Curtis Davies - 12 month contract extension

Bubbles

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think this is well deserved. been good for us.

Reckon he'll retire next year and even if he has a change of heart at the end of the season and wants to finish his career elsewhere, atleast we can get a couple quid for him still.

1 minute ago, cannable said:

So have we given him a new contract or has he triggered one? Which is it? 

Think it's like Huddlestones where he plays x amount of games and there is an automatic clause so in theory we did give it him although it is triggered

Hmm, I’m really not sure this is a good move if it’s been done by us, rather than automatically. He’s still a top class out and out defender, so a part of me would like to keep him around for that. He’s still one of the best aerially and reading the game in the division, and certainly one of the best we’ve had in my lifetime. But he’s gonna be 35 next season. You just can’t justify a playing contract for him at his age for me, I can’t see with his pace declining that he’ll be good enough for us anymore, he’ll be too exposed despite his defensive abilities. I’d like to keep him around the club as a coach if he fancies it because he seems a great character with good knowledge, but not as a player. We need younger legs at centre half. 

Don’t mind this. He’s known to be a good guy around the dressing room and is a good leader. Clarke will be going back at the end of the season so Davies is ‘our’ only centre back. We still need a couple of new younger centre backs though in addition to this

My bet is that because of injuries he has triggered a clause regarding games played , double edged sword really as we may not have wanted to extend but we would have been in a fair bit of bother if he hadn’t been around to cover our devastating ch crisis 

Thinking about next season, we are lacking first, second, third and fourth choice CB's. I'm fine with Davies being third or fourth, seems to be good pro to have around and teach the kids on and off the pitch behavior. 

Cocu has called for professionalism multiple times and he fits the bill.

A quality defender - who gets a lot of bad press because of the passing aspects of his game - which are certainly not as poor as some would have you believe. As others have said, reads the game so well and is a right place/right time defender - not a last ditch tackle man - so less reliant on pace to get him out of trouble. Yes, he is in the twilight of his career and is not the long term answer - but I think Curtis Davies is a leader and a team player. He doesn’t throw his toys out when he’s not involved. Having him around the squad as back up and for younger players to learn off can only be a good thing IMO.  

He's an ideal player to keep around the squad as a backup centre back and an unofficial leader off the field.

2 first choice centre backs coming in the Summer, with Davies, (Bielik, Evans & Wisdom) as the backup sounds about right.

38 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Hmm, I’m really not sure this is a good move if it’s been done by us, rather than automatically.

Not being funny, but how on earth could it be a bad move for us if it was done on our terms? Do you really think we’d negotiate a bad deal?

6 minutes ago, Carnero said:

He's an ideal player to keep around the squad as a backup centre back and an unofficial leader off the field.

2 first choice centre backs coming in the Summer, with Davies, (Bielik, Evans & Wisdom) as the backup sounds about right.

This,a million quid is probably good business for the club for a year.

Certainly worthy of 12 months as cover.

He's now played 21 games this season (all competitions), so I wouldn't be surprised if the 20th triggered an extension, which isn't ideal in terms of wages.
I would have offered him a new deal regardless to stay on as 3rd choice and as an experienced leader in the dressing room - although I'd expect his wages to be halved in this case.
Considering he had 6 months left on his deal, he was free to talk to foreign clubs, so there's still a strong chance it was a contract offer rather than an appearance based extension. I'll choose to believe this 2nd option.

Archived