v Hull City (H) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

Saturday 18th January - Pride Park - 1500 ko

(17th v 11th)

Well I'm still on Matchday thread duty, saved in injury time for the second away league game in a row. So what can we expect from the Tigers?

They will arrive at PP on the back of a narrow home defeat to Fulham but their recent form is solid enough. Back-to-back home defeats have been offset by impressive wins at Sheff Weds and QPR in their last two away games to give them an overall away return of 19 points from 13 games (W5 D4 L4  F19 A18). Somewhat better than our own efforts on opposition soil.

The obvious threats are the impressive Bowen (17 Championship goals so far) and Grosicki (7) and I suspect only a solid 7.5/10 or better performance from the Rams will be enough to secure the points.

There are grounds for optimism, not least in our creditable home form (W7 D5 L2  F18 A11) and the chance to make it three straight wins at PP after the 2-1 wins against Charlton and Barnsley. 

Our 0-2 loss at Hull earlier this season ended a run of six unbeaten against them (W5 D1) so our overall recent form versus the Tigers is excellent. Indeed, the last three regular season games at PP have seen the Rams win 2-0, 5-0 and 4-0. We'll conveniently overlook the playoff semi first leg!

Team news: Bielik will be available after suspension and the options may of course be bolstered by any signings we make this coming week. My preferred line up certainly won't be the one we see as Lawrence, for one, will no doubt start. 

Wisdom, Malone, Bielik, Huddlestone, Sibley, Martin and Marriott could all be considered for selection. Over to you fine DCFC fans now to debate the possible line up.

Go.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hamer

Wisdom Davies Clarke Lowe

Beilik

Holmes.    Knight

Rooney

Waghorn         Marriott

No signings. 

Subs.. Bird...doesn't deserve to be dropped. Sorry Max.  Martin, close call with Waggy. And....don't know.

4 minutes ago, U.M. said:

Hamer

Wisdom Davies Clarke Lowe

Beilik

Holmes.    Knight

Rooney

Waghorn         Marriott

No signings. 

Subs.. Bird...doesn't deserve to be dropped. Sorry Max.  Martin, close call with Waggy. And....don't know.

Bird was out of his depth today so yes, maybe he does deserve a drop

Cant see Marriott coming straight back in. Personally think Wisdom should've started today but at home Bogle will offer more going forward. Dont think Bird deserves to be dropped either.

I'd go with, 4231 - 

Hamer : Bogle Davies Clarke Lowe : Bielik Bird : Knight Rooney Holmes : Waghorn

Subs : Roos Wisdom Malone Huddlestone Lawrence Martin Marriott (Whittaker if Marriott not fit)

Plenty of attacking options from the bench then if needed.

Personally think we are likely to see Bielik come in for Bird as the only change.

If Benkovic signs I could see him starting over Davies, he isnt able to play vs Northampton in the following game.

Hamer

Wisdom       Davies     Clarke      Lowe

Holmes        Bird

Waghorn           Rooney (C)          Knight 

Martin 

Subs- Roos, Bogle, Bielik, Huddlestone, Sibley, Lawrence, Marriott 

11 minutes ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

Hamer

Wisdom       Davies     Clarke      Lowe

Holmes        Bird

Waghorn           Rooney (C)          Knight 

Martin 

Subs- Roos, Bogle, Bielik, Huddlestone, Sibley, Lawrence, Marriott 

Looks good but I don't like the idea of Holmes deep, too lightweight and is much better near the opposition box.

Hamer

Wisdom  Davies Clarke Lowe 

Holmes  Bird  Rooney  Knight

Lawrence 

Martin 

Think we will see the best out of Lawrence just behind Martin, if he  can't play well linking up with Martin with Bird and Rooney playing balls into him from behind he is never going to cut it, this would be the only way I can see him contributing to the team and turning things around.  Martin should play,  he will have a point to prove as its against Hull where he struggled to make an impact and we need his touch and linkup play at home more. I like the flat 4 in midfield as we played it against Charlton and it was the best I have seen us play this season, Knight is effective as LM in a narrow 4 and so is Holmes who can bomb up and down and put crosses in. Bird should play as Bielik doesn't deserve to start over him plain and simple, and Wisdom is much more solid than Bogle and we are up against Grosicki so I don't fancy Bogle for that match up and although Wisdom is less skilful he has much better crosses than Bogle on the whole, who usually tries too much or doesn't see the right option. 

1 minute ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

I prefer him carrying the ball from deep, doesn’t have the end product to be a ten.

I'd like to see him as a RM in a 442 that could be his position for me,  saw him make a lot of marauding runs down the right flank vs Charlton and he looks dangerous running at fullbacks , through the middle he isn't good enough becuase he lacks shooting ability for a 10 and for a holder I would rather see others play over him so we are more solid. 

