v Hull City (H) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

Think some are actually understating some of the qualities we showed in that performance, certainly in terms of progression from previous showings. The way we approached the game was so much better imo. Unlike the first half against Middlesbrough, we came out with a much more positive attitude, and took the game to Hull, which made for an end to end start to the match. It’s Much better when we actually take the game to the opposition, and press on them playing out the back. We actually managed to do that today with Success, certainly towards the end of the first half and start of the second. Crucially, we actually focused on playing our natural game today, rather than trying to stop the opposition. We were so much better, and quicker, playing our the back and that contributed to us having much longer spells of pressure in possession. Much more the style of play that I like to see. Well done to Cocu, certainly cheered me up after this week.

The introduction of Wisdom was the standout difference for me, he was absolutely excellent in possession, moving the ball quickly and precisely. I’ll take the credit for that, no way Cocu thinks it up without seeing my post on here?. The moving of Holmes deeper alongside Huddlestone worked nicely as well, they had a better balance than we’ve seen recently and we get the best out of Holmes there. Gives us much more creativity in the middle of the park with Holmes running forward from deep. Overall for me the result and clean sheet particularly today was an excellent days work for us, given the speed and attacking qualities of Hull. Ratings for me:

Hamer 7- Did nothing wrong in goal, but distribution leaves a fair bit to be desired 

Bogle 7- As usual always on the ball, carrying it out of defence and got into good positions going forward linking up with Knight. It was mainly good defending by Hull that stopped his impact for me today. He really did run his arse off against some tough opponents defensively so credit where credit is due.

Wisdom 7- Docked a point for a nearly suicidal mistake, but his passing was excellent otherwise and made a real difference. Aerially he worries me but we’ll see if it’s a problem moving forward.

Clarke 8 MOM- Absolute man mountain in defence taking the mantle from Davies, and a very well controlled header to get the win as well. One of his best performances yet on the ball too, he looked to be growing in confidence which is good to see.

Lowe 7- Quieter than usual going forward, but stopped Bowen which was his main job, so job very well done

Huddlestone 7- As always his distribution really helps with our passing out the back. Speed is still a concern, but after a couple of early mis hit passes, he looked back to his fully fit controlled self

Holmes 8- Another MOM contender, he was at the centre of everything good we had going forward. Still could do with a better final pass, but he’s so much better driving from deep, and we play better as a team as a result.

Knight 7- A quiet first 70 minutes was superseded by an outstanding last 20, when his battle and desire to win the ball probably kept hold of all 3 points.

Rooney 7- Similar to Knight, a quiet start but towards the end his influence grew and he kept us in control of the match until the final whistle with some good hold up and link play to retain possession.

Lawrence 8- Much improved, more mature performance. Focused on his job rather than the headlines, and did a very good job as a team player

Waghorn 6- Battled well when the ball did come to him, but I’m not convinced he takes up the best positions up top. Still feels like a winger to me.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

The standard of the refs and linesmen is depressingly poor. I've never known such weak, indecisive, out of their depth officials as I've seen this season.

Linesmen who see a ball go out of play and then wait for the ref to indicate which way before flagging.....wtf is that all about, I just don't get it and it boils my piss more than it should at my age.....surely, if the ball goes out of play the Lino should just flag for what he's seen, not what the ref has seen...I don't get it, at least twice the Lino looked at the ref and kept his flag down until the ref indicated which way to give it...why can't the Lino give what he sees, why does he wait for guidance from the ref who had a worse view of it.......I'd love to know what instructions linesmen get....it must be, "don't give a throw in until you've checked with me which way we want this game to go", why else would a Lino wait....are they instructed by referees to not give decisions? 

If I was in the West Stand today, I would have wet the end of my tartan rug , whipped the linesman legs with it like flicking a towel in the changing room then impaled the banker with my flask.

This happens quite often and I thought it was just me being a grumpy old sod by letting it get to me. It just renders the lino as being pointless for being there. Can only be that there is some kind of directive in that respect. Either that or there are a lot of weak linesman out there that haven't the balls to make their own decisions.

In respect of the game, I thought there were a lot of solid performances out there today. A real team effort to get the 3pts without being particularly outstanding. The one piece of outstanding play for me was Max Lowes block to stop a certain goal for Bowen. The lad has a real talent for reading the game in that respect.

