v Middlesbrough (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

Well, that was predictably shocking. When you thought last week we’d turned a corner, that was just like every other away league match since Huddersfield. Pathetic lack of effort from the players once again. What it is about this group of players and not bothering trying when we go away from home. There’s no energy, no pressing, no movement, nothing. We’re just standing there while Boro play round us. Absolutely awful. Players need to take a long hard look at themselves. 

Distribution from the back has been a massive problem as well. Hamer literally can’t kick, we can’t persist with him. And we keep picking the wrong options, gifting possession away in our own half. You’d think we’d be making better decisions in that respect by this point of the season. And don’t even get me started on Lawrence, literally everything he’s done has turned to bank, waste of a shirt as per.

Second half better be a massive improvement because this is awful. No improvement on the likes of Blackburn and Reading so far. Boro don’t look infallible, if we work a bit harder and actually press them we might get some joy.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What gets my goat is that the commentator says that there are 6 Mid academy players on the pitch.

Yet OUR academy is by far one of the top in the country and, as well as winning the U18s last year, are currently top of the U23s.

So why can’t we play OUR academy players to the same level, why is there no Sibley (Even on the bench), for example?

Then, of the players actually on the pitch, why are Bird and Knight currently looking like they couldn’t trap a bag of cement?

I’m having reservations about Cocu’s ability to get the best out of our youth. I’ve also got reservations he even knows where the opposition goal is, as we seem to be happy going sideways and backwards.

FFS Derby could you please actually ATTACK in the 2nd half!

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

No. You began by defending a player whose consistent selection when he offers very little is entirely questionable and indeed is being questioned by a large number of fans who watch him. Then you justified it by saying "good" managers are picking him so he must deserve his place.  Well he doesn't deserved his place. That is my opinion and the opinion of many and it's based on evidence. I'm not sure what your opinion is other than to defend a player without anything other than flimsy evidence. 

Your right 

he doesn’t deserve his place 

he’s been shocking .... for a long time now 

Just now, Ellafella said:

No. You began by defending a player whose consistent selection when he offers very little is entirely questionable and indeed is being questioned by a large number of fans who watch him. Then you justified it by saying "good" managers are picking him so he must deserve his place.  Well he doesn't deserved his place. That is my opinion and the opinion of many and it's based on evidence. I'm not sure what your opinion is other than to defend a player without anything other than flimsy evidence. 

No. You began by picking out the selection of Lawrence because he would get a yellow card and do nothing. I made a silly joke, you responded by doubling down on your criticism of Lawrence. I said that our previous three managers, two of which are doing very well for themselves would be interested in your opinion. You then started making weird comments that they’ve “not achieved anything.” I then said that they clearly have and by this point we aren’t even arguing about Lawrence any more.

Incidentally I don’t mind Lawrence. He frustrates me as I think he can offer more but is clearly very talented.

Anyway, I am incredibly bored of this conversation and I would hope for your own sake that you are too. Let’s hope things improve in the second half and enjoy the rest of your weekend ??

Today was a day for wisdom and Huddlestone to play! A bit of experience to ensure you’re solid as a unit. Could have played 

Hamer 

wisdom Davies Clarke Lowe 

Huddlestone bird 

Holmes      Rooney.      Knight 

Waghorn 

players that will work and ensure we don’t get rolled over with enough quality to get the winner. Games like these where I miss a Rowett type performance, set up to win the game! 

4 minutes ago, Birdyabroad said:

What gets my goat is that the commentator says that there are 6 Mid academy players on the pitch.

Yet OUR academy is by far one of the top in the country and, as well as winning the U18s last year, are currently top of the U23s.

So why can’t we play OUR academy players to the same level, why is there no Sibley (Even on the bench), for example?

Then, of the players actually on the pitch, why are Bird and Knight currently looking like they couldn’t trap a bag of cement?

I’m having reservations about Cocu’s ability to get the best out of our youth. I’ve also got reservations he even knows where the opposition goal is, as we seem to be happy going sideways and backwards.

FFS Derby could you please actually ATTACK in the 2nd half!

This is a tad dramatic lol

5 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

Radio Derby put an overly negative spin on everything, even this performance.

Lmao ... well that’s rubbish

ramage and Dawes gush when we win or play well.

its called passion for their club, as fans like us that’s what I want to hear from my local radio station 

out of interest how could anybody talk about that performance in a positive light ??

if u can .. other than we’re not dead and buried I’ll buy your season ticket for next year 

Lots of Derby possession to start the half, around Boro's area. A couple of blocked shots but yet to work a true opening yet. Derby corner.

8 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Cocu won a few didn’t he?

If that’s a barometer there’s very few good managers going anyway so don’t really understand your point. I just think their opinions are very relevant as they have all been good managers in this league or elsewhere. By all means choose this hill to die on if you wish but I would say at least half of our squad are a waste of time, so my issue is more the consistent picking out of Lawrence by you and many others. 

I'm one of the many others, The reason is is that Lawrence has ability i've witnessed this, BUT, Since a tradgedy in his family there's been a dramatic decline in his performances, Is there a link?

Imo he needs a fresh location, Another team where he may have a better rapore with supporters and players, There are players(i've been told)that have no time for him since Joinergate, Cocu is perserveering with him in the hope the talent he's shown comes to the fore.

Somehow Derby fans which includes me have lost patience with him.

Archived