhere, and a side like City. Pick up those pockets of space, and most importantly pass quickly, and no- one will be able to cope with that sort of possession play.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

You might prefer another way of football, but that’s not the one we’re going to play. I’d argue with good reason, there’s very few teams at the top who play an archaic hoofball style. I’m sure you can still play it to success, but we’re not going to. It’s as simple as that. So when we’re playing the style we’re trying to play well, then you have to give credit, not say it’s poo because it’s not the sort of football you’d want to watch. Nothing grates on me more than those booing a sideways pass. The idea that the a forwards pass is always the one most likely to create something is a very simplistic and incorrect view. Retaining possession and forcing the opposition out of position is often the far more likely route to create the space for a dangerous attack. That’s why the top teams do it, it’s not just for the sake of possession stats. Booing a sideways pass causes the players to panic and lump it, and we all know what happens when we do that...

Ok let’s get some points straight.

I am not a fan of hoofball, forward attacking exciting football yes, hoofball no

I go and watch Derby, id never boo my team, sideways/backwards pass or anything. I support them from kick off until the end of the game.

I think the current style is boring, mainly because our forward or creative players are pants.

Would I rather see a Dean Saunders running on to a through ball, yes. Would I rather see a Kinkladze beat 3 players and create something, absolutely. Does it excite me to watch Tom Huddlestone pass a 10 yard ball square to Clarke to get it back again, absolutely not. I don’t think you have to have 50 passes to creat a chance. I know the PlayStation/Champions league  generation love that and think it’s the only way, but there are others. 

Let me ask you a question. We have the chance to put Jack Marriott through in a scoring opportunity with a forward but risky pass or we can pass it side ways or back to retain possession and not risk it. Which would you choose? 

5 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

In a side note on the refereeing / linesman debate.  We lost momentum at the fifteen minute mark when a clear corner was given as a goal kick with the lino too scared to give the correct signal.

Irritating as that was, we've had much worse refereeing displays this season.

I was quite near to that and thought it was a clear goal kick. 

Apologies if this has been mentioned.

But after watching yesterday I'm more of the opinion that a winger (ideally with pace) is much more of a priority than a centre half.

I've been saying for weeks that Wisdom should be playing centre half. Nice to see him play there. You only have to look at his brothers twitter to realise that Wisdom considers his best position to be centre half. Not sure how good Benkovic is (incidentally not in Leicester's squad today) but will he be that much better than Wisdom that it's a must?

If we're signing 2 players then for me they would both be in the attacking part of the field. Cos we're lacking there massively.

30 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Let me ask you a question. We have the chance to put Jack Marriott through in a scoring opportunity with a forward but risky pass or we can pass it side ways or back to retain possession and not risk it. Which would you choose? 

And yet we put Jack Marriott through on goal about five times in a row against Barnsley? Waghorn has had his fair share of potential 1v1s in the last few weeks too, but he hasn't really got the pace to make the most of them.

3 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

And yet we put Jack Marriott through on goal about five times in a row against Barnsley? Waghorn has had his fair share of potential 1v1s in the last few weeks too, but he hasn't really got the pace to make the most of them.

For me Marriott is on the snatch anybody’s hand off if they want to buy for what we paid and double quick too 

6 hours ago, Rambalin said:

Has a former Ref myself I will try and answer your point.......before the game you tell the lino what you want from them interms of communication one of those is all I want s a indication of ball in and out of play and I will decide the  direction of the throw.It comes down to how much control you want and at a lower level for instance parks games how much trust you have in the people running the line.

One of those instructions can be look at me and I will indicate which way I want it given and it maybe just a  barely noticeable hand movement but I would suspect at this level it will be a word in the mic.

So when Bogle took the ball at least a foot over the touch line and the Lino gave nothing, it was a first for me. It is landing on “Chance” in football monopoly and the card saying “refereeing error in your favour, collect an attack on goal”.

I am sure that Lino is going to be in trouble for making a mistake in Derby’s Favour. It is unprecedented!

He did put things right when a Derby player (Knight, I think) was kicked in the face by a Hull high foot, and the Lino did absolutely nothing.

Shameful.

6 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'm still undecided. There's clearly a player in there somewhere.

Possibly but we are not in a position as a club to mess round with passengers ,it’s been our downfall since qpr final loss , too many biggish players that are never in the first team for one reason or another

16 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

He did put things right when a Derby player (Knight, I think) was kicked in the face by a Hull high foot, and the Lino did absolutely nothing.

Not to mention down by the corner flag in the 2nd half when their left back booted Holmes up the backside having swung at and missed the ball and the officials gave nothing ?

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

I actually didn’t think initially that Paul Clements style was as bad as was made out in fairness?. But yeah, you don’t wanna go too far that way, possession has to be possession with a purpose. It’s the quality of movement for me that’s the difference between a side passing around and going nowhere, and a side like City. Pick up those pockets of space, and most importantly pass quickly, and no- one will be able to cope with that sort of possession play.