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

The one piece of outstanding play for me was Max Lowes block to stop a certain goal for Bowen. The lad has a real talent for reading the game in that respect.

I forgot about this, you're bang on that was a great block. He's really surprised me this season, to me he's playing much better than Bogle. 

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

The standard of the refs and linesmen is depressingly poor. I've never known such weak, indecisive, out of their depth officials as I've seen this season.

Linesmen who see a ball go out of play and then wait for the ref to indicate which way before flagging.....wtf is that all about, I just don't get it and it boils my piss more than it should at my age.....surely, if the ball goes out of play the Lino should just flag for what he's seen, not what the ref has seen...I don't get it, at least twice the Lino looked at the ref and kept his flag down until the ref indicated which way to give it...why can't the Lino give what he sees, why does he wait for guidance from the ref who had a worse view of it.......I'd love to know what instructions linesmen get....it must be, "don't give a throw in until you've checked with me which way we want this game to go", why else would a Lino wait....are they instructed by referees to not give decisions? 

If I was in the West Stand today, I would have wet the end of my tartan rug , whipped the linesman legs with it like flicking a towel in the changing room then impaled the banker with my flask.

Has a former Ref myself I will try and answer your point.......before the game you tell the lino what you want from them interms of communication one of those is all I want s a indication of ball in and out of play and I will decide the  direction of the throw.It comes down to how much control you want and at a lower level for instance parks games how much trust you have in the people running the line.

One of those instructions can be look at me and I will indicate which way I want it given and it maybe just a  barely noticeable hand movement but I would suspect at this level it will be a word in the mic.

6 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Think some are actually understating some of the qualities we showed in that performance, certainly in terms of progression from previous showings. The way we approached the game was so much better imo. Unlike the first half against Middlesbrough, we came out with a much more positive attitude, and took the game to Hull, which made for an end to end start to the match. It’s Much better when we actually take the game to the opposition, and press on them playing out the back. We actually managed to do that today with Success, certainly towards the end of the first half and start of the second. Crucially, we actually focused on playing our natural game today, rather than trying to stop the opposition. We were so much better, and quicker, playing our the back and that contributed to us having much longer spells of pressure in possession. Much more the style of play that I like to see. Well done to Cocu, certainly cheered me up after this week.

The introduction of Wisdom was the standout difference for me, he was absolutely excellent in possession, moving the ball quickly and precisely. I’ll take the credit for that, no way Cocu thinks it up without seeing my post on here?. The moving of Holmes deeper alongside Huddlestone worked nicely as well, they had a better balance than we’ve seen recently and we get the best out of Holmes there. Gives us much more creativity in the middle of the park with Holmes running forward from deep. Overall for me the result and clean sheet particularly today was an excellent days work for us, given the speed and attacking qualities of Hull. Ratings for me:

Hamer 7- Did nothing wrong in goal, but distribution leaves a fair bit to be desired 

Bogle 7- As usual always on the ball, carrying it out of defence and got into good positions going forward linking up with Knight. It was mainly good defending by Hull that stopped his impact for me today. He really did run his arse off against some tough opponents defensively so credit where credit is due.

Wisdom 7- Docked a point for a nearly suicidal mistake, but his passing was excellent otherwise and made a real difference. Aerially he worries me but we’ll see if it’s a problem moving forward.

Clarke 8 MOM- Absolute man mountain in defence taking the mantle from Davies, and a very well controlled header to get the win as well. One of his best performances yet on the ball too, he looked to be growing in confidence which is good to see.

Lowe 7- Quieter than usual going forward, but stopped Bowen which was his main job, so job very well done

Huddlestone 7- As always his distribution really helps with our passing out the back. Speed is still a concern, but after a couple of early mis hit passes, he looked back to his fully fit controlled self

Holmes 8- Another MOM contender, he was at the centre of everything good we had going forward. Still could do with a better final pass, but he’s so much better driving from deep, and we play better as a team as a result.

Knight 7- A quiet first 70 minutes was superseded by an outstanding last 20, when his battle and desire to win the ball probably kept hold of all 3 points.

