Curtis Davies - 12 month contract extension

Bubbles

7 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

£20k a week for a back-up defender is horrifically high for a championship club. 

I would have thought it would be on reduced terms and as yet he's not really a back-up. By and large I think Curtis has been a grand servant to the club and I'm ok with the extension as I think he has a year in him at least if needs be. I think he's pretty much earned this new deal in all honesty.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Squid said:

Wayne Rooney is going to be 35 next season tbf

Yes, but as with many players of this age, He'll be moved further back on the pitch, where he can adjust to the slower pace.

I presume this is the plan for Davies too... and it'll save us a tidy sum, not having to sign a new keeper!  ?

If we signed someone for £1M and paid them £10k/week that would be £1.5M per year vs £1M for £20k/week over a year.

£1M would not be much for a quality starting centre half in champ so £20kish (if true would not be bad if you can get another year out of him).

Gives us some time to sign a younger “development project” centre back without needing to fully rely on them .

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I would have thought it would be on reduced terms and as yet he's not really a back-up. By and large I think Curtis has been a grand servant to the club and I'm ok with the extension as I think he has a year in him at least if needs be. I think he's pretty much earned this new deal in all honesty.

As a reduced terms back-up he would be excellent cover and he has been a good servant in his time here. If the extension has been triggered by appearances then good luck to him.

In terms of the wages value, then I doubt he would command half the wage that he did two years ago so he would not be representing good value I feel - a bit like Darren Bent two years ago.

However, there is nothing that can be done about it now so we should makes the most of his experience. 

He was told he wasn’t part of PC’s plans at the start of the season but has stepped into a bit of a crisis situation and been ok... most of the time. Personally I think he’s well past his best and only just good enough this year let alone next year - do we really want ‘just’ good enough? He isn’t the player to get us up, that’s for sure. 

As a pro he’s a great guy but if he’s costing £20k pw then that’s holding up the development of youngsters or holding us back on bringing someone else in. We’ve  got to look past this season and for that reason I think it’s a bad call (if we actually had a choice, that is). 

2 hours ago, Raich Van Carter said:

As a pro he’s a great guy but if he’s costing £20k pw then that’s holding up the development of youngsters or holding us back on bringing someone else in. We’ve  got to look past this season and for that reason I think it’s a bad call (if we actually had a choice, that is). 

In the scheme of things£20k pw isn't that big a deal and if he's earnt it then fine. Didn't we (some) say the same about Huddz contract extension?

8 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Yet you'd still get rid??  Strange...

Pace doesn't matter a jot if you can read the game well.  How many times has the opposition got in behind us this season, other than Fozzy & Bogle gifting it to them??  Paul McGrath was slower than my nan but he did as much as anyone to keep us that first season back in the Prem under Kim Smith.

Can't imagine he's on that much money either, so not an issue at all with me.  Sure Cocu is glad he's around as well.

I get what you mean don’t get me wrong. As I say I can see the argument for keeping him, based on his ability to do what he does best. And I do agree to an extent about the pace thing, certainly in certain styles of football. But I just think if we’re gonna be playing slow centre mids like Huddlestone and Rooney, then we’ll be better with faster centre halves behind to cover them, like Tomori last season. And there’s also the potential issue of whether Davies comes back the same player after another pre season, often players decline at his age. 

As I say, I can see the argument for keeping him and I won’t argue with anyone who agrees with it. I just think he’d be better suited to a season playing first team at league one, where his pace may be less exposed.

10 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

In the scheme of things£20k pw isn't that big a deal and if he's earnt it then fine. Didn't we (some) say the same about Huddz contract extension?

Difference for me is that Huddz has always been slow and immobile so age less of a factor than Davies who really does seem to run like an old man at times. 

If we’re loaded / not up against FFP then as you say, perhaps not a factor, but if we are struggling then its not ideal. 

For the record; really not knocking Davies. Just don’t think he’s Cocu’s sort of player and doesn’t suit his system of playing it out from the back. 

12 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I get what you mean don’t get me wrong. As I say I can see the argument for keeping him, based on his ability to do what he does best. And I do agree to an extent about the pace thing, certainly in certain styles of football. But I just think if we’re gonna be playing slow centre mids like Huddlestone and Rooney, then we’ll be better with faster centre halves behind to cover them, like Tomori last season. And there’s also the potential issue of whether Davies comes back the same player after another pre season, often players decline at his age. 

As I say, I can see the argument for keeping him and I won’t argue with anyone who agrees with it. I just think he’d be better suited to a season playing first team at league one, where his pace may be less exposed.

We needed Tomori last season cus Frank loved playing a high line.  Cocu not so much.  He may not be first choice come the end of this window, bnut you can't underestimate the value of experience in and around the squad.

18 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

If we signed someone for £1M and paid them £10k/week that would be £1.5M per year vs £1M for £20k/week over a year.

£1M would not be much for a quality starting centre half in champ so £20kish (if true would not be bad if you can get another year out of him).

Gives us some time to sign a younger “development project” centre back without needing to fully rely on them .

Good point. Is there any difference FFP-wise between spending on transfer fees and wages though?

Archived