Yeah but we don’t do that, it’s pretty much the same as Clements style, do you not think? 

31 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

So when Bogle took the ball at least a foot over the touch line and the Lino gave nothing, it was a first for me. It is landing on “Chance” in football monopoly and the card saying “refereeing error in your favour, collect an attack on goal”.

I am sure that Lino is going to be in trouble for making a mistake in Derby’s Favour. It is unprecedented!

Shameful.

the Lino on that side was shocking all game.

Honestly think he might have forgotten the offside rule as well

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

You might prefer another way of football, but that’s not the one we’re going to play. I’d argue with good reason, there’s very few teams at the top who play an archaic hoofball style. I’m sure you can still play it to success, but we’re not going to. It’s as simple as that. So when we’re playing the style we’re trying to play well, then you have to give credit, not say it’s poo because it’s not the sort of football you’d want to watch. Nothing grates on me more than those booing a sideways pass. The idea that the a forwards pass is always the one most likely to create something is a very simplistic and incorrect view. Retaining possession and forcing the opposition out of position is often the far more likely route to create the space for a dangerous attack. That’s why the top teams do it, it’s not just for the sake of possession stats. Booing a sideways pass causes the players to panic and lump it, and we all know what happens when we do that...

1. I've yet to see a goal scored from constant sideways passes, To score you need the ball to be moved forward at sometime.

2. Retaining possession is very simplistic, The opposition will keep their shape and let the opposing team have the ball, To create space you need to draw the team out, Unless they're losing why conceed space away from home.

All in my own opinion of course.

I believe in possession based football, but not the endless side wards and backwards passing.

to me, that’s the footballing equivalent of cricket.

its so boring that I start to nod off and miss the vital moment when something interesting happens.

England ALWAYS send me to sleep.

4 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Ok let’s get some points straight.

I am not a fan of hoofball, forward attacking exciting football yes, hoofball no

I go and watch Derby, id never boo my team, sideways/backwards pass or anything. I support them from kick off until the end of the game.

I think the current style is boring, mainly because our forward or creative players are pants.

Would I rather see a Dean Saunders running on to a through ball, yes. Would I rather see a Kinkladze beat 3 players and create something, absolutely. Does it excite me to watch Tom Huddlestone pass a 10 yard ball square to Clarke to get it back again, absolutely not. I don’t think you have to have 50 passes to creat a chance. I know the PlayStation/Champions league  generation love that and think it’s the only way, but there are others. 

That’s fair enough, I wasn’t trying to insinuate that you were one of those muppets, just that they’re not the sort of supporter we should take as holding the “majority” opinion. You’re entitled to your view about our current style of football, I don’t agree but it is what it is. My point is more aimed at those shouting throughout the match about it, which in turn disrupts our style of play, rather than giving us the chance to execute it properly and see what comes of it.

For what it’s worth, I’m sure there’s no one on here that doesn’t want to see that sort of thing when it’s on. But the point is, when it’s not on, we need to not try and force something that’s not there. When there’s no significant forward option on, then the best option is always to retain possession, move the opposition defence around, and then look for the forward option again when we have more men forward. That’s the whole point of the possession style, it’s much better than hitting a ball that isn’t on, conceding possession, and then allowing the opposition a counter attack - which we’ve really struggle to defend with our lack of pace this season. To play any other way is a bit suicidal for me. I admit I like control, which is why I favour the possession style, but I still think done properly it’s the best way forward in the modern game. It’s not about having 50 passes for every goal, it’s about making sensible decisions on the ball.

To answer your question, it depends entirely on the situation. If we’re leading then it’s less likely id want to see the risk taken than if we’re losing. But ultimately it depends on how likely it is we’ll make the pass (taking out the fact that Marriott hasn’t been able to finish his dinner recently). If it’s a good chance, then of course we should take it. And I think we have done in situations like that this season, Holmes in particular has played some blinding through balls that our impotent strike force have made a mess of. But if it’s a 1 in 100 chance then I’d rather we keep the ball, and work a better chance. It’s all about making the right decisions on the ball for me, that’s what makes a good team.

3 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Yeah but we don’t do that, it’s pretty much the same as Clements style, do you not think? 

It has been at times yes, but it was a lot quicker yesterday. That was my point about it being a progression from previous showings. Sure it wasn’t for the whole 90, and that is of course the next step, but we had strong spells of sustained possession in the opposition half. And that’s an improvement on what we’ve had until this point, which was in no small part down imo to the introduction of Wisdom, which was what allowed us to move the ball around a lot quicker out the back imo. We didn’t dawdle around so much, we passed it around with a lot more zip, and that’s what allowed us to push further forward, especially in the knowledge we had Wisdoms pace behind. That was the improvement we showed In yesterday’s performance imo. Now we need to make sure those spells in the opposition half are longer and result in more goals, that’s the key to success.

Archived