Rooney 7- Similar to Knight, a quiet start but towards the end his influence grew and he kept us in control of the match until the final whistle with some good hold up and link play to retain possession.

Lawrence 8- Much improved, more mature performance. Focused on his job rather than the headlines, and did a very good job as a team player

Waghorn 6- Battled well when the ball did come to him, but I’m not convinced he takes up the best positions up top. Still feels like a winger to me.

Another view is: A scrappy and lucky one nil win imo, Hull could of been out of sight in the 1st half. Took the game to Hull? When? Our lack of creativity and toothlessness up front is worrying. I think you’ve been extremely generous with your ratings, other than Holmes, Clarke and Lowe not one players deserved about a 6. Rooney was poor today, Lawrence non existent all game and Waghorn awful. We seriously need improvements in our forward options as we won’t get away with it like we did today every week. 

1 minute ago, Carnero said:

No they didn't.

Yes they did.
We had zero, we won which is fantastic but let’s not gloss it up as an amazing victory giving players 8 out of 10....come on even the Rose tinted happy clappers must admit that 

4 minutes ago, Carnero said:

No they didn't.

Dont forget the 'OOOOHHHH' from the Hull end when a ball feebly dropped unto the arms of Hamer in the first half...that must have been worth 3 goals at least ,?

7 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Yes I know, I said we had none 1st half.

... and they had one.

I thought we had a few good chances 1st half at least. The Jason Knight shot which was parried by the keeper....And the one where Waghorns shot hit the defender and cannoned back into him and out for a goal kick, either of those a bit of luck either way and could have been a goal.

Seem to recall another one too when it was saved and out into the box and went wide of Lawrence by about a foot...another chance.

Their obvious chance was that miss, they had another shot from distance similar to Knights shot.

Out of sight to me means 3,4,5 nil....no way were Hull worthy, or even had the chances to be that far ahead. One of those matches, they could have gone in 1-0 up easily, so could we......

Must be something in the water about beating Hull. Still remember the thread when GR was in charge and we beat them 5-0 and there was people on here saying we were lucky not to get hammered.

16 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Was just going to comment on this. Seems weird not to have brought anyone on. I'm surprised neither Davies nor Bird have made an appearance to add to some late solidity but withdraw 10 yards inviting pressure. PSV fans suggested that was often the way of seeing out games. Fine if it works. But good to know fitness/energy levels seem decent.

They train all day under Cocu, under Frank just did morning session. Perhaps helps energy levels?  

Hard fought 3 points against a team who I thought looked better than us on the day ,at times they looked very much like the home team ,that said it’s good to win when your not playing great , 

we are getting a bit better off the ball but on it we are still too slow in our passing and movement with decision making and execution in the final third very poor ,

somebody needs to tell our lads in no uncertain terms that although we want to play out from the back they must NEVER play the ball back into central congested areas in our final third from wide ish unless they are 1000% sure that they can complete the pass properly and the player they are passing to has options and is not under massive pressure,

wins a wins and we have momentum, for me cocu is doing a decent job ,,, our young lads are starting to figure and special praise to knight , boy is going to be a player at this rate

9 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Infuriating to watch but you have to assume they’re talking on the mouth piece. 

Thought Rooney was right when he berated the referee - although lucky to not get booked for his reaction. Certain penalty from my view. Completely blocked off with no attempt for the ball. 

I agree that the first half in particular was poor, and while we improved in the second, overall it was a fairly pedestrian performance... certainly not awful, but not brilliant... but to suggest Hull could have been ‘out of sight’ in the first half is nonsense.  They had one really good chance.  We actually probably created more, although ours were ‘half chances’.  

We probably just about deserved it in the end.  I’m surprised at some of the praise being given to Lawrence, who I thought was poor (again, a better second half, but that wouldn’t have been difficult).  

First half we reverted to our passing across the back default and - a bug bear of mine - the ‘pass it back whence it came’ safety first pass, which ignores the option of turning to face the opposition and moving it forward.  They cut a lot of that out in the second half, which again shows to me that Cocu is good at sorting problems out as they arise.  

Some good performances though.  Holmes, Knight, Clarke in particular.  Still, despite some negatives, still pretty happy overall.

Archived