The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Jeez that is depressing. Well Fox News think he is a good man at least.

Well they would when he outs CNN as being elitist ? I’m pretty non political, just thought the man who was largely behind the Leave campaign, should be heard on leaving Europe.

Being ambivalent to most things political and politicians, it’s the fear smear I find interesting from whatever viewpoint. Having met a fair few, they all seem quite self serving bigots; is Farage any different?

However, I think he is right we are entering a new era of populism, for me the right wing have a growing voice in Europe because of it, something that left wing politics is struggling to contend with.

Once heard Farage speak at an investment event. If you take out the politics, he speaks with a passion and calmness that gets people hooked, so I see how he gets his appeal. No idea how it will end up, but I’ve never been a fear change person, so maybe that helps me ignore most of the bleating political types and why I seldom post on these threads.

I really do think it’s better to generally embrace change than fight it, so whatever your politics, maybe the whole U.K has to just get on with it now.

14 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Well they would when he outs CNN as being elitist ? I’m pretty non political, just thought the man who was largely behind the Leave campaign, should be heard on leaving Europe.

Being ambivalent to most things political and politicians, it’s the fear smear I find interesting from whatever viewpoint. Having met a fair few, they all seem quite self serving bigots; is Farage any different?

However, I think he is right we are entering a new era of populism, for me the right wing have a growing voice in Europe because of it, something that left wing politics is struggling to contend with.

Once heard Farage speak at an investment event. If you take out the politics, he speaks with a passion and calmness that gets people hooked, so I see how he gets his appeal. No idea how it will end up, but I’ve never been a fear change person, so maybe that helps me ignore most of the bleating political types and why I seldom post on these threads.

I really do think it’s better to generally embrace change than fight it, so whatever your politics, maybe the whole U.K has to just get on with it now.

Fair points. You should read the Ian McEwan article I posted earlier too. Summed the whole sorry mess up pretty well.

37 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Good points.

In terms of capability, the top politicians in the UK over the past 5 years odd have been Nigel Farage and Nicola Sturgeon. One is mission accomplished, the other on the move.

(I'd chuck in Ruth Davidson north of the border as a late runner maybe, gaining seats for the Tories up there is pretty good).

You might want to add Bojo but I am not convinced - you could trace his steps through the whole BREXIT episode and he has taken it like a bus to get into No.10. Job done now. Voted down May's deal til he needed it.

Cameron - worst PM we have ever had.

May - brittle and really poor strategist.

Corbyn - really bad. Watch him being interviewed - tense and tetchy that the interviewer is actually asking him questions. Only good when preaching to a room full of the converted.

24 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

What was so earth shattering that would make us Leavers be afraid?

Very few people have any idea of the complex problems and decisions we face, and the whole brexit debate has been dominated by simple slogans. People who have a clue, like Ivan Rogers, have been sidelined, this isn't going tp be an smooth ride.

To quote an informed brexiter

"The problem here is far more serious than I ever thought. We have a dire government with even worse opposition which is never good but we have an incompetent incurious media. That, though, is only half the problem. The media has abandoned its obligation to inform largely because the public have given up on being informed."

https://peterjnorth.blogspot.com/2020/01/sleepwalking-into-chaos.html

https://peterjnorth.blogspot.com/2020/01/a-new-phase-but-same-ignorance-prevails.html

4 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

These are all things that could have been improved if we hadn't wasted the last 4 or 5 years since Cameron announced the EU referendum. 4/5 years of posh boy bants about who might be PM and which position they should adopt to best get power.

They have no interest in the problems you talk about and have offered no reasons why leaving the EU will help. 10 years of Tory rule for what?

Think it was Labour and the Lib Dems that have caused the delays. 

4 years of poo opposition for what? 

4 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Yeah yeah apart from the ERG posh boys who could have voted for May's deal ages ago but just wanted to get power.

But they managed to get May out and Johnson in which led to a landslide election that 'got Brexit done' and a huge majority in the house. 

1 hour ago, Shipley Ram said:

Very few people have any idea of the complex problems and decisions we face, and the whole brexit debate has been dominated by simple slogans. People who have a clue, like Ivan Rogers, have been sidelined, this isn't going tp be an smooth ride.

To quote an informed brexiter

"The problem here is far more serious than I ever thought. We have a dire government with even worse opposition which is never good but we have an incompetent incurious media. That, though, is only half the problem. The media has abandoned its obligation to inform largely because the public have given up on being informed."

https://peterjnorth.blogspot.com/2020/01/sleepwalking-into-chaos.html

https://peterjnorth.blogspot.com/2020/01/a-new-phase-but-same-ignorance-prevails.html

Good posts and precisely the sort of thing that Brexiteers will a) bury their head in the sand about then b) demand to know why they were duped so badly when things go pear shaped.

7 minutes ago, Norman said:

But they managed to get May out and Johnson in which led to a landslide election that 'got Brexit done' and a huge majority in the house. 

A lot of people are going to be seriously fed up when they realise the extent of what still needs sorting out. I can see 'get brexit done' as a phrase that Johnson and friends are haunted with for the rest of their empty lives.

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Good posts and precisely the sort of thing that Brexiteers will a) bury their head in the sand about then b) demand to know why they were duped so badly when things go pear shaped.

Nah, mate. 

The negotiations are about to begin. We need strong leadership throughout the house. That he is right about. 

If our politicians cannot deliver what I believe to be possible, having been well read in Brexit, then, yes, I will demand answers. But what they deliver will be down to personal opinion. Which is why we all have 1 vote each. 

1 minute ago, ariotofmyown said:

A lot of people are going to be seriously fed up when they realise the extent of what still needs sorting out. I can see 'get brexit done' as a phrase that Johnson and friends are haunted with for the rest of their empty lives.

You know everything. Why debate on here when you have all the crystal balls and facts. And you know exactly what I know and don't know about what needs to be done along with 17.4 million others. How do you do it? Or does the Guardian tell you all this? 

Archived