Curtis Davies - 12 month contract extension

Bubbles

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His passing is okay enough if there’s a centre back to the side of him that’s competent on the ball

Him and Forsyth next to each other is just a bit too clunky

Realistically if he left this coming summer we would need to buy or loan at least three centre backs, which is a position that absolutely nobody would want to be in

5 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

Could it be another of those get-round-the-FFP-balloon-payment contracts that we offered to Johnson, Butterfield and co last year?

Doubt it. £500k transfer fee plus agent/loyalty fees spread over his 3 years is a lot different to the £10m+ fees for the two former players you mention.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Doubt it. £500k transfer fee plus agent/loyalty fees spread over his 3 years is a lot different to the £10m+ fees for the two former players you mention.

Yep, it was reported that he had a £500k relegation release clause at Hull. Bargain.

Not sure why they had his so low, when Huddlestone's was a more reasonable £2.5m.

Wont be first choice next season and will be good to have as an experienced back up. I do however think he will still leave in the summer, to Luton, always has said he would like to go back and finish his career there and he doesnt have too many seasons left in him. If this deal means we can get a little bit of money for him then thats not a bad thing.

46 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Yep, it was reported that he had a £500k relegation release clause at Hull. Bargain.

Not sure why they had his so low, when Huddlestone's was a more reasonable £2.5m.

Relegation clauses are negotiated by the player/agent - perhaps he thought having a clause that low would encourage another PL club come in for him?

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Relegation clauses are negotiated by the player/agent - perhaps he thought having a clause that low would encourage another PL club come in for him?

We also managed to get Ince for a bargain from Hull as they put a low future fee in when we loaned him. Whoever signs that sort of stuff over there had an absolute shocker.

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

We also managed to get Ince for a bargain from Hull as they put a low future fee in when we loaned him. Whoever signs that sort of stuff over there had an absolute shocker.

Clearly just pushovers when it comes to the players/agent demands.

Perhaps they had to give in to stuff like that in order to persuade players to actually play for Hull ? 

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Hmm, I’m really not sure this is a good move if it’s been done by us, rather than automatically. He’s still a top class out and out defender, so a part of me would like to keep him around for that. He’s still one of the best aerially and reading the game in the division, and certainly one of the best we’ve had in my lifetime. But he’s gonna be 35 next season. You just can’t justify a playing contract for him at his age for me, I can’t see with his pace declining that he’ll be good enough for us anymore, he’ll be too exposed despite his defensive abilities. I’d like to keep him around the club as a coach if he fancies it because he seems a great character with good knowledge, but not as a player. We need younger legs at centre half. 

Yet you'd still get rid??  Strange...

Pace doesn't matter a jot if you can read the game well.  How many times has the opposition got in behind us this season, other than Fozzy & Bogle gifting it to them??  Paul McGrath was slower than my nan but he did as much as anyone to keep us that first season back in the Prem under Kim Smith.

Can't imagine he's on that much money either, so not an issue at all with me.  Sure Cocu is glad he's around as well.

The guy seems like a great pro and a good influence around the place. Something we need after the season we’ve had so far and with so many young lads in the squad he is surely a good influence. I wouldn’t expect him to be first choice next season but I think Cocu wants these kind of leaders on the training ground day in day out. I thought it was telling that Cocu mentioned Curtis was part of the captaincy group when giving Rooney the armband.  Obviously respects the guy. He’s also done a good job since being back in the team. I like the him so I’m all for another years contract.

4 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Hmm, I’m really not sure this is a good move if it’s been done by us, rather than automatically. He’s still a top class out and out defender, so a part of me would like to keep him around for that. He’s still one of the best aerially and reading the game in the division, and certainly one of the best we’ve had in my lifetime. But he’s gonna be 35 next season. You just can’t justify a playing contract for him at his age for me, I can’t see with his pace declining that he’ll be good enough for us anymore, he’ll be too exposed despite his defensive abilities. I’d like to keep him around the club as a coach if he fancies it because he seems a great character with good knowledge, but not as a player. We need younger legs at centre half. 

Wayne Rooney is going to be 35 next season tbf

12 minutes ago, Squid said:

Wayne Rooney is going to be 35 next season tbf

He’s a special case though. Even without taking into account he was formally world class so is likely to be good at this level longer than your average player, the fact he’s such a big name means him being here is actually of financial benefit to us. We’d be foolish not to keep him as long as he wants to continue playing. And he’s a coach as well, which means we don’t just have to consider his contribution on the pitch. Davies is a more ‘normal’ case.

Happy to keep him on for another season, he's been a rock for us this season especially after Joinersgate!

I think he's got one more season in him at this level as a rotation option and that's before we factor in the fact that he'll possibly be the only out and out CB that we own at the end of the season. 

I don't think he'll play as much next year but will come in and do a good solid job when needed, maybe making 15-20 appearances as long as we don't have another injury crisis. He's good around the club by all accounts and can pass some experience on to the younger players. 

All's good in the hood!

Archived