Will be a tough game this. Hull have some damn good attacking talent, and have had a decent season so far. Very strong side. But, if you’re gonna do anything in this division, you’ve gotta be getting wins in your home games, so this really needs to be an efficient three points to us if we want to show we’ve turned a corner. Team for me:

Roos

Bogle Wisdom Davies Lowe

Bird Rooney

Holmes Lawrence Knight

Martin

Roos in for Hamer because the latter simply cannot pass. We can’t keep conceding possession as often as we do from goal kicks, and his slow play on the ball is harming our play out from the back. Roos is much better on the ball, and Hamer hasn’t looked much better off it, so think overall Roos has to have the shirt. Centre half is one I’m sure no one will agree with... but I can’t help but feel we’re a bit slow and ponderous with both Clarke and Davies in there. We seem to get cut open too often through the middle because we lack pace In recovery at the core of our defence, and I think that’s a big part of us conceding so many penalties. Wisdom isn’t exactly Tomori, but he’s a fair bit more mobile and he’s got experience in centre half. So I really would be tempted to put him in there and see if it improves things, while we wait for a new centre half. Harsh on Clarke to leave him out as I do rate him, but someone has to miss out, and for the sake of my anxiety with some of his tackles I’ve chosen him!

In terms of the rest of the team, Rooney obviously retains his place as captain, but his performances need to be much better than he showed today. I’m sure Cocu will tell him he expects better, and I’m sure Wayne himself knows that wasn’t up to scratch today. Lawrence gets his last chance for me, has to show some fight or he’s shown the door. Waghorn had a poor game down to his bank first touch, so Martin gets the nod over him for me. He’s much better at holding the ball up still.

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Will be a tough game this. Hull have some damn good attacking talent, and have had a decent season so far. Very strong side. But, if you’re gonna do anything in this division, you’ve gotta be getting wins in your home games, so this really needs to be an efficient three points to us if we want to show we’ve turned a corner. Team for me:

Roos

Bogle Wisdom Davies Lowe

Bird Rooney

Holmes Lawrence Knight

Martin

Roos in for Hamer because the latter simply cannot pass. We can’t keep conceding possession as often as we do from goal kicks, and his slow play on the ball is harming our play out from the back. Roos is much better on the ball, and Hamer hasn’t looked much better off it, so think overall Roos has to have the shirt. Centre half is one I’m sure no one will agree with... but I can’t help but feel we’re a bit slow and ponderous with both Clarke and Davies in there. We seem to get cut open too often through the middle because we lack pace In recovery at the core of our defence, and I think that’s a big part of us conceding so many penalties. Wisdom isn’t exactly Tomori, but he’s a fair bit more mobile and he’s got experience in centre half. So I really would be tempted to put him in there and see if it improves things, while we wait for a new centre half. Harsh on Clarke to leave him out as I do rate him, but someone has to miss out, and for the sake of my anxiety with some of his tackles I’ve chosen him!

In terms of the rest of the team, Rooney obviously retains his place as captain, but his performances need to be much better than he showed today. I’m sure Cocu will tell him he expects better, and I’m sure Wayne himself knows that wasn’t up to scratch today. Lawrence gets his last chance for me, has to show some fight or he’s shown the door. Waghorn had a poor game down to his bank first touch, so Martin gets the nod over him for me. He’s much better at holding the ball up still.

Interesting that you have the exact same midfield as me in the same sort of roles  , although I have mine in a 4411 not a 4231 just becuase I want to see us press more , and want to see Rooney a little more advanced. I also thought about Roos playing, but I think we should stick with some continuity now things are going relatively well.  Wisdom for Clarke is an interesting one as well, not sure I would go for that though as it is a risky one  as he hasn't played there for ages, I would just play him right back and bench Bogle TBH.

7 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Interesting that you have the exact same midfield as me in the same sort of roles  , although I have mine in a 4411 not a 4231 just becuase I want to see us press more , and want to see Rooney a little more advanced. I also thought about Roos playing, but I think we should stick with some continuity now things are going relatively well.  Wisdom for Clarke is an interesting one as well, not sure I would go for that though as it is a risky one  as he hasn't played there for ages, I would just play him right back and bench Bogle TBH.

Yeah that’s just the way I’ve written the team sheet in fairness, it doesn’t totally reflect the actual playing positions when we’re on the attack. Rooney would obviously be the more advanced of the deeper midfielders. I suspect most probably go along with your line of thinking on everything else, and Cocu too perhaps, and I understand why. Just trying to think of ways we can stop the absurd number of pens we’re conceding really. On the RB position I think Bogle will retain it mind, he wasn’t great today but he wasn’t as bad as I saw some say in the match thread, he was no worse than average. I retain hope he’ll find his form going forward once our strikers get their shooting boots on.

Hamer

bogle.    Davies.     Clarke.      Lowe

Rooney.     Bird

holmes.         Knight.       Sibley

Marriott

6 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Hamer

Bogle       Davies       Roos    Lowe

Bielik        Bird

Holmes     Rooney   Knight

Martin

Wow, Roos at centre half. Now that is a curve ball. Bit harsh on Clarke though.

